SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-05, 01:06 AM   #1
SlightlyModdedSV

Default Does anyone know how to check a stator?

Has anyone had any problems with their speedo guage tach and fuel light turning on and off while riding. If so what was the problem?
If anyone could help with checking the stator voltage and resistance I would appreicciate it.
Thanks,
Old 01-04-05, 02:59 AM   #2
kern0079

Check the repair manual for the resistances. On my SK1 to check the stator voltage you unplug the regulator/rectifier. Then with the bike running at 5000rpm the voltage between the 3 output wires should be 75 volts ac if i remember correctly.

Never had any problems with the lights however.

Does anyone know if a late model stator fits a curvey???
Old 01-04-05, 03:06 AM   #3
SlightlyModdedSV

Which wires are you supposed to check, I heard the pink? What are the early warning signs of a stator going out?
Old 04-04-05, 06:23 PM   #4
kern0079

Well, on my SK1 you check between the 3 thick yellow wires.

There is no early warning signs that your stator is going. There are 3 seperate systems in the stator and generally one will go out. This leaves the charging potential of the system at only 2/3 of its maximum capacity. You will find that your battery will never charge completely and you may have difficulties starting the motorcycle due to the uncharged battery. Another sign is that at high electrical loads (brakes on and blinkers on) the headlights and panel indicators will dim significantly especially at lower rpms.

There usually isn't any danger of running with a bad stator, it is just annoying to have to jump/push start your bike on a regular basis. The repair manual listed on this site has a chart in the electrical section on how to diagnose your electrical system. I would suggest reading that because there are other systems which can fail which would produce nearly the same symptoms that I have described above.

Good Luck with the electrical demons
Old 05-04-05, 02:20 AM   #5
SlightlyModdedSV

Ok I checked the stator and it is fine thanks to your knowledge. I have come to the conclusion that the dash cluster is bad. I took it all apart and plugged it in, I then tapped on the cluster right above the tach and my guages shut off, I then tapped in the same spot again and it turned back on, Have you heard of any problems like this accuring on the SV's? Do you know of any one that has the cluster for sale. I checked all the plugs and they were clean, tight and no loose wires. I apprecciate your knowledge it has been very helpful.
Thanks,
Damian
Old 05-04-05, 03:32 PM   #6
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyModdedSV
Ok I checked the stator and it is fine thanks to your knowledge. I have come to the conclusion that the dash cluster is bad. I took it all apart and plugged it in, I then tapped on the cluster right above the tach and my guages shut off, I then tapped in the same spot again and it turned back on, Have you heard of any problems like this accuring on the SV's? Do you know of any one that has the cluster for sale. I checked all the plugs and they were clean, tight and no loose wires. I apprecciate your knowledge it has been very helpful.
Thanks,
Damian
I'm not sure woy you thought there might be somehting wrong with your stator... they are not prone to failure like the regulator/rectifier (RR)

if you are having charging problems, it will affect your gauge cluster, also loose conections.
Old 05-04-05, 10:39 PM   #7
kern0079

SlightlyModded, I live in Minneapolis too. If you need some help I am happy to lend a hand any time.
Old 06-04-05, 08:56 PM   #8
norvidick

Default dash cluster

there wae a complete cluster on ebay a couple of days ago gould be worth a look just put in sv650 in the parts and acceseries and it should come up if it is still on