SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-17, 10:04 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Anyone got FZ6 Fazer experience

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a FZ6 Fazer. The half faired version, approx 2007 onwards?

Have struggled with comfort again on my SV for a few longer journeys recently and back to thinking about investing in the bar conversion again. Getting a bit of hip cramp too though so not sure it will solve my problems.

Looking at the list of things i'd like to do to my SV, mainly bars and sorting better suspension I'm thinking the cost is goinhg to be a fair bit and heard a lot about the comfort of the Fazer. Might have a chance to get one at not a bad price and seems fairly similar in spec to the SV650s but better ergonomics.

Can't say I'm that taken by it aesthetically though and I do like my V-Twin and the engine braking. Proportions look a bit off and fairing seems a bit shrunk. Looks very tall too. From what I've heard the exhaust sounds rubbish. All those points are not about the ride though, which is what is important ultimately, especially when spending a few hours on it. Is it worth giving it a try?

Anyone had or ridden one?

I'd have to be impressed to give up my SV though. I do love it depsite the pains it causes me. It rides really nicely.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 14-10-17 at 10:06 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 10:46 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Anyone got FZ6 Fazer experience

I had a 2004 FZ6S, regret selling it. Cracking engine and comfy, did quite a few days mileage in the 300+ range. The exhaust is a monstrosity of a thing that really benefits from an aftermarket upgrade

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 14-10-17 at 10:48 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 12:28 AM   #3
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Aye. Gave one an extended test then bought a Street Triple.
Old 15-10-17, 01:36 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i've spent £1.5K+ on my SV getting it the way i want it and the last challenge was the seat which i finally solved. the fazer with the underseat exhausts is the only 'modern' bike i have sat on that my feet can touch the ground and i was very tempted at one point in getting one.

i think that unless your a big lad/lass or ride two up a lot then there is no point in having anything more the the SV for the road. yes it costs a fortune getting the SV suspension and comfort done but i personally think its worth every penny as it turns a good bike into a superb bike.

is the SV worth spending more than its worth on upgrades depends on how long you are willing to keep it for.

i have had my SV for 7 years and done 36k. it has done everything i have asked or wanted and only broke down twice but i do keep on top of maintenance.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 10:48 AM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

i think that unless your a big lad/lass or ride two up a lot then there is no point in having anything more the the SV for the road.
Is that because of the power is more than needed or the height?

I'm 6 ft and quite comfortable height wise on the SV. The slight stretch forwards feels right to me too. Just over distance I'm not as discplined to keep using my core to balance beteween seat and bars and wrists start to take too much pressure. That coupled with hips feeling slightly too sharply bent even with lower pegs is a problem. Worried the Fazer might be a bit too upright or too tall in general to feel planted with a lower centre of gravity in the way the SV can.
Old 15-10-17, 11:06 AM   #6
Chris_SVS

The Fazer is 10mm lower and longer wheelbase, best part of 10kg heavier and has lower ground clearance. It's very much sitty-uppy with a great engine (midrange tuned R6 lump in the early models) and better suspension from the factory than the SV

An 8stone heavier myself on mine, 2009 ish

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 15-10-17 at 11:19 AM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 11:19 AM   #7
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
That coupled with hips feeling slightly too sharply bent even with lower pegs is a problem. Worried the Fazer might be a bit too upright or too tall in general to feel planted with a lower centre of gravity in the way the SV can.
I haven't ridden a fazer but having a tall bike definitely doesn't make it feel less planted. I'm 5'9 and can barely get my feet flat on the ground on my Dorsoduro. It is a tall bike but is very confidence inspiring and always feels planted. Probably more so than my sv. My sv had gsxr forks, ohlins shock and raised bars too.

In terms of comfort on the dorso, the pegs are so far from the seat I can ride all day on the balls of my feet with no discomfort at all. On the sv my knees would get sore after no time at all riding like that.

So yeah, don't discount a tall bike. They have their advantages if you can touch the ground
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 01:25 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Is that because of the power is more than needed or the height?

I'm 6 ft and quite comfortable height wise on the SV. The slight stretch forwards feels right to me too. Just over distance I'm not as discplined to keep using my core to balance beteween seat and bars and wrists start to take too much pressure. That coupled with hips feeling slightly too sharply bent even with lower pegs is a problem. Worried the Fazer might be a bit too upright or too tall in general to feel planted with a lower centre of gravity in the way the SV can.
size and weight. the heavier you are the more the motor has to work at pulling that weight so stands to reason that if your built large then you require a large bike.

no matter what bike you are riding requires you to have your elbows bent and your forearms as parallel to the road as possible at all times. doing this not only gives better control but also takes the pressure/weight off your wrists. something else you might want to consider is keeping stuff in your trouser pockets. coins, wallet, phones or indeed anything can cause loss of blood circulation which will give numbness/pins'n'needles, discomfort and even more so if you are in the 'sports' riding position. so take everything out your trouser pockets and put it elsewhere.

the more you sit up the more you transfer weight to your bum and the more you need a comfier seat. the ergonomics of the SV are bad and to top that off the seat is really bad.

can i ask why you are concerned about COG?

adding a comfort kit completely transforms the sport SV into feeling like riding a completely different bike and i personally think its one of the best things you can do, the only downside i would say is like any sit up bike you will have the feeling of the front being a bit light/disconnected when cornering at high speeds, dont worry though as you soon get used to it or just lean forward more in corners.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 05:58 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Since fitting a seat with more foam than OEM, I've had much less hip cramp than I used to

You could fit Buell pegs or upside down riser plates for the footrests.

Fitting a comfort kit also improved my long distance capability of my SV, I used Gilles Variobars, just to keep the clip on look.

I think by using a comfort kit, the angle of your hip changes, so less cramps? I know if I do the wrong movement whilst riding, I can get a cramp, but less so these days

I've a set of curvy riser plates somewhere, you flip them to lower the pegs.

My seat is probably an inch and a half taller than OEM
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 06:33 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

You could fit Buell pegs or upside down riser plates for the footrests.
I have the Buell pegs fitted. it's helped but hip angle has still caused cramp a couple of times. Not as bad as before though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Aye. Gave one an extended test then bought a Street Triple.
I sat on a Street and Speed triple when the workshop next door to mine had them in for service. I felt too close to the bars as if I was hanging over the front and slid down the seat into the tank on both. Felt a bit cramped up for me. Pity because I was really considering one after recommendations. Also quite keen to have some sort of fairing for the longer journeys.