SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-05-07, 08:16 AM   #1
Daimo

Default Bus lane excuses....

Anyone got any?

Seems they've just plonked a new camera along one of the routes I use, wouldn't mind but its a rediculas junction (Rotherhithe tunnel roundabout entrance) and you simply have to enter the bus lane for anout 5-10 meters, or sit there and wait for 10 minutes (Hmm why am i on a bike again???)

I want to argue it, even though they've got a photo etc.

I've written back about parking tickets and they've seen sense and let it waiver, but has anyone got any good lines for bus lane cameras?

Ta
Old 03-05-07, 08:20 AM   #2
muffles

Default Re: Bus lane excuses....

Hmm I will have to watch out for this, I ride through the tunnel. Which side of the roundabout is this? I come past Bermondsey station where it's all bus lane on the left, I've not seen this camera
Old 03-05-07, 08:43 AM   #3
Daimo

As your going towards the roundabout outside rotherhithe tunnel (south) from London Bridge, just before the bus stop theres a new (painted black!!!) bus lane camera. Hidden behined a sign.

Problem is, my offence date is the 18/4, and I didn't notice the camera till last week, so should I be expecting a load more through the post?

Anyone got any advice/excusses.. Just paid insurance and got my service due this month, as always, THE worst time to get it
Old 03-05-07, 09:38 AM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Sorry dude.
Can't help,,but I feel for you.
It's a real shame that all cameras don't have to be Highly Visible - That is just money raising, hiding it behind a sign. If they wanted you to stay outy of the bus lane then they would make the camera visible.

Just pay up today before the fine doubles.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 09:45 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Sorry dude.
Can't help,,but I feel for you.
It's a real shame that all cameras don't have to be Highly Visible - That is just money raising, hiding it behind a sign. If they wanted you to stay outy of the bus lane then they would make the camera visible.

Just pay up today before the fine doubles.
Actually what they would do is paint the road red, put a wide SOLID line bordering it and post signs at the side of the road telling you what restrictions are in place.

See if they did all that, we would know to stay out of them

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 09:49 AM   #6
Daimo

Hmmmm, living in London, thought you may understand it a little better soulkiss.... Travel in rush hour much?

Im not saying it was right/wrong, attention whoare post.. Im mearly asking for any people that have written, what did you say, and has anyone got away with it?
Old 03-05-07, 10:00 AM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Travel in rush hour constantly and have even been hit by a Bus Lane fine up near Farringdon, in a very similar situation to yourself.

So yes I AM sympathetic to your case.

By quoting Stu's post I was referring to him - I forgot to add my <sarcasm></sarchasm> tags :P

I think bus lanes are a waste of road.

Last night coming down Kennington Road (A23) the busses couldnt use the bus lane due to cyclists in it, so what harm would another form of 2 wheeler do, that usually moves faster than even the busses.

Having spoken to Spiderman about this (the Soho Massive expert at getting out of stuff) there is little or nothing you can do about Bus Lane fines but pay them.
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 10:12 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I don't know any get outs for this either.Some may be surprised to know that the registered keeper of the vehicle is responsible for paying a bus lane fine even if they were not driving.It is in the small print on the notice you recieve,so you can't claim it was your long lost great grand mother who has since emigrated to Equatorial Guinea.
Old 03-05-07, 10:19 AM   #9
muffles

Is this the bus stop you mean?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=19&om=1

that looks like a bus stop, the one which is a layby. I may well have gone through that too my only hope is that usually at that point I am switching to the other side of the stream of cars, trying to go down the side near the central reservation, cos then I'm a bit cheeky and go in the right hand lane to go round the roundabout and then sneak in to the tunnel...
Old 03-05-07, 10:23 AM   #10
Swiss

You were forced into the bus lane to avoid a collision due to the car in front. . . . . . . . . . . . . .add what you want . . . . . . .

Even if they don't relent you will have delayed the fine and providing you get your appeal in within the given time frame the 50% reduction will still stand if the decision is not overturned.
Even if it ends up being a delay tactic at very least the money has stayed in your pocket a little longer.