SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-06, 10:31 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Sun Risers... again.

I've read many threads on Sun Risers http://www.cliponrisers.com/index.htm, but they tend to peter out after everyone agrees its a good idea..

Has anyone fitted sun risers to a pointy K5?
I'm interested in what compromises have to be made, if there is any fouling with the fairing or screen on full lock, if the levers can still remain in the same position, and if I need to change the front brake hose to a longer one. On the last point, although the installation suggests it is not nescessary K3 onwards, it looks a bit of a stretch all the same.. A replacement braided 14" hose is just another 35$ on the price. The front brake light switch wiring extension looks a bodge, I'd have to do something better than they suggest.

With the favourable US exchange rate, the risers, 14" hose and shipping come in at about £117 currently.

I know from previous threads that many people like to change all the brake hoses for better braking performance, but personally I'm happy with the slightly spongy brakes as they are, and so I'm happy just to replace what is nescessary to raise the bars.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

I have days off Wednesday / Thursday for various things, I already have a kettle and some Hood jeans on the shopping list, I could add the risers to it as well if it looks a good idea
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 10:45 PM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

I don't know how much the sun risers are but this looks like worth a look

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/Exclusives.htm

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 11:14 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Sun Risers are similar price, wee bit cheaper maybe.
Interesting.. They dont look as adjustable nor made from such a good material, but they don't require you to destroy your originals either. Not much info on the site, doesn't say if suitable for all years of SV.
Also, the cliponrisers site reckons the upper yolk clamp needs a special tool to remove on K3 onwards, though the banditmania site shows them fitted to a newer SV ok.
Old 01-05-06, 11:20 PM   #4
amarko5

speak to our admin man John he fitted some sunrisers in fact its on the main page somewhere

i think it may have been his old sv but the theory is the same
Old 01-05-06, 11:26 PM   #5
amarko5

www.sv650.org/sv_restorer.htm thats the link scroll down to 2005
Old 02-05-06, 01:13 PM   #6
viner

Fitted mine to my pointy sv650s K3 a year ago, or so, I did have to mess around with the brake assembly somewhat as it did fowl (?) the fairing on full left hand lock - I just followed the suggestions/instructions that came with the Sunrisers regarding that little matter and have had no problem whatsoever since. I didnt need an extended brake hose and have had no trouble with that either. The biggest trouble was sawing off the original bars..but other than that I do not have any complaints whatsoever and in fact I enjoy riding the bike much better now as I have less weight on my wrists and neck - which at my age is a godsend!!!!!
I think I paid just about 100 pounds for mine including postage and got 'em within 10 days and HM Customs were kind to me and never charged me import taxes etc etc
Old 02-05-06, 01:14 PM   #7
viner

Fitted mine to my pointy sv650s K3 a year ago, or so, I did have to mess around with the brake assembly somewhat as it did fowl (?) the fairing on full left hand lock - I just followed the suggestions/instructions that came with the Sunrisers regarding that little matter and have had no problem whatsoever since. I didnt need an extended brake hose and have had no trouble with that either. The biggest trouble was sawing off the original bars..but other than that I do not have any complaints whatsoever and in fact I enjoy riding the bike much better now as I have less weight on my wrists and neck - which at my age is a godsend!!!!!
I think I paid just about 100 pounds for mine including postage and got 'em within 10 days and HM Customs were kind to me and never charged me import taxes etc etc
Old 02-05-06, 11:55 PM   #8
tigersaw
Mega Poster

ahh pants I never considered import duty. Something ridiculous like 3.5% then 17.5% on that again then another £10 for the collection of the duty.
Anyone know for sure, anyone had to pay ( or not pay ) duty on sun risers?
Old 03-05-06, 09:13 AM   #9
richwill68

I fitted Sun-Risers last year. Initially I thought they were ace but....... I didn't like the idea of using epoxy resin to 'fix' my 'adjustable' bars for which I paid a handsome sum. The whole reason for fitting adjustables to my mind is to , well, adjust them as and when you please.

After about six months the fit of the clamps became slack, eventually failing under load! Luckily I was only wheeling the machine out of the garage.

Eventually went for an SV-N top yoke conversion which I find excellent.

You pays your money and takes your choice........choose wisely
Old 03-05-06, 09:42 AM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

If I were you I'll buy the ones from banditmania. They are not much more money and it looks like the tubes are removable so cheap and easy to change if damaged(touch wood).

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote