SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-21, 09:31 PM   #1
Tomjohnson

Lightbulb Sv650 wiring loom

Hi there
I am building a quad and putting this engine in
I got the engine with no wiring loom but I now have the loom and ecu and clocks but when I put power to it the clocks don’t light up but all the plugs have power. The fuel pump I am putting on doesn’t seem to power up either so I’m thinking there is something I will need to make everything work. If anyone could help me please it would be very much appreciated
Regards
Tom
Tomjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 09:27 AM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 wiring loom

There are various safety interlocks that may prevent the pump from priming, such as the neutral engaged, clutch position and sidestand. Have you bypassed those?
Old 14-01-21, 09:56 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Welcome. So you come to us having ripped out the heart of some poor SV and now want us to become party to your crime as you build your Franken-quad? Not only that but you ask us about our pet hate - bike electrics? j/k

As Admin said, the interlock circuits for sidestand and neutral switch and also the kill switch circuit will disable the fuel pump. Fuse 3 is fuel pump power.

This thread from the US site has suggestions about no dash power:
https://www.svrider.com/threads/inst...orking.146852/

edit: post #7 on this thread has a (link to) list of what each dash connection pin does:
https://www.svrider.com/threads/2nd-...1st-gen.61310/

Last edited by Seeker; 14-01-21 at 10:11 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 10:11 AM   #4
Tomjohnson

Ah brilliant would you guys be able to send me a picture of the plugs for the neutral, clutch position and side stand. The engine and wiring loom is a 2005 if that helps. I’m sorry I’ve taken the engine out of a beauty bike but I blew up my old quad engine and it was only a 200cc and was wanting to build something that would be pretty cool so an sv650 sounded like it was going to be the thing for the project. Thank you very much guys
Old 14-01-21, 10:42 AM   #5
admin
John T
Mega Poster

You might be better off googling those images or getting hold of a manual. What year did the engine come from?
Old 14-01-21, 10:46 AM   #6
Tomjohnson

It came from a 2005. I have googled the pictures and I will try bypass all them tonight as they aren’t things I will need other than neutral one maybe but I mostly just need the engine to run for what I’m using it for.
Thank you very much
Old 14-01-21, 10:51 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjohnson View Post
Ah brilliant would you guys be able to send me a picture of the plugs for the neutral, clutch position and side stand
The simple answer is no. Not because we are churlish but because I'm not sure they exist. We would normally follow the wiring from the existing switch to the loom. Here's a link to the gen2 service manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...i-Sv650-S.html

There are snippets of info that may help. Here's a picture of the main wiring harness from Fowlers fiche:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...v650k5k6uk5uk6

Item #17 is the sidestand switch

The neutral switch is harder since it's part of the gearbox diagram and it only shows the switch:
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...g-model-k5k6k7
Item #39 is the neutral switch.

The clutch switch sits on the left handlebar (duh!) because it's operated by the clutch lever but I can't find a link to that harness.

The only other suggestion I have is to investigate the race harness which some people use on their race bikes to eliminate the road stuff they don't need:
https://lwtracer.com/lwt-racing-bike...2nd-gen-03-06/

This is the wiring diagram in case you don't have one:

Old 14-01-21, 10:59 AM   #8
Tomjohnson

Thank you very much for the diagram, I will use that tonight after work and look at bypassing some of the connections and then hopefully the screen will light up.
The screen and clocks don’t light up at all even when the battery is on and key is on but if you get a light tester and connect it to the negative of the battery and then the other end to one of the prongs in a plug on the loom some of the screen lights up and the odd indicator light or something else if you get what I mean.
Old 14-01-21, 12:46 PM   #9
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjohnson View Post
Thank you very much for the diagram, I will use that tonight after work and look at bypassing some of the connections and then hopefully the screen will light up.
The screen and clocks don’t light up at all even when the battery is on and key is on but if you get a light tester and connect it to the negative of the battery and then the other end to one of the prongs in a plug on the loom some of the screen lights up and the odd indicator light or something else if you get what I mean.
Is everything earthed? That's the return path for a lot of the circuits.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-21, 02:20 PM   #10
Tomjohnson

Ah that’ll be why then, I haven’t earthed the battery to anything I’m just bench testing the loom, I will have to wait till my frame is built and then earth it to that.
Just to be correct there is only one earth(from the battery to the frame)?
If there is more could someone tell me please