SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-03-06, 03:08 PM   #1
wtdafk

Default can i fit a laptop hard drive in my new desktop?

well thats the question guys, ive got a sony vaio bout 3 years old whats broken but theres lots of stuff on the hard drive i would like to save like music pics, ect
im just wondering if i can fit it straight in to my new computer when i get it or is there a differnce between laptop n desktop hard drives ?
cheers!
Old 22-03-06, 03:11 PM   #2
Grinch

You need a convertor... but yes you can.. let me just have a look.

Found..

2.5 to 3.5 HDD Adaptor Kit
Old 22-03-06, 03:13 PM   #3
PsychoCannon

They are "Usually" just mini IDE drives but sometimes they have special adapters bolted onto them (can usually be removed to turn it into a normal mini-IDE but then if the new machine also requires an adapter your screwed).
Only once have I seen what appears to be a disk actually built in with a custom connection thus unusable in another machine.

To move it into a desktop is easy as long as you can strip it down to a standard mini-IDE configuration as there are adapters for it, I have one on my desk right now in fact
(It uses one power socket and one IDE connection from the desktop to power the mini IDE through a single connection)
Old 22-03-06, 03:14 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Laptop disk drives take their power through ide cable via the motherboard. A desktop hard drive uses a seperate power cable.

So its probably not going to work in your desktop PC unless your motherboard will support power through its IDE or interface. Your still IMHO going to struggle to mount the laptop HDD into your desktop as the bays in the desktop case probably wont take a laptop HDD as normally they are physically tiny when compared to a desktop HDD.

You may be able to get an adpator or a caddy that you can plug the laptop HDD into that will allow you to plug it into your desktop PC to recover the data.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-06, 03:14 PM   #5
Filipe M.

Default Re: can i fit a laptop hard drive in my new desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdafk
well thats the question guys, ive got a sony vaio bout 3 years old whats broken but theres lots of stuff on the hard drive i would like to save like music pics, ect
im just wondering if i can fit it straight in to my new computer when i get it or is there a differnce between laptop n desktop hard drives ?
cheers!
Grab yourself a USB external case for laptop (2.5") drives. Get the hard drive out of the laptop, put it inside the case, plug it in via usb and you're good to go. Plus, you'll now have an external drive to drag things around.
Old 22-03-06, 03:15 PM   #6
GSXR Carlos

get on ebay, there's loads
Old 22-03-06, 03:17 PM   #7
Grinch

Also if your using both the PC's original drive and the laptop drive you will need to set the old laptops drive jumper to 'slave'.

Another thing... most laptop drives run at 4,200rpm... and modern PC drives run from 5,600 to 10,000 rpm so don't be surprised if you notice a slow down when you access it.

Any more question then give me a PM, i'll do my best to help... a usb extenal drive is a good idea to.
Old 22-03-06, 03:18 PM   #8
wtdafk

cheers that looks like it shud do the job, jus one thing tho, if i do this do u think this will affect the dell waranty, i really dnt wana mess up the new shiny computer as soon as i get it
Old 22-03-06, 03:19 PM   #9
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdafk
cheers that looks like it shud do the job, jus one thing tho, if i do this do u think this will affect the dell waranty, i really dnt wana mess up the new shiny computer as soon as i get it
it might do... phone dell and ask though most places are rather helpfull, if it does just get the extenal USB adapter kit for it.
Old 22-03-06, 03:27 PM   #10
wtdafk

cheers u helped lots, av a nice day all of ya