SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-09, 10:23 PM   #1
GeneticBubble

Default Can they tell it's not restricted?

my bike is getting its restrictor fitted this friday (fingers crossed) at which point noone will have a problem with me riding it, at he moment though i want to ride it, been out once or twice with my dad on his bike, but mum says she doesn't want me riding it until its restricted

ok so technically its illigal, but what is the chance of you getting pulled? as long as im not doing stupid speeds and making lots of noise (<<can't help that one )

also would you/did you ride your bike before it got its restrictor fitted?
Old 23-03-09, 10:27 PM   #2
BanditPat

Default Re: can they tell its not restricted?

I did mine before i passed my test. And theres no way they can tell at the side of the road if your bike is restricted any ways and a certificate isnt a legal requirement. I take it your insured on it?
Old 23-03-09, 10:29 PM   #3
GeneticBubble

yep im insured/texed everything except restrictor. just trying to convince mum to let me take it into college tomorrow... because i've had about all i can take from buses
Old 23-03-09, 10:29 PM   #4
Magnum

Its not a case of them telling if its restricted, they wont be able to tell unless youre doing over 100mph.
BUT if you do have a crash, they can check if its restricted. Your insurance wont pay out, and you were not riding in accordance with your licence.
Its your call, but it is always a risk. If you take it out now, when you put the restrictor in it may feel dissapointing in comparison.

Edit - also think about the sheer power difference. You done your training and test on a 10bhp 125cc bike, and now you will be jumping onto something with seven times the power. People that do the DAS have the experience on a 46bhp+ before riding anything else. Its a big jump.

Last edited by Magnum; 23-03-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 23-03-09, 10:32 PM   #5
GeneticBubble

i've already got that fear i've done 80 on the motorway on it already out with my dad i just hope it copes just as well when restricted
Old 23-03-09, 10:34 PM   #6
BigFootIsBlurry

IMO you're being stupid if you ride without restricting it. You're risking your license and your money, not to mention you're fu(ked if you're insurance get hold of you. If you're planning on restricting it soon then I would wait, if your not going to bother restricting it at all then you deserve what you get becuase its acts like that which push up everyone elses premiums.

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-09, 10:36 PM   #7
BanditPat

I say if you want to ride it then do it, if your worried about getting caught don't. When i get my next bike i don't think it will be staying restricted for long any ways. The one i have now does over a ton and i've heard that the restricted SV's only do a ton so
Old 23-03-09, 10:41 PM   #8
Mighty Boosh

Ello GB,

One major problem would be if you were involved in an accident, be it your fault or not, the insurance companys will go to extreme lengths to not have to pay out a claim.

Since you have a resticted license i would imagine a major concern, for an insurer, when considering a claim would be that you were using your bike, legally, in accordance with your resticted license.

Wait for the bike to be resricted and then you are legit,and when you first go out n about you'll be smiling twice as much.

The time, effort and cost of obtaining your license should tell you to do it the legal way.
Old 23-03-09, 10:44 PM   #9
GeneticBubble

thanks for the advice guys but im going to totally ignore you....

only joking guess i will have to put up with the bus for another 4 days...
Old 23-03-09, 10:44 PM   #10
imaleon

You'll have loads of people coming on here soon and having a go at you for considering it...it's a very touchy subject

You will not be insured as you're not riding within the requirements of your license; however the police would be none the wiser and they will have no reason to pull you over unless you're being a plonker. So if you insist on taking it out, make sure everything (I mean everything) is ok with the bike and you have all of your papers present + don't show off and draw attention to yourself.

I personally know several bikers who either removed their restriction kit early or didn't bother at all, and they didn't have any trouble. Doesn't mean it won't happen though!! If you get caught it'll be 6 points (so a ban for you) and a hefty fine.

Why would it push up premiums since he wouldn't be insured?