SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-03-11, 03:07 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default MW10 - Contravention of special roads regulations (not inc. speeding) - why so harsh on insurance?

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me why I am getting such horrific anal rapage on the insurance front with this particular endorsement on my license. This isn't a rant about getting caught or the police, I'm just simply trying to get my head around why the MW10 is making my insurance so much more expensive..

The background:
I was joining the m62 motorway in west yorkshire after work one evening. The sliproad has 2 lanes going up onto the motorway, but as they start to merge with the m'way, the left most lane splits off and acts as a 'crawler lane' for slower vehicles, while the lane on the right just joins onto the motorway normally over maybe 150-200 yards. At the point where these 2 lanes split, they're bordered by a solid white line.

I was in the right hand lane trying to get on but there was some nugget in a car (austin metro/old skoda fabia from 1961 etc.) who was driving at 40mph in the slow lane/lane 1 of the motorway. 6 inches behind him was an articulated lorry who obviously thought he could persuade said driver to pick up his speed a little bit by getting so close.

Blocked from getting on I checked my rearview mirror, nearside mirror and then physically over my shoulder into the nearside blindspot - no vehicles within 300 yards of me in that lane, so I nipped over the white line into this lane to avoid making the lorry have to change direction or brake. I knew it was illegal to cross a solid white line but it seemed a better option than trying to squeeze my car in a gap which even tinkerbell would have trouble flying through.

The police traffic car sat behind the lorry already on the motorway nipped in behind me and promptly gave me a ticket despite explaining not wanting to make the lorry "change direction or brake". 3 points, £60 fine. No bad attitude, politely answered all the questions they asked with as much information as possible. I know a fair few people in the police and they're all down to earth individuals - there's only one I know of who's a real life nobber but he's a friend of a friend who's quite high up in north yorkshire's traffic section. The rest of them are regular humans.

Fair enough, Thanks for your time guys and sorry to have given you reason to have stopped me. I've managed 7 years of driving without any points and everyone says that 3 points doesn't affect your insurance too much anyway......

WRONG

Each time I've done a quote online with and without this MW10 endorsement the following quotes have calculated:

Audi S4 F.C. with 8 years NCB (admittedly a group 20 car with a reputation for being nicked twice a week before being used in ram-raids across the midlands)
without points: around £750
with points: approx £1000 was the cheapest quote I managed to get (33% extra)

VW Camper worth about £4k and capable of 100mph with tail wind
without points: £520
with points: £780 (50% more - for a friggin van? with a cooker and a bed in the back? Do they think I'm gonna do a drive by B&B jobbie on someone? "Have a bacon sandwich you slag!!!" Bosch!" *Drives off slowly*)

I genuinely wouldn't mind if it was maybe £100 or even £150 extra for crossing a solid white line on a carriageway where all the traffic is travelling in the same direction, I understand that rules are rules, and they're there for a reason, but I can't work out why I'm getting such a shafting for an endorsement which sounds so trivial when you read it off of the counterpart - in comparison to say - TWOC, drink driving, driving while disqualified or 'motor racing on the highway' (MS50 if you're interested)..

"MW10 - contravention of special roads regulations (not inc. speeding)" - as taken from the direct-gov site.

........so, is there any reason why MW10 would carry such a penalty which feels like it's on a par with having drink drive points on my license?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:18 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: MW10 - Contravention of special roads regulations (not inc. speeding) - why so harsh on insurance?

I'd wager its one of those endorcements which covers a wide range of things, ie you were only crossing a white line which you deemed safe to do but for someone else they may recieve the same thing for going the wrong way around a round about. Insurance company dont know which one you've been booked for so assume the worst case and more importantly you pay more them more

Similar one on my licence in case I've not made the above clear enough flower pot is my LC20 - Driving otherwise in accordance with the licence. I picked those up for not having 'L' plates on the DT, but thats the same code as people get who are caught driving a car when they dont have a licence. (What gutted me is there is such thing as a PL10 (failure to display L plates) doesnt effect insurance half as much so dunno why I wasnt given one of those
Old 09-03-11, 03:22 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: MW10 - Contravention of special roads regulations (not inc. speeding) - why so harsh on insurance?

I would imagine that certain codes carry a stigma. Like a TS10, basically jumping a red light.
My friend rolled through a red light then stopped and she received a TS10. It was genuine mistake and knowing the junction, didn't cause any danger to herself or the other traffic, yet she gets done the same as if she hammered through it at 50mph making cars crash etc.

Sadly, its just the way it is im afraid. I got 2 speeding convictions within a year of each other and its amazing the difference that caused on my insurance. Insurance will use any excuse to get some more hard earned off you.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:22 PM   #4
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

I did wonder if it was a bit of a blanket term or if historically it has a high degree of damage/injuries/danger associated with it..

Not trying to make out that what I did was ok or that it was 'safe' as my judgement of 'safe' doesn't come into it where the law is concerned. Rules is rules. Just wanted to try and find out if I'd have been better asking him to put it down as 'DCK-HD10 - driving like a cockhead' - might have sounded worse but atleast I wouldn't be as skint as a result

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..

Last edited by Paul the 6th; 09-03-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 03:37 PM   #5

why didnt you take it to court?

ps... sorry bout the fricking insurance?

most years it wouldn't make a difference but this year any reason to shaft they are.. mine went up by 50 % as a named driver because someone ran into my car and their insurance payed out?
Old 09-03-11, 04:03 PM   #6
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
why didnt you take it to court?

ps... sorry bout the fricking insurance?

most years it wouldn't make a difference but this year any reason to shaft they are.. mine went up by 50 % as a named driver because someone ran into my car and their insurance payed out?

how very dangerous of you alex... you should have been more responsible, left the car at home and walked everywhere so as not to risk anybody driving into you. And was that with protected NCB? sorry mate..

I can understand with the s4 rocket of doom, but a flippin van which can stop from 60 quicker than it can power itself to 60, designed for leisurely drives through the country, bit of mountain biking, bbq's and watersports etc... the insurance on that is 50% extra?

In retrospect I wish I had maybe taken it to court but at the time I was thinking "3 points and £60 fine never hurt anybodies' insurance. Whats the point of risking a more severe penalty, court costs and time off work explaining to some judge why I didn't try and put myself under a truck, when I could just sign the form, get off home and live happily ever after......."

Hey ho.. Tried playing the insurance game by putting Dani as named driver with me as a 2nd driver. LOL £1100+ as she's only just 21. Best combo seems to be me as main driver her as 2nd driver as it's basically the same price for just me, or me and her.

Old 09-03-11, 04:35 PM   #7
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
Whats the point of risking a more severe penalty, court costs and time off work explaining to some judge .....
Yeah cos your boss is right *****
Old 09-03-11, 04:43 PM   #8
davepreston

maybe the insurance companies have seen your driving
Old 09-03-11, 05:00 PM   #9
AndyBrad

Quote:
I can understand with the s4 rocket of doom, but a flippin van which can stop from 60 quicker than it can power itself to 60, designed for leisurely drives through the country, bit of mountain biking, bbq's and watersports etc... the insurance on that is 50% extra?

I DIDNT THINK SHE WAS THAT KIND OF GIRL!

Doh caps

anyhoo same boat chap. there just going to screw you over whatever now. Wanna buy a focus im going to start using the bus/bike 100% now as its costing too much for a group6 car!
Old 09-03-11, 05:05 PM   #10
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Do they think I'm gonna do a drive by B&B jobbie on someone? "Have a bacon sandwich you slag!!!" Bosch!" *Drives off slowly*

Can't help with why it's such a big price hike for that offence but that bit did make me laugh