SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2008 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2008 SV650.org's annual rideout.

Old 15-04-08, 01:16 PM   #1
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Pennine Massive Ride In

I know it may be a tad early to organise this, but I'm bored at work - so thought I'd get the ball rolling.

I'm assuming (I know - mother of all fluff ups and all that) that most of us will be making our way down Friday through the day.

I'm also assuming (there I go again) that the best route down will be plodding along the motorways due to time and make it easier to meet others at services. Mr Google says its approx 4:30 hours (240 miles) from Wakefield, but thats non-stop. So i guess we could say 6 hoursish for stops, meetups etc along the way.

Would 10am be a reasonable time to meet at Wakefield (Wooly Edge Services)?

Rough route being M1 > M42 (yaaaawn) > M5

We could meet the Manchester lot at the services on the M5, just before the M50 junction I guess - unless there's somewhere betterererer to meet? (Possibly on the M42 if they want to cut accross a little?)

Thoughts anyone?

And I guess I'll start a list of those who are gonna be making up the Massive that is the Pennine.

PMAPP
DAZR6

*EDIT*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'm officially slacking off work now. Hopefully, this link will work and give you a nice gogle foo map of my suggested route with stops for meetups, fuel, toilet, food and whetever else you can get upto at a motorway services.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...99&ie=UTF8&z=7

I've started it at Wooly Edge Services, just after M1 J39. Next suggested stop is Tamworth Services on M42, follwed by Strensham Services on M5 (just before M50) then another stop on the M5 at Sedgemoor Services - possibly meet those from Wales - and of course for a final fuel and pee before the campsite.

What do the Massiiiiive (and anyone else) think?

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.

Last edited by pmapp; 15-04-08 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Cause I'm slacking off at work :-)
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 01:27 PM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pennine Massive Ride In

Actually, thinking about it, it's worth putting where you are so you can all arrange to meet up in little groups, then the groups arrange to meet up. Sooooo.........

PMAPP - Wakefield
DAZR6 - Wakefield

Old 15-04-08, 02:30 PM   #3
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Alright. No idea how I ended up on here but this could help you if you fancy something other than motorways

Get hold of El Saxo, he has a route to come down to Bristol way that doesn't take too much longer than the motorway (I don't know how it works but it seems to)

He's in Wigan and used to go down to Swansea for Uni so has a route, he's used it to come see me in Bristol. Maybe he can help

Taraaaaa you northern monkeys....

; )

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 03:38 PM   #4
Dan

You're clearly forgetting that for some of us in the proper north, Wakefield's already nearly two hours down the road

Although I'll probably be in the south anyway around that time, so it won't matter.
Old 15-04-08, 03:55 PM   #5
pmapp
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You're clearly forgetting that for some of us in the proper north, Wakefield's already nearly two hours down the road

Although I'll probably be in the south anyway around that time, so it won't matter.

Not forgetting, this is all just a suggestion really.

Is 10am to early then? I simply chose that as we would hopefully be off the motorways by rush hour. I'm easy either way (don't tell Bear though), can make it later if folks wanna travel down.

Remember, the earlier we get the the site, the more beer time there is

Old 15-04-08, 05:54 PM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmapp View Post
Not forgetting, this is all just a suggestion really.

Is 10am to early then? I simply chose that as we would hopefully be off the motorways by rush hour. I'm easy either way (don't tell Bear though), can make it later if folks wanna travel down.

Remember, the earlier we get the the site, the more beer time there is
Well like I say, I won't be joining you, and I'll likely be on the site veeery early on in proceedings just like last year. That way I'll be able to stand proudly next to my erect tent and point and laugh as the new arrivals struggle with theirs... I may even bring some sidestand pucks as well a la S.tewie
Old 15-04-08, 05:54 PM   #7
YoungMan

I'm in York - was in Norwich. Good idea to hook up as we thread our way through the motorway services.
Old 15-04-08, 06:26 PM   #8
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ View Post
Alright. No idea how I ended up on here but this could help you if you fancy something other than motorways

Get hold of El Saxo, he has a route to come down to Bristol way that doesn't take too much longer than the motorway (I don't know how it works but it seems to)

He's in Wigan and used to go down to Swansea for Uni so has a route, he's used it to come see me in Bristol. Maybe he can help

Taraaaaa you northern monkeys....

; )
Thanks for the vote of confidence Stretchie but I'm not sure I'll be that much help TBH - when I came to meet you in Weston I just kind of looked at the map for some roads that looked interesting and took a scenic route down through part of Wales cos I had all day to get there. I'm looking at a map now and can't really remember which way I went sorry. I know I didn't come across the Severn Bridge though, although that probably doesn't help much (I bloody hate that bridge! ).
Old 15-04-08, 08:05 PM   #9
MR UKI (1)

Would be good to ride in with a few others, I'm going on the Friday also. But I may avoid the motorways and ride down the A49 and other twisty roads to Chepstow and across the Severn Bridge.
Old 15-04-08, 08:09 PM   #10
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

All, if you fancy a change once you get to Worcestershire-ish, then the A38 pretty much follows the mway to Bristol, but is sooooooo much more fun.

I am going down to a mates on the Wednesday, but thats the way I'm going. Then back on the mway until Bridgwater at which point cut accross to Yeovil etc. Means only doing 45-50 miles miles on the mway for a large section. Hope it helps.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote