SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-06, 06:43 AM   #1
skulpt

Default Tyre choice

Just a quickie about tyres folks. I dont want a pure sports tyre as i do alot of miles. However i need good grip in the bends aswell as durability on the road. Any ideas on a good compramise would be great.
Old 18-10-06, 07:01 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 is a great allround tyre with more than enough grip for my SV1000.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-06, 07:24 AM   #3
M65

Same here. Wont have anything else on my K3. They last forever and give tons of grip too. A couple of my mates work for bike tyre companies and they both rate them very highly indeed. Get some!
Old 18-10-06, 08:45 AM   #4
Baph

Amen to the above. The best 'mod' I've made to my K6 was fitting a Z6 rear.
Old 18-10-06, 08:49 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Also the Strada tyre is I'm told essentially the same tyre as the Z6 so could be worth a look.Pirelli innit?
Old 18-10-06, 08:52 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Conti Roadattack gets great reports too. Never tried those, I use Roadtecs- even taken them to intermediate group trackdays and they've not let me down (though they weren't too happy) 020s are still decent tyres too, not quite as good but not far off.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-06, 08:58 AM   #7
Baph

Guy I work with rides a Bandit 600 & has Conti RoadAttacks front & back. He's been riding for as long as he legally could (and probably some more).

I had a stupid grin on my face as we walked into the office one day after he said "Christ the SV moves, I was riding hard & you were staying right behind me, I half expected to loose you."

(It was a very twisty back road on the way in - straights & he'd probably have me)

So yea, cornering ability from the Conti's to the Z6 is probably about the same (and I have a 220 front at the moment - which is a damn good combination actually!)
Old 18-10-06, 06:25 PM   #8
MavUK

Any have any experience with Pilot (Road or power). Looked at Z6 - but at 50 euros more than any other tyre choice I have to ask are they worth it? (Other choices are the 014's that are one there or 020's)

Stu
Old 18-10-06, 06:37 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Try looking for Diablo Stradas... basically the same tyre. Roadtecs aren't that expensive here, and considering they last longer than most other tyres it works out as good value.

The paradox of the sports tyre user- every so often, someone will say "I don't know why <sports> has a reputation for short life, mine lasted for ages". In which case, they were wasting the extra grip, since soft tyres only last when babied. And if you're not using the grip, why pay for it?

These days, so called "sports touring" tyres are better than the supersports tyres of a decade ago. The sporty road tyres of today are, apparently, on a par with the typical club racing tyres of 10 years ago (can't speak for this, but Niall Mac says so)

Personally, I wouldn't use 014s, they sacrifice too much life without showing much benefit IMO.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-06, 06:50 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
Any have any experience with Pilot (Road or power). Looked at Z6 - but at 50 euros more than any other tyre choice I have to ask are they worth it? (Other choices are the 014's that are one there or 020's)

Stu
Personally I'd stay away from 014's they work well when they are hot and are really grippy, but you have to work to keep the heat in them and IMHO they dont like cold and wet conditions so if your an all year round rider you might want to think about something else. Also they give sh*t milleage as they are really soft. I had 1800 miles out of a rear on my GSXR and it was absoloutly f*cked when I took it off.

Depends what you want from a tyre really, but IMHO you cant go wrong with the Z6 Metzler.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote