SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-08-12, 11:20 AM   #1
tinychaos42

Default 2005 model - puffing exhaust, low power in low revs

Hi guys,

sorry for the incorrect terms first of all - I am not native English and also not an experienced mechanic either.

I got a 2005 650 with about 14k miles this May. Proper service history from recognised dealer. Was running smoothly so far on daily commutes as well as some weekend rides (150-200kms). Got a full service from the dealer when I bought it.

This morning it all started up fine, after about 5 miles I noticed low power in the lower revs (2-3k rpm). Few minutes after it stalled if I took off after red light with low power, had to rev up until (approx) 4-5-6k rpm. In the upper rev region it went pretty much the normal way, got the power.

At the end of the commute, around 10 miles, I noticed a different sound at idle or low rev region, I'd say kind of low and puffy noise, bit of uneven engine cycles. I looked back to the exhaust and when I opened the throttle a bit, I saw some bit of grey smoke coming out (to be honest I have to say I don't know if that comes out within normal conditions like that but I don't think so).

At low revs when I took of the bike still stalled (not the kind of way you'd stall a car, but it just cut off). I was able to restart it every time by opening the throttle a bit). I got to workplace with higher than normal revs, the weird sound continued till the end. After parking, I pulled the throttle standing next to the bike, clutch open, and engine was still puffing and uneven + still stalled, but normal sound came out in idle and higher revs. Got enough petrol in it and the engine oil level is normal.

Went down after an hour, and the symptoms disappeared, normal startup, normal sound in all revs, no puffing whatsoever.

Questions: I know you'd possibly have to check the bike properly to answer the questions 'what might be wrong', so my only question is that can I possibly ride it back the same distance, about 10 miles to my local service shop?

Sorry for the lengthy post,

Cheers
Old 28-08-12, 11:56 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2005 model - puffing exhaust, low power in low revs

From your description it sounds as if it may have been running only on one cylinder.

There are abundant reasons why this could occur, some more common than others but a diagnosis is still a bit hit or miss without more information.

However, whilst I can't be entirely certain, as if it now runs and as long as you're careful not to put yourself in a position where you're utterly reliant on the engine's power - overtaking, going for a diminishing gap in traffic for example - it should be fine to ride it to the shop so they can take a look at it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 01:48 PM   #3
tinychaos42

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I'll take a few small laps after work around the office and take it home as you suggested. I'll post later what the mechanic has found.

Thanks again,

Zsolt
Old 28-08-12, 08:54 PM   #4
tinychaos42

Got home, no more puffing, normal power in all rev zones. Went around a few circles before leaving office and after arriving home, nothing noticed. Which is a bit annoying, have nothing to show to the mechanic, without that they might be a bit lost as well. We'll see tomorrow..
Old 28-08-12, 09:26 PM   #5
monkey

Intermittent faults. The stuff life is made of.
Old 29-08-12, 09:45 AM   #6
tinychaos42

No symptoms today morning either. Went to the repair shop anyways, he said there's nothing quick to check if there's nothing wrong. Opened the throttle for a while, nice sound. He said if it happens again, worth checking the cabling underneath the tank, electronics can go bonkers sometimes. Came back to the office, nothing wrong. Just thought I'll update the thread. Sorry (or I am glad), no conclusion. Thanks again!
Old 29-08-12, 02:03 PM   #7
monkey

Was it raining or wet out when you had the problem?
Old 29-08-12, 02:14 PM   #8
tinychaos42

Nope, but I washed it the day before and that involved the use of pressure washer as well. The bike got more than 12 hours to dry up afterwards, so I doubt if that could be the problem, or could it?
Old 29-08-12, 02:44 PM   #9
monkey

It's possible. The general consensus is not to use pressure washers on road bikes because you can easily spray water where it isn't wanted or spray grease out from where it is wanted.

I'd just sit on it. Sounds like whatever it was may have cleared.