SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-20, 03:14 PM   #21
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Misfire at idle only!

Mine did this, although worse because the front carb was gummed up after not using the bike for a long time. Hopefully the Redex will cure it, it didn't help with mine, so I had the carbs stripped and ultrasonically cleaned.

After that it was fine
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-20, 04:24 PM   #22
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Mine did this, although worse because the front carb was gummed up after not using the bike for a long time. Hopefully the Redex will cure it, it didn't help with mine, so I had the carbs stripped and ultrasonically cleaned.

After that it was fine
Really hoping the redex does the trick tbh, I don't fancy doing a carb strip, such a time consuming job.
I'm guessing the 'gummed up' theory has become reality as I don't get to use my bike anywhere near as often as I should, maybe 2-3 times per month so probably not helping matters.
Next dry day i get i plan to give it a good outing and see what's what. If it hasn't cleared itself after a couple of tank fills I'll have to strip the carbs.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 07:31 PM   #23
gadget

Took the sv650s out today after a couple of days of fettling and generally sorting out the carb chokes n cables. Filled the tank with some nice fresh fuel and a good dose of Redex, 1st start was a bit dodgy with the familiar irregular misfire at idle, managed to get it nice n warm then once out of town raised the revs and got into a steady cruise for about 25 miles and then found a few twisties on way home, by the time it got home it was running as sweet as a nut.
So... it looks like it just needed a good blowout.
I suppose the problem I've been having is what happens when it's not being used for extended periods. Happy days.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 07:42 PM   #24
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Took the sv650s out today after a couple of days of fettling and generally sorting out the carb chokes n cables. Filled the tank with some nice fresh fuel and a good dose of Redex, 1st start was a bit dodgy with the familiar irregular misfire at idle, managed to get it nice n warm then once out of town raised the revs and got into a steady cruise for about 25 miles and then found a few twisties on way home, by the time it got home it was running as sweet as a nut.
So... it looks like it just needed a good blowout.
I suppose the problem I've been having is what happens when it's not being used for extended periods. Happy days.
Redex is wonderful stuff, and has worked miracles for me... you need to get it into system and allow it to work - I regularly add a glug every so often even when engine is running sweet - just to keep it that way. I always add to fuel before storing as well, to mowers, chainsaw, strimmer, bikes - in fact anything that uses petrol...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 10:41 AM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Redex is wonderful stuff, and has worked miracles for me... you need to get it into system and allow it to work - I regularly add a glug every so often even when engine is running sweet - just to keep it that way. I always add to fuel before storing as well, to mowers, chainsaw, strimmer, bikes - in fact anything that uses petrol...
Same here. I've used it for decades and it has extended the service points on the Carbed bikes and cars I've used it on and keeps the fuel lines/system from getting gummed up especially with the Ethanol blended fuel we have now.
Also I've never had a problem starting my bikes because of stale fuel when they have been laid off when I used to contract away.
When I have stripped engines that have been running on it there is noticeably less carbon build-up on the Valves and Piston crowns as well.

It's a,"No Brainer" for me because it has never done any harm only good

Most of the fuel cleaners do the same so Redex is just as good as any of them IMHO. I used some Carlube fuel cleaner when ASDA had a cheap deal on it and I'm sure it actually gave the engine a bit more,"Pep" but that may have been confirmation bias but I am quite tuned to my engine/s