SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-15, 01:10 PM   #11
Redmist

Default Re: Live Tyre Temperature Data - Interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
Where would the temp sensor be? just watching your video I can see its very sensitive to your finger etc.
Id worry that the wind would skew the sensors readings once moving.

Excellent project though, and an impressive use of a Nokia Phone screen
The sensor can either overhang the mudguard or look thru it with a hold drilled in the top of it. So the sensor will be around 30-40mm away from the tyre surface.

It works by detecting infra red light waves emitted by the object it is pointed at. Therefore wind should not be an issue, after all your vision of an object is not affected by the wind blowing between you and it. At least that is my understanding!

At the rear, the sensor will probably be further away if I clip it to the small shock guard that the SV comes with. I have seen that when you vary the distance of the sensor to an object, it does make the sensor read varying temperatures. This may be due to its field of view changing to see past the object you want to read (By reading past the sides of the tyre) or something else I'm unaware of.

I have added an offset value so that I can tune the sensor to its mounting position and by using a known calibrated device to compare, I can "setup" the sensor to match what it should be reading.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-15, 07:52 PM   #12
Redmist

Some more progress today:

The plastic parts I designed and had printed arrived from shapeways.com

It was great to see that they work great, the fit is close enough to provide a very good friction fit around both the sensor itself and the cable.

No glue required. However, to make them waterproof I will pour some epoxy resin around the sensor and along the joins.

Assembly:

Ready to mount:

Into the shed to find the front fender.....

Old 18-11-15, 10:10 PM   #13
Redmist

I managed to install the system on the bike in my shed!
The front sensor overhangs the front fender / mudguard.
The rear sensor looks thru the shock guard plastic piece.

I tried a static test without the engine running:

(Ignore the whitenoise before each value, it is telling me 7 and 8 degrees but I forgot to program for single digit numbers and it is giving us giberish for the first character)

So front = 7 and rear = 8.

Lets check front:

Lets check rear:

Looking good so far.......

Old 19-11-15, 09:51 PM   #14
Redmist

Today I road tested the system, hey presto it works!

Obviously need to try it out on a nice warm day too!

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Old 20-11-15, 08:02 AM   #15
Cymraeg_Atodeg

This is coming along quite well, I still would like to have a set on my R6 just to see what tyres get to when out on a blast, they always feel really hot and it'd be nice to see them changing in real-time on a ride.

Top job!
Old 20-11-15, 09:17 AM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I'm going to be really interested to see how or if temperatures vary across they tyre once you start running multiple sensors. My feelings are that the majority of the heat in the tyre is retained within the carcass so the surface temp on the shoulders should only drop marginally if you ride in a straight line for a period of time, but it would be nice to see if that's right.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 09:41 AM   #17
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Although it's interesting to be able to see the temperature read out, it might be worth adding/replacing it with a traffic light system, which may be more useful on the track.

So Red/Amber/Green lights which you could preset, so that Red is less than 60% of the target temperature, Amber 80%, Green 100% or more. That way, it's easier to see quickly if the tires are at the temp you're after.

Just a thought
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 01:10 PM   #18
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg View Post
This is coming along quite well, I still would like to have a set on my R6 just to see what tyres get to when out on a blast, they always feel really hot and it'd be nice to see them changing in real-time on a ride.

Top job!
Indeed it was interesting to see that even rolling less than a hundred feet started to bring the temperatures up. These road tyres are magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm going to be really interested to see how or if temperatures vary across they tyre once you start running multiple sensors. My feelings are that the majority of the heat in the tyre is retained within the carcass so the surface temp on the shoulders should only drop marginally if you ride in a straight line for a period of time, but it would be nice to see if that's right.
Agreed, Indeed all sorts of things are taken into account, the wheel itself will sap heat initially but would then help to maintain temps on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Although it's interesting to be able to see the temperature read out, it might be worth adding/replacing it with a traffic light system, which may be more useful on the track.

So Red/Amber/Green lights which you could preset, so that Red is less than 60% of the target temperature, Amber 80%, Green 100% or more. That way, it's easier to see quickly if the tires are at the temp you're after.

Just a thought
I'm already on it Nobby, I will soon be developing a new readout screen which will have colour. Therefore I can make it look nicer, perhaps with an image of a bike where the wheels either glow red, amber and green.
Sadly the first one that got delivered was cracked so just waiting on the replacement.

Old 20-11-15, 03:42 PM   #19
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
I'm already on it Nobby, I will soon be developing a new readout screen which will have colour. Therefore I can make it look nicer, perhaps with an image of a bike where the wheels either glow red, amber and green.
Sadly the first one that got delivered was cracked so just waiting on the replacement.
Sounds cool....I still think something basic is of the most benefit to racers/trackday enthusiasts. Normal road users looking for bling are something else though
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 06:53 PM   #20
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Sounds cool....I still think something basic is of the most benefit to racers/trackday enthusiasts. Normal road users looking for bling are something else though
Agreed, nobody has time to look at the screen on track, it needs to be visible in the peripheral vision.

I hope I can combine both simplicity and good looks, we will see.

There are a few settings which I think it is nice for the operator of the system to be able to change. Using LEDs only will not allow this so the screen gives me that functionality.