SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-12, 12:53 PM   #1
jharries92

Red face Restricting SV650K8 - how?

Hi There all this is my first post here,

I passed my bike test few months ago and i am now the proud owner of a SV 650 K8 (200

I need to have it restricted to 33BHP for my insurance to be valid before i can ride it.
I dont know exactly how this is done but I have been phoning around my local dealers asking how it can be done and how much it would cost and every anwer is diffrent

From spending a few hours looking around the net this morning i beleive that i just need to replace the ECU under the seat with a restricted one and get a certificate stamped by a dealer?

Can someone please tell me if this is correct and what exactly is the part call that i need?

also how much do they cost and where is the cheapest place to buy them from?

Many Thanks
Old 25-04-12, 01:04 PM   #2
SuzukiNess

Default Re: Suzuki SV 650 K8 (2008) Restrictor HELP!

you do need a ECU restrictor unit - your local Suzuki dealer should be able to advise if you actually need a part number Road & Race advised they cost (new) £250 - suzuki use to do them for free with new bikes but apparently not any more.. (price checked for my sister last week)

i'm not sure what the procedure would be if you had to purchase one privately as you would still need a certificate stating its restricted (had my insurance cancelled when i first started riding as the dealership took their sweet time sending me the certificate )

hopefully someone who can shed more light will come along shortly
Old 25-04-12, 01:05 PM   #3
SuzukiNess

quick search on ebay brought up quite a few forsale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...#ht_600wt_1139
Old 25-04-12, 04:55 PM   #4
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I've moved this thread so you get a wider selection of opinions and bits of information
Old 25-04-12, 05:46 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

as far as i'm aware the earlier ones >k7 wont work as the bike was changed to a twin spark ignition system.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 09:51 PM   #6
Spikenipple

I have a K7 onwards two-plug type restrictor ECU for sale if you need one.

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 10:17 PM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiNess View Post
you do need a ECU restrictor unit - your local Suzuki dealer should be able to advise if you actually need a part number Road & Race advised they cost (new) £250 - suzuki use to do them for free with new bikes but apparently not any more.. (price checked for my sister last week)

i'm not sure what the procedure would be if you had to purchase one privately as you would still need a certificate stating its restricted (had my insurance cancelled when i first started riding as the dealership took their sweet time sending me the certificate )

hopefully someone who can shed more light will come along shortly
Firstly, a used restricted ECU for an SV650 can bought for as little as 35 quid on ebay.

By law you DO NOT need a certificate. Some insurance companies require some form of restriction paperwork, your local dealer should be able to write something up for you to the effect of "we fitted a restricted ECU/inlet restrictors/throttle stop to bike reg number XXXXXXX" and that'll do for that side of things - I've written a few of these for guys who've popped into my shop and not one insurance company has rejected it yet.

If your insurance company does require a 'certificate' not an invoice or dyno sheet, simply find another one who doesn't. In my experience, the insurance companies who give you the most grief when you try to take out a policy are the ones who give you even more grief when you try to make a claim. You don't need an insurance company that obstructive - if they want your business then they should be nice to you, not vice versa. Just remember it's you paying them, you are the customer and you should expect a certain level of service. Unfortunately there are too many insurance companies who don't seem to understand this concept, so find one of those who do.