SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-10-13, 08:20 PM   #41
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: SFV 650 out this year!

But 125's have been outselling everything since about 2009!

One thing you've forgotten to mention is, there are very few of the "change every 2 years clients left" which drove the supersports sector from the late 80's, and those people are now too old or can't fit on Supersports so go buy a tourer.

If your saying suzuki's products are technically inferior and old-fashioned, whats part of the Honda range then?
The CBR600RR is nearly a 10 year old design
The Fireblade has hardly changed since 2008 (McGuinness was running a 2007/8 spec bike at the TT and set a lap record)
The transalp/ deauville are as old as Mt Fuji
The VFR800 has been on the go for as long as the SV has

Could have done this with Yamaha, but that would be too cruel. Kawasaki's range is the most upto date, but thats because they were behind everyone 10 years ago

Another point and I'm stopping is...

Where did motorcycle Traction control get developed and honed into a cheap enough item for the £8k RRP bike? GP
ABS? BMW and Yamaha on the road and GP. The best motorbike ABS is developed from a Car system

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13, 08:29 PM   #42
Mikey360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGotPie View Post
just gonna leave this here:

http://rideapart.com/2013/10/suzuki-...arging-masses/

i know its concept but it still made me moist
Holy moley! that is hotter than a hot fudge sunday on a hot day in Barbados!
I pray if this is anything along the lines of an SV concept that it looks like this on the showroom floor!
Old 31-10-13, 11:02 AM   #43
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
But 125's have been outselling everything since about 2009!

One thing you've forgotten to mention is, there are very few of the "change every 2 years clients left" which drove the supersports sector from the late 80's, and those people are now too old or can't fit on Supersports so go buy a tourer.

Another point and I'm stopping is..

Where did motorcycle Traction control get developed and honed into a cheap enough item for the £8k RRP bike? GP
ABS? BMW and Yamaha on the road and GP. The best motorbike ABS is developed from a Car system
Ok less ageisum us+50,s can still fit oo GSXR,s
ABS for c
Old 31-10-13, 11:07 AM   #44
NTECUK
Mega Poster

ABS for cars came from aircraft derived systems.
These were developed by verious forms of motorsport.
Old 31-10-13, 01:03 PM   #45
Ninthbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
But 125's have been outselling everything since about 2009! Not this year!

One thing you've forgotten to mention is, there are very few of the "change every 2 years clients left" which drove the supersports sector from the late 80's, and those people are now too old or can't fit on Supersports so go buy a tourer. Optimum change period is 27-28 months and has been for as long as I can remember.

If your saying suzuki's products are technically inferior and old-fashioned, whats part of the Honda range then?
The CBR600RR is nearly a 10 year old design - now discontinued, current stock only.
The Fireblade has hardly changed since 2008 (McGuinness was running a 2007/8 spec bike at the TT and set a lap record) True
The transalp/ deauville are as old as Mt Fuji Also true
The VFR800 has been on the go for as long as the SV has. Also true but is seen as a brilliant all-rounder for a long time. Honda have also added several "budget" models to their range which have all sold in huge numbers - because customers now want "real" road bikes that aren't going to scare the sh!t out of them but that can still be great fun without living at double the national speed limit.

Could have done this with Yamaha, but that would be too cruel. Yamaha have introduced two brand new models this year and have now embarked upon a program to release three new models every year.
Kawasaki's range is the most upto date, but thats because they were behind everyone 10 years ago - also true.

Another point and I'm stopping is...

ABS is going to be a legal requirement on bikes from next year which is why all manufacturers have been developing it for bikes. Traction control was originally developed by Aprilia and Ducati for their track bikes - unfortunately this did not generate additional retail sales (Aprilia are in big financial trouble at the moment).
The biggest influence over the Suzuki range has been EC regulations which have rendered model after model illegal to sell in the EC as they cannot meet emissions regulations. This IMO indicates a failure to predict the market and react in anticipation (i.e. by developing cleaner, more efficient machines) rather than retrospectively (by getting dealers to pre-register existing stocks and therefore devalue the product).

Last edited by Ninthbike; 31-10-13 at 01:12 PM.
Old 31-10-13, 05:58 PM   #46
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninthbike View Post
ABS is going to be a legal requirement on bikes from next year which is why all manufacturers have been developing it for bikes. Traction control was originally developed by Aprilia and Ducati for their track bikes - unfortunately this did not generate additional retail sales (Aprilia are in big financial trouble at the moment).
The biggest influence over the Suzuki range has been EC regulations which have rendered model after model illegal to sell in the EC as they cannot meet emissions regulations. This IMO indicates a failure to predict the market and react in anticipation (i.e. by developing cleaner, more efficient machines) rather than retrospectively (by getting dealers to pre-register existing stocks and therefore devalue the product).
on Sub 47 brake (A2 class) bikes IIRC

The suzuki situations sounds like a case of develop for your biggest markets, which is Asia and the US who think global warming is a myth.

The 2 new yamahas are the first 'new' bike since 2008. I'm excluding the FZ8's as they were parts bin specials (engine was a stroked 1000cc motor)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote