SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-10-08, 08:12 PM   #1
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Honda Hornet Experience

So, as per my crashy McGee thread (caused by donkey whilst stationary), I have been riding the Hornet for three weeks on Friday, so thought would give you my views for anyone that might be interested. Firstly, bare in mind I have only ever wridden for large amounts of time my SV so I am comparing it to that.

Having read a review in a recent bike magazine I was really looking forward to spending time on it. The magazine was full of praise for it and even mentioned that its 0-60 time is apparently quicker than a ZX-10R!!!!!

Anyways, first off machinery. Walking round the bike it appears nice and tidy, typical Honda in that everything appears to be in the right place and it shows some designer at Honda really thought hard bout it. First dissapointment however, considering Honda's reputation for build quality, the exahust welds are attrocious and it just looks poor. Also, the bench seat is sooooooooooo difficult to get off. But, the space under there is worst than my SV!!!!!

As for riding, I will split it up into sections......

First off, slow bimling and traffic......this is where I found this so much easier than the SV, the riding position is armchair esque and it is easy to steer and nice and nippy whilst filtering.

At speed, well, this is where it becomes interesting. The acceleration on this thing is quite immense compared to the SV, drop from 4th to 2nd at thirty and bang open the throttle and you literally wrench the arms out of their sockets (you can tell I'm a fairing man!!!!).

Finally, mach speed!!!!!! When using the bike at 8k rpm more it is crazy, the acceleration just hits like a brick wall.

The suspension and brakes are far superior to the SV. When riding the suspension is noticebly firm and one gripe is that the front is not adjustable.

So........having ridden this for a couple of weeks now, the question is......would I buy one????? Well....to be honest no......Yes it has its good points, but, there is something missing, I can't put my finger on it but it just isn't fun. Its perfectly capable as a mile muncher, but, for fun I find it quiet boring and want my SV back. I'm missing the torqueeeeeness of the SV and I'm missing the engine brakeing like you would not believe. Also, through the corners the SV seems more planted and nippier.

If I was in the market for a naked bike, then I think I would look at a Triple.....but......if I was looking for a sports bike then the engine within a CBR600RR is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry tempting (The Hornets lump is based on this). For me, the lump is the only bit of this bike that I really like.

Anyways, I've ranted on enough and have also realised how carp I am at doing reviews, so if anyone has got this far then congrats.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-08, 08:16 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Honda Hornet Experience

thats not bad....... all made sence
Old 22-10-08, 08:17 PM   #3
zsv650

didnt you find the hornet a bit fat and short i tried one and it put me right off just didnt seem well balanced too me.oh and good little review there well done.
Old 22-10-08, 08:18 PM   #4
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

PS - If anyone else has ridden one and can "put their finger on" what is missing, then please feel free to add their views......I just can't seem to work out what feels so wrong bout it !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 22-10-08, 08:18 PM   #5
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
didnt you find the hornet a bit fat and short i tried one and it put me right off just didnt seem well balanced too me.oh and good little review there well done.
Yup, thought the tank is much wider than really needs to be.

Old 22-10-08, 08:19 PM   #6
zsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
PS - If anyone else has ridden one and can "put their finger on" what is missing, then please feel free to add their views......I just can't seem to work out what feels so wrong bout it !?!?!?!?!?!?!?
theres two too many of something take a guess
Old 22-10-08, 08:33 PM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
I had a Hornet. It did everything I asked of it, I was still rebuilding confidence after my off. It was OK, but like you I found it bland and rather boring, even though I never pushed it. It performed like a robot, predictable, reliable, but it didn't have a soul. Or if it did, I never found it.
Old 22-10-08, 10:38 PM   #8
fastdruid
Mega Poster

I had one as a hire bike after the crash that ended my SV's road going life.

I wasn't too impressed, I too loved the way it took off but found it lack luster below there and most of the time was wanting the extra grunt of the SV rather than the extra power as the power was mostly faster than the limit of the road I was on (or 3 gears lower than the one I was in!)

I actually found the suspension far softer and worse in comparison but then I had USD forks etc on the SV!

It made me really miss riding the SV.

Druid
Old 22-10-08, 11:17 PM   #9
DanAbnormal

Isn't fun?

To each their own but it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I've owned 2 and ridden many others. Best bike for the money. If you prefer v twins then so be it but to accuse the Hornet of not being fun is just rubbish. You sure you even rode one properly? I've owned 15 bikes and the Hornet is by and far the most amount of fun Ive ever had on two wheels plus it's comfy and great for touring too.

End of.

Last edited by DanAbnormal; 22-10-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 22-10-08, 11:30 PM   #10
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
Isn't fun?

To each their own but it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I've owned 2 and ridden many others. Best bike for the money.

End of.

Most fun bike you've ever ridden......in a two week period before swapping it for a brand new kwak ZX6R/street triple/ZX-10R/Z1000
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote