SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-10-11, 12:54 AM   #1
borka

Default How-to: Install HID projector into gen1 gen2 SV650 with Angel eye halo

This How-to will explain the steps of installing an Hid projector and angel eye halo into the naked SV650.

I took this guide from this thread on svrider.com and i thought you might like this cool mod.

Credit for this write up goes to UniqueMotoLights.com

General installation instructions:

1. Remove headlight from bike
2. remove bucket from headlight, remove bezel from headlight
3. bake headlight in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 200 degrees,(put a towel under headlight so it doesnt melt to the pan!); once the glue softens up, use flat head screw drivers to remove lens from headlight; you might need to repeat this a few times untill the lens is off. ( be gentle and work your way around the headlight, open it up little by little all around ).

4. Insert H4 adapter plate from the back
5. Drill 3 holes through the holes of the adapter plate using a 5/64" drill bit and secure the plate with 3, 4x1/2 sheet metal screws (screws included with kit!)
6. Drill a hole for the halo and hi/low beam controller wires from the back using 1/4" drill bit

7. cut controller and halo wires, fish them though hole, then put wires back together.
8. remove hid bulb from projector and remove the nut.
9. Insert projector into the adapter plate, and slightly tighten the nut, reinsert HID bulb and tighten the tiny holding screw.

10. Now you need to level the projector; install the open headlight on the bike, connect the harness to battery positive, and any bolt on the frame for ground,
11. Plug the ballast into hib bulb and harness, plug in the H4 plug into the bike; level the bike and turn on the headlight. you need to shine the light on a flat wall.
12. Turn the projector untill the light cutoff is completely horizontal.
13. once projector is leveled, tighten rear nut. (USE LOCKTITE!!!)
14. remove headlight from bike
15. clean headlight and lens from fingerprints and dust
16. put back in oven at 200 degrees for 5 minutes
17. put the lens back on, and continue assembling headlight

18. put headlight back onto the bike and continue onto the wiring.

19. locate a good spot for the ballast and wiring. I recommend to lift the gas tank, and stuff everything in front of the airbox next to the intake snorkel, then use the frame openings in the front to run all wires to the headlight.
20. wire it up nice and neat and enjoy you new headlight!

Old 24-10-11, 02:03 AM   #2
beabert

Default Re: How-to: Install HID projector into gen1 gen2 SV650 with Angel eye halo

Nice cut off too.

Old 24-10-11, 02:13 AM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: How-to: Install HID projector into gen1 gen2 SV650 with Angel eye halo

Exact same equipment I got with my HID's. I wouldn't recommend them
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-11, 02:23 AM   #4
borka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Exact same equipment I got with my HID's. I wouldn't recommend them
you have the same projector in your naked stock round headlight as well?
whats wrong with your setup?

Edit:

These are NOT the same hid's you had on your bike.

how is this: (your bike hid's G5 model from china) is "exact same equipment" as the mini hid projector in the above install?
those projectors wouldnt even fit in the stock SV headlight housing.

Last edited by borka; 24-10-11 at 02:58 AM.
Old 24-10-11, 06:34 AM   #5
Nicky S
Mega Poster

There was a thread about this the other day and the OP was selling the kits. But i think the mods removed the thread.

This all comes from svrider so USA mostly will these light kits be ok in UK as we drive on the other side or is it the plastic cover of the light unit that angles the light ??

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-11, 11:43 AM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by borka View Post
you have the same projector in your naked stock round headlight as well?
whats wrong with your setup?

Edit:

These are NOT the same hid's you had on your bike.

how is this: (your bike hid's G5 model from china) is "exact same equipment" as the mini hid projector in the above install?
those projectors wouldnt even fit in the stock SV headlight housing.
Equipment

Same hid ballast, connectors, loom, angel eye ballast. Actually the base adaptor for the bulb is the same as mine too. So is the bulb holder and the cabling is identical.

The plastic lens surround is shorter, but that won't really affect reliability. Do you have pics of the high/low solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post
There was a thread about this the other day and the OP was selling the kits. But i think the mods removed the thread.

This all comes from svrider so USA mostly will these light kits be ok in UK as we drive on the other side or is it the plastic cover of the light unit that angles the light ??
borka seems to be selling them too
Old 24-10-11, 02:31 PM   #7
borka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post

Hey Nicky,

The post was removed because making outright selling adds is against the rules of this forum;
This thread is an informative thread, which explains in detail the proccess of installing an hid projector kit.

If you look at post #2, you will see the cutoff line against the garage door; the beam is slightly higher on the left side, which is a correct cutoff for RHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Equipment

Same hid ballast, connectors, loom, angel eye ballast. Actually the base adaptor for the bulb is the same as mine too. So is the bulb holder and the cabling is identical.

The plastic lens surround is shorter, but that won't really affect reliability. Do you have pics of the high/low solenoid?

borka seems to be selling them too
Darren,

This is a very popular mod in the US, and the guys at uniquemotolights spent time and money researching and putting together this kit. As far as i know this is the ONLY hid projector kit developed that would fit the stock sv650 naked headlight, with no major modifications or cutting up the back of the headlight. So good luck putting that G5 projector into the stock round headlight, as its a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT projector, it will simply not fit.

I am really baffled as to why you are bashing on some one elses product, without even using it, seeing it, or having the same projector kit.

All slim ballasts are similar looking; some are crap and some are good; im sorry if you had a bad experience with your chinese kit, but you cant say that because you dont like your perticular kit, that ALL the kits every where are crap. This is NOT the same kit, not even close.
You make a very funny point in saying the connectors are the same, the little screw that holds the bulb is the same, the back adapter plate is the same; Well how different can a standard H4 adapter plate be? or how different can STANDARD AMP hid connectors be?

Im sorry if i sound harsh, but im simply not understanding the reason for your comments.

And NO i am not selling these kits. That would be against forum rules.
Old 24-10-11, 03:06 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I'm just saying that I have an identical kit in my garage and it wasn't very good. I didn't say the G5 would fit in the stock headlight

Where are your ballasts sourced from?
Old 24-10-11, 03:37 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Problem with Chinese stuff is its quality is very hit and miss.
You can get bi Xenon kits of e bay for £20.
Your not getting quality at that price .
I'd want to see the pattern on a beam setter before going to get £250 and spending on it.
Took our service tec 5 sets to get ones to work in his Ford .one even caught Fire =
Old 05-11-11, 09:19 PM   #10
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Borka are you still selling these kits or know we're I can get one ??

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote