SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-12-08, 12:07 PM   #1
rowdy

Default Insurance quotes

Read a thread on here a month or two back about tesco compare bike insurance so ran through a quote for my bike as I knew my insurance would be up for renewal in a couple of months. I was delighted to see that my quotes were coming in at less than a hundred quid fully comp. Bring on my insurance renewal notice I thought to myself. Well it's just popped through the post this morning and the renewal is 159 quid plus 30 legal expenses cover and 25 personal accident cover. Time to get back on the tesco website so after filling out the application again now the lowest quote comes in at 162 pounds. Looked at my license and noticed I'd put in the wrong year for obtaining my full license, thus doing myself out of one years no claims bonus so I corrected the mistake and reapplied and for some reason gaining an extra years no claims bonus and a little more riding experience has resulted in the quotes going UP!!!???? Looks like the credit crunch is pushing our premiums up
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-08, 03:55 PM   #2
Lou M

Default Re: Insurance quotes

Yes, I've just renewed the car and was astounded at the price, considering I've been driving for 20 years without an accident.
Got a quote for my daughters first 50cc, at age 16, I couldn't believe that her quote was only £390. Though I was told if she'd been a boy I could have doubled that!

Seems that having all these no claims makes no flipping difference.
Old 31-12-08, 04:16 PM   #3
ArtyLady

Well as I said in another thread, my usual underwriters of several years suddenly took exception to me being an artist and wouldn't even quote for me! So they had to find an underwriter was daring enough - apparently the reason goes something like this, because Im an artist I may be debauched, wild and hang around with celebrities ...I said err, no Im nearly 50, tee-total, suffer health problems, sit in my spare room and paint pets from photos oh and Ive never had any points on my licence and have full NCB.
Old 31-12-08, 04:42 PM   #4
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Well as I said in another thread, my usual underwriters of several years suddenly took exception to me being an artist and wouldn't even quote for me! So they had to find an underwriter was daring enough - apparently the reason goes something like this, because Im an artist I may be debauched, wild and hang around with celebrities ...I said err, no Im nearly 50, tee-total, suffer health problems, sit in my spare room and paint pets from photos oh and Ive never had any points on my licence and have full NCB.
Yeah I read that thread, bloody ridiculous.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-08, 07:13 PM   #5
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I have to tell a slight fib as I also may have the slight possibility that I may have to drive a Celebrity around. Which is ridiculous as these celebrities managers as a matter of protecting their interests wouldn't just let them bugger off in someones car anyway. Also if a celebrity needed to get somewhere and I was the one to take them I'd strongly recommend they get a new manager.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-08, 07:16 PM   #6
Ed

Saw this thread and went onto Confused.com, who refused to quote for this 48 year old solicitor living out the sticks. Guess that it's the 3 points 3 years ago that's the problem
Old 31-12-08, 07:48 PM   #7
chakraist

Saga prices have gone up by up to 30% this year in both home and motor insurance. It's not good, people moan at me daily about it. I say here what I say to them- more people are claiming than last year, hence it's more expensive. Insurance is basically a big old money pot that everyone pays into and gets paid out from.

If your NCD is above 4-5 years then another year tends not to make a difference. People complain about this but then I make the point that if they were to have an extra 10% NCD every year we would be giving away free insurance. Another thing to note about no claims discount is that the highest figure will indicate the highest increase in premium if you're to have a claim, and the highest basic premium.

Anyways, insurance.
Old 31-12-08, 08:26 PM   #8
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraist View Post
Saga prices have gone up by up to 30% this year in both home and motor insurance. It's not good, people moan at me daily about it. I say here what I say to them- more people are claiming than last year, hence it's more expensive. Insurance is basically a big old money pot that everyone pays into and gets paid out from.

If your NCD is above 4-5 years then another year tends not to make a difference. People complain about this but then I make the point that if they were to have an extra 10% NCD every year we would be giving away free insurance. Another thing to note about no claims discount is that the highest figure will indicate the highest increase in premium if you're to have a claim, and the highest basic premium.

Anyways, insurance.
I dont really have a problem with the cost - its the ostensible insult to my character with regard to my occupation that I object to!
Old 31-12-08, 10:29 PM   #9
busasean

well, my insurance just came up for renewal and bearing in mind i got knocked of my ( modified) hayabusa i was expecting to get shafted - well the renewal came in at an outrageous £6 more than last yr!!
Old 01-01-09, 10:33 AM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Yep theres a good chance I will be getting robbed for insurance on the 600rr when its up for renewal in April .......Even though I will be 25 and have another years no claims behind me.

I paid £500 this year and qoutes are coming in at £600+ for fully comp, and that does not even include EU travel, has a low yearly mileage and a MASSIVE compulsory excess of £600 when at the moment I dont even have a compulsory excess.

I will be ringing around thats for sure, always cheaper on the phone than online I have found.

Last edited by G; 01-01-09 at 10:36 AM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote