SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-05-09, 12:34 PM   #1
apple tango

Default New SV owner - various questions

Afternoon all,

I'm new to the forum, and will be a new SV owner within the next week. I am getting a naked 02 model, in black, with 7500 miles. I am part exchanging it for my 1999 Bandit 600 as i wanted something a little newer and lighter.

Anywho, i have a few questions before i officially own it, if anyone doesn't mind answering.

I really like the look of SV's when they have the 2 small dominator lights. Are they relatively easy to fit? Some come without the mounting brackets, can i just use the existing ones?

I also think a bellypan improves the look of the bike. Are these pretty easy to fit too?

I think the bike i'm getting has the stock exhaust. Can anyone tell me if this sounds good or not? I'm tempted to buy a sexy sounding can if not. Again, are these easy to fit?

Please bare in mind that my knowledge of bike mechanics is pretty limited. The most advance stuff i have done is an oil/filter change

I'm really looking forward to getting my SV. I hope it feels a little more powerful than my Bandit, and lighter. My Bandit was such a big, heavy clunky piece of metal.

Thanks.
Old 27-05-09, 12:45 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: New SV owner - various questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple tango View Post
Afternoon all,

I'm new to the forum, and will be a new SV owner within the next week. I am getting a naked 02 model, in black, with 7500 miles. I am part exchanging it for my 1999 Bandit 600 as i wanted something a little newer and lighter.

Anywho, i have a few questions before i officially own it, if anyone doesn't mind answering.

I really like the look of SV's when they have the 2 small dominator lights. Are they relatively easy to fit? Some come without the mounting brackets, can i just use the existing ones?

I also think a bellypan improves the look of the bike. Are these pretty easy to fit too?

I think the bike i'm getting has the stock exhaust. Can anyone tell me if this sounds good or not? I'm tempted to buy a sexy sounding can if not. Again, are these easy to fit?

Please bare in mind that my knowledge of bike mechanics is pretty limited. The most advance stuff i have done is an oil/filter change

I'm really looking forward to getting my SV. I hope it feels a little more powerful than my Bandit, and lighter. My Bandit was such a big, heavy clunky piece of metal.

Thanks.
Hi Apple, welcome to the forum. Shame about the choice of SV model though but we cant all own pointies ......<ducks down for cover>

Those lights normally state whether they will fit original brackets if they are sold for the SV but you can buy new brackets for around £20 anyway if needed. Easy to fit. At worst you may need to join wires up but all depends on how handy you are really. There is plenty of advice around on here to help you through the jobs though.

Undertrays are normally very easy to fit, they are often sold specifically for the model and come with fitting kits or use the original mounting points.

There's no immeadiate need to swap out the stock exhaust unless you want to. Replacements tend to look nicer, maybe lighter and almost always sounds better. Try with what you have first and replace when you fancy.

None of those jobs will be particularly difficult to do.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 12:46 PM   #3
Corf

hey

not sure myself on these answers but if you do a search there are loads of answers to your questions and 'how to' discussions.

hope you enjoy your new bike.
Old 27-05-09, 12:54 PM   #4
Jamiebridges123

Welcome to the forums!

Everything you mentioned should be easy enough for anyone that just takes their time and knows one end of a spanner from another.

The exhaust is probably the most daunting as you have to cut the standard one off but most aftermarket ones comes with instructions for this.
Old 27-05-09, 01:10 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

You'll love your bike, sv's handles much nicer than the bandit IMO. Lighter and a bit less common too. Not sure about speed performance though

Firstly; thing to bear in mind with the dominator lights is your lighting will be ****, not just for riding at night but if your the sort who likes to be seen in the day time by the way of headlights then they are far less noticeable. Well on the ones I've seen anyway, real top quality dominators might be different.

As said above trays are **** easy to fit, just don't overtighten the bolts as they go into your engine casings. Pretty expensive for what they are though in my opinion £50-£150 new. I've ended up crudely repairing one for myself as they do look good and finish off the shape nicely.

Exhaust needs to be done I'm afraid. I'm not going to lie to you, the fact of the matter is I'd put my bike in the bin if it didn't have the race system it has on it now (or at the least a can). I wouldn't even give it the respect of selling it on, bin. There's no need for a full system though, a race can does the same job (audio & weight) there's no massive improvements with the full system.

Last edited by Dave20046; 27-05-09 at 01:12 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 04:58 PM   #6
apple tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
You'll love your bike, sv's handles much nicer than the bandit IMO. Lighter and a bit less common too. Not sure about speed performance though

You have made me even more excited about getting it with this comment . Maybe i should've re-phrased my comment though. I'm hoping that the SV will have better acceleration than my Bandit. I'm not one for going 100000mph (think i went over 80mph once in 18 months!) but i do enjoy the sheer acceleration of bikes. The SV should feel lighter so i'm going to enjoy throwing it around a bit.

Firstly; thing to bear in mind with the dominator lights is your lighting will be ****, not just for riding at night but if your the sort who likes to be seen in the day time by the way of headlights then they are far less noticeable. Well on the ones I've seen anyway, real top quality dominators might be different.

Would using more powerful bulbs work in the dominators?

As said above trays are **** easy to fit, just don't overtighten the bolts as they go into your engine casings. Pretty expensive for what they are though in my opinion £50-£150 new. I've ended up crudely repairing one for myself as they do look good and finish off the shape nicely.

Yeah, i've checked them out on Ebay and they do seem expensive for a bit of plastic. I think i'll still get one though. Theres too much space down there with just the one down pipe.

Exhaust needs to be done I'm afraid. I'm not going to lie to you, the fact of the matter is I'd put my bike in the bin if it didn't have the race system it has on it now (or at the least a can). I wouldn't even give it the respect of selling it on, bin. There's no need for a full system though, a race can does the same job (audio & weight) there's no massive improvements with the full system.

A race can sounds like a must have then. Do you recommend any ones for around £150ish? I think Beowulf ones are good on Bandits. Same on SV's?
Old 27-05-09, 05:02 PM   #7
apple tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
Welcome to the forums!

The exhaust is probably the most daunting as you have to cut the standard one off but most aftermarket ones comes with instructions for this.
Cut it off? Sounds like something i could easily mess up! What tool is needed to do this?
Old 27-05-09, 05:49 PM   #8
Kuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post

Welcome to the forums! I'm also a new sv owner (I pick it up on saturday!) tho i've been ere for only afew days everyone is really helpful!

Tho mines a slightly different model (09reg full faired pointy sport) is the can really that bad?? I love the looks of the bike but its got to sound right too . Whats a good road legal can and will it affect the insurance?
Old 27-05-09, 05:59 PM   #9
rusty76

Hi Apple,

I've got a naked curvy as well (since Jan). So far mods I've done are fenda extenda, fiam horn, and screen (which I don't like the look of but does make an improvement at speed). However, the number one change has been the can, an absolute must (IMHO), always makes me grin
Old 27-05-09, 05:59 PM   #10
nictry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuze View Post
Welcome to the forums! I'm also a new sv owner (I pick it up on saturday!) tho i've been ere for only afew days everyone is really helpful!

Tho mines a slightly different model (09reg full faired pointy sport) is the can really that bad?? I love the looks of the bike but its got to sound right too . Whats a good road legal can and will it affect the insurance?
Hey you must be my twin!!! I pick up my 09 sport on Saturday too!!!!

I have just joined the forum as I have been out of biking for nearly 20 years and have already got lots of useful advice off here. Looking forward to being back on a bike and a SV seemed a pretty good choice to me