SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-10, 06:44 PM   #1
andreis

Default Ducati MTS1200 - First reviews

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/du...-multistrada-s

I've just seen one of the first reviews come out on the mts12... Now I know this is a controversy bike for some here, as it looks like a tiger ripoff to some, and with some good reasons to be called that, as in it's tall, goes street and very limited off road and looks-wise, maybe borrows a bit

But, from what the guy says, it's good. It's really good. And I've read some of his reviews.. He does usually point out the right things...

Sooo, what do you think?

I personally think it would be a smashing bike, want one really bad (perhaps more than a sprint.. it's a lot lighter) and am thinking about selling a kidney and whatever else I can dispense of to get one (but I won't and will be forever sad 'till I get the money for one... )
Old 02-03-10, 08:03 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ducati MTS1200 - First reviews

I think Ducati have really tried with this bike unlike Honda with the new viffer and Yamaha with their new Varadildo.

Way, way to much money for me but I particularly like their confidence in the reliability/and reducing the servicing costs and also their statement that it has not been built (just) for wee Ayetalians.

2 reasons that have kept me off dukes in the past.

Hope they sell as many as they can make , so I can get a nice used in a year or so.... and prevent the guilty lusting over 1200GS'
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:29 AM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Im looking forward to their next generation of sorts bike. Electronically adjustable suspension??? Yes please!!!
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:39 AM   #4
wyrdness

They're reckoned to be awesome bikes but, at 11 grand for the basic model, I won't be buying one.
Old 02-03-10, 10:53 AM   #5
Alpinestarhero

I'm quite interested in this motorcycle. Does it still run belts for the valve train operation? Thats the only thing I dont really like about ducatis. I love how the bike looks, i like the idea of electronicly controlled suspension...and how you can tweak it for your own tastes. The power maps seem like they have really good choices in them i'd be interested in having a test ride and comparing then with a trumpet tiger
Old 02-03-10, 11:32 AM   #6
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
I'm quite interested in this motorcycle. Does it still run belts for the valve train operation? Thats the only thing I dont really like about ducatis. I love how the bike looks, i like the idea of electronicly controlled suspension...and how you can tweak it for your own tastes. The power maps seem like they have really good choices in them i'd be interested in having a test ride and comparing then with a trumpet tiger
I'm pretty certain that Ducati's valve trains don't use belts. They're cam driven and very reliable. They're certainly not a reason to dislike Ducatis (though there are plenty of others)

I thought that you were a skint student. The version with the electronic suspenders is around £14k, iirc.

Last edited by wyrdness; 02-03-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 11:49 AM   #7
petevtwin650

Sorry Matt, engine is based on the 1198, so it's belt drive for the cams. Wet clutch though.
Old 02-03-10, 01:09 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

it looks like a nice bike but there is still a fair ? over reliability. After reading about the 1098 (after thinking about it as a potential next bike) it looks like reliability isnt so great unfortunatly. So we will see, id love for nothing better than to be proven wrong though!
Old 02-03-10, 03:33 PM   #9
andreis

Yep, sound about right... No money, so waiting for them to hit the used market at a humanly affordable price. And by that time there will be more to be known about reliability.

TheGreek : you say about 1098, but mts is based on the 1198 (not that there's much difference, but I did hear that the 1198 was reliable)
Old 02-03-10, 03:34 PM   #10

yes but they are at **** take prices

ducati manchester when I called "the S model sir yes thats 14500 plus panniers"

ill buy a tiger thanks