SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-06, 12:27 PM   #1
tigerprof

Default Hornet to SVS

I'm seriously thinking about moving from my Hornet to a new SVS, anyone done that and, if so, what's the biggest differences I'll notice (good and bad).

Also, is there anywhere on the forum for comments on dealers?
Old 27-06-06, 12:30 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

I like hornets, hell i even had one for a while alongside the sv.

People say that they are gutless, but i just found that i need revving compared to the SV. They are both fun bikes, both handle well, both have very similar performance.

The main differences you will notice will be low down torque, and a few vibes throught the bars, other than that, they are, imho similar machines, niether better than the other, just different in little ways.

If you have an old Hornet, you will notice that you will get a lot more mpg
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 01:00 PM   #3
The Basket

Odd to go from a Hornet to a SV as they are very alike in what they do.

The SV will have better mpg and tank range, lighter, handles better, more low down and mid range torque.

The Hornet will have better top end power and top speed, comfier and has Honda build quality.
Old 27-06-06, 01:04 PM   #4
Razor

I still want a 900 Hornet, I like the 600. I dunno if I'd go from a 600 hornet to a sv. Sure the SV riders are nicer people but we'll tolerate the occassional hairnet rider that wants to hang out
Old 27-06-06, 01:30 PM   #5
Abyss

I was torn betweenteh hornet and SV for my first bike, I do like one and I may end up moving from the SV to the Hornet 900 at some point.. far far into the future.
Old 27-06-06, 01:32 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I love the Hornet, myself, it's the IL4 SV Basic, fun, more than the sum of its parts. I'd've had one if it weren't for price considerations- though I don't regret that, to be fair.

The big differences are going to be the power and the handling... No getting around the fact that you're way down in power with the SV- though IMO what power the SV has is delivered better than the Hornet. If you enjoy the top end of the Hornet, not so good. If you're annoyed by the flatness of the Hornet when you're not cracking on, then that could work out.

The handling's different... I'm not going to say better or worse, I prefer the SV but the SV's flickable while the Hornet's chuckable. With a 160 rear, there's not an awful lot in it. Hornet seemed to have better suspension from what I remember, though that was ages back.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 03:56 PM   #7
tigerprof

Thanks for the input.

As to why I'm doing it. When I bought the Hornet (secondhand) 3 years back it was a close between the 2 bikes, a Hornet came up right time, right place, right price. Now I want to change (the Hornet is a '99 bike) and fancy something different - I don't need more 'go'. At £4k and 0% finance the SVS is hard to resist.
Old 27-06-06, 04:26 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerprof
Thanks for the input.

As to why I'm doing it. When I bought the Hornet (secondhand) 3 years back it was a close between the 2 bikes, a Hornet came up right time, right place, right price. Now I want to change (the Hornet is a '99 bike) and fancy something different - I don't need more 'go'. At £4k and 0% finance the SVS is hard to resist.
You shouldnt be disapointed in all honesty. With a 99 model, then you will enjoy the fact you can do anywhere between 120-150 miles ebtween fill ups. You will miss that 1st gear howl that the hornet provides
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 05:28 PM   #9
caz650s

Go for the SV you will Love it..forget top speed the SV has real torque that is really usable.
Old 27-06-06, 05:40 PM   #10
instigator

I had a hornet first and an sv second (owned them both at the same time). The hornet was my first big bike (bigger than a 500cc twin) and I have to say, I don't think I'll ever forget the first shot I had on it. Perched on top of the thing, it just begged to go faster and thats the major problem I had with the hornet also - it's fondness of being ridden hard. I couldn't really bimble along on it like I could the sv. I'd want to scream away on the hornet 24/7 whereas on the sv I can be a lot more relaxed but still hustle the thing through the bends when needed.

Quite which one I prefer I don't know. Each one appeals to a different part of me. And although I can get a lot of enjoyment out of riding the sv quick, it won't beat the enjoyment that I got from the hornet being ridden hard.

(Of course the hornet loses out on the fact it has a lower tank range, higher insurance etc.)