SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-08, 05:13 PM   #1
sam anon

Default Motorcycle books!

I thought I'd start a new thread as I've not seen one on here about motorbike books, and how people rate them

I don't mean manuals and the like, but travel and autobiographies (or biographies for that matter).

I've just read Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. I thought it was pretty good, (6.5/10), but got a little rushed towards the end I felt.

I've just started Dan Walsh's These are the days that must happen to you, which so far is brilliant, but the writing style is a little hard to get your head around at times, so it's not a book to read when the tv's on, or a mate is trying to talk to you. So far, 8/10!
Old 20-08-08, 05:25 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Motorcycle books!

The MCN Circuit Guide, great for winter dreaming.

Thinking of buying "twist of the wrist" too, but haven't got round to it, a guide to riding on track I believe.

Race to Daker by Boorman is quite good too, as is the book of the Long Way Round. I started reading the long way down but ewan and charlie moaned too much, I only got about half way through (similarly with the TV series) which was a pity as I love African travel books.

If you want another good travel book there's one about some army types going round Africa in Bedfords and Landrovers and climbing alll the peaks above 10, 000 ft, a great book, but I can't remember the name (The roof of Africa?)
Old 20-08-08, 05:54 PM   #3
GregK2

I've read the Joey Dunlop biography "Just Joey" which is very good, as is the Steve Hislop biography "Hizzy".

For motorcycle travel, try "Good Vibrations" by Tom Cunliffe (across America by Harley Davidson) or "The Road to Gobblers Knob" by Geoff Hill (from Chile to Alaska on a Triumph Tiger).
Old 20-08-08, 06:38 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

What do you like reading about?

Personally I like reading racers auto/biography's so I tend to buy them when they come out ... (got every one that I know has ever been produced (in the last ~10 years)).

I don't know how technically minded or technically curious you are, but I have also read a few 'how it works' type bike books ... I've read the full John Robinson line ... i.e.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcyle-Tu...9257281&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-T...9257281&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-T...9257281&sr=1-3

Great books, bot not exactly light/bedtime reading as you have to think a bit so again depends on what you want from a book!! ... if it is entertainment or learnin'
Old 20-08-08, 08:18 PM   #5
svpilot

I really enjoyed "The long way round" on TV but never to round to finishing the book. A (non biking) mate recommended "Lois on the Loose". I was very sceptical... but I thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend it
Old 21-08-08, 11:58 AM   #6
sam anon

I wasn't strictly looking for recomendations etc, just provoking discussion!

I've also read "Good Vibrations" and thought it was superb!

I put off watching Long Way Round on 'telly as I was reading the book, pretty good I thought!

I've read an extract of Twist of the Wrist, and it's very heavy going!
Old 21-08-08, 12:02 PM   #7
Woz

Wink Re: Motorcycle books!

Not exactly a bike book but very closely related is Sonny Barger's (Hells Angels founder) autobiography.

Much like most other 'gangster' books, it's a bit crap.

I've also got a signed copy of Foggys book that I've never got round to reading.
Old 21-08-08, 12:05 PM   #8
Dave The Rave

Whits autobiography is out soon too I think.
Old 21-08-08, 12:43 PM   #9
zunkus

I've read, 'Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance' loads of times. It's a real good read and explains a lot how the mind works. Made me realise why I like riding so much. It's a classic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0553...pt#reader-link

There's also a book from Rush's drummer Neil Peart who's also a passionate rider.
It's called, 'Ghost Rider' which is a sort of auto biography of the ride he did across Canada and America after his wife and daughter died.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1550...19#reader-link