SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested
Maybe 7 41.18%
Maybe, but somewhere not so far/long 3 17.65%
Definately, but not on that date 1 5.88%
Definately, Lets do it! 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-11-05, 11:30 PM   #1
Jelster

Default An SV650.org Trip to France ??

OK, 2006 will soon be upon us and I have been asked if I'll be organising anything for next year. The one thing I have been thinking about is that SV650.org is a community, and as such, we haven't really done much in the way of overseas trips. So, I've attempted to put something together which will cater for most of the users here.

A trip to the Alsace which offers 2 days riding in the area, plus 2 days there and 2 days back. Based on not much more than 250 miles per day, with plenety of decent French "N" & "D" class roads, plus the tight twisties in the Alsace (not to mention the scenery) it would make an excellent trip for the community that is SV650.org.

I've based the trip to take place onver the Spring Bank Holiday at the end of May this year, departing Dover on themorning of the Thursday, returning on the following Tuesday afternoon. For those that do need any additional time off, it means just 3 days leave from work.

The trip is designed to cater for less experienced riders and pillions as well as those with a few years under their belts, so the pace will be moderate rather than brisk. but there is nothing stopping you having a bit of fun during the day.

The basic plan is detailed below, I need to get an idea of numbers and need to seriously start booking things by Mid Jan at the latest, so your comments please.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1

Meet Dover Ferry Port

Outbound
depart Dover Thursday 25 May 2006 10:05
arrive Calais Thursday 25 May 2006 12:20

Return
depart Calais Tuesday 30 May 2006 14:00
arrive Dover Tuesday 30 May 2006 14:15

Mix of A roads and motorways make our way to Reims (or there abouts). Approx 175 miles

Day 2

Depart Reims 10:00
Mostly A & B roads via Saint-Dizier, Vittel, Épinal, onto Gérardmer, up and over the D417 to Munster and on to Colmar.

Stay in Colmar

Days 3 & 4
2 Days of riding in and around the Alsace with a trip into Germany & Switzerland.

Day 5
Depart 10:00
D417 to St Die, then via Bru, Lunneville to Remilly for lunch. Back on the D999 around Metz and on to Briey, then on to Neufchâteau in Belgium Via Longwy for an overnight stay.

Day 6
An early 9am start as we make our way back along the 225 mile trip into Northern France and back to Calais

Allow:
£50 for the Ferry
£35 per night for food and hotel (£175)
£250 for fuel

Total (approx) £475 (I may be over estimating here, but better to be on the safe side)

Old 23-11-05, 08:07 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Steve,

When do you need to know by?

I did this in 2004. Based ourselves round Alonson near Le Mans. It was a superb 4 days.

Are you planning to book hotels, B&B's, doss houses etc in advance?

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-05, 08:17 AM   #3
Jelster

I haven't really decided on all of that yet. If we get 10 responses then booking hotels is not to bad, if we get 40, then it needs a bit more thought...

Old 23-11-05, 09:17 AM   #4
hall13uk

sounds great, but i would not know for deffo until march weather i could get the time off work.
Old 23-11-05, 11:44 AM   #5
jonboy

What I really fancy is a long day trip across the channel. Get the early Newhaven/Dieppe ferry and then spend a day having fun blatting around Normandy and then catching the late ferry home.

Anyone else up for that?

Old 23-11-05, 12:23 PM   #6
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
What I really fancy is a long day trip across the channel. Get the early Newhaven/Dieppe ferry and then spend a day having fun blatting around Normandy and then catching the late ferry home.

Anyone else up for that?

Unless it's got a bit quicker, it takes 4 hours each way with an hour needed to check in
There are better ferry routes for a day trip

Some nice roadsigns in Normandy

Now a long weekend, via le Havre, and a tour round the D-Day beaches is a very good trip
Old 23-11-05, 12:32 PM   #7
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Unless it's got a bit quicker, it takes 4 hours each way with an hour needed to check in
There are better ferry routes for a day trip
Yes well... I enjoy travelling, right?

Quote:
Some nice roadsigns in Normandy
I was planning to try and miss those, I've heard they're not too biker-friendly .

Quote:
Now a long weekend, via le Havre, and a tour round the D-Day beaches is a very good trip
Okay I might be able to sort out a weekend, but wouldn't midweek be a better deal with cheaper fares and less traffic?

Old 23-11-05, 12:48 PM   #8
Mr Toad

Quote:
Okay I might be able to sort out a weekend, but wouldn't midweek be a better deal with cheaper fares and less traffic?

Go in the off season and prices are a lot cheaper whatever the day

Traffic - this is Normandy we're talking about, not Frith Street on a Friday evening . We went in March a few years back & had a great time - hardly any people about.

I'd be interested in either this or Steve's trip - subject to getting fit enough to get back on a bike - my eta is about next April at the mo
Old 23-11-05, 01:31 PM   #9
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
I'd be interested in either this or Steve's trip - subject to getting fit enough to get back on a bike - my eta is about next April at the mo
What you can't get your leg over till then? Man, that's tough .

Old 23-11-05, 05:49 PM   #10
hall13uk

Quote:

Anyone else up for that?

now that i would be well up for