SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-05, 07:47 PM   #1
Mr Sensible

Default FORK OIL CHANGE - ADVICE

I guess that this has already been covered in previous posts but I can't find it!

I'm planning to upgrade the fork springs and oil on my 02 this weekend. My question is; has anybody had experience of draining the oil without removing the forks, if so, how did you do it and was it successful?

Any advice/tips appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Old 02-02-05, 08:49 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I'm planning on doing this for my forks too some time soo.
I looked into this last summer and the only DIY methods i found on the net involved taking the forks out entirely.
i've asked about and a guy who races SV's wants about £140 to do mine for me.
that includes the new springsand spacers and iol etc etc.

hth

Welcome to the site btw. make sure you get over to idle banter and say hi. Its a good thing to do
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 08:53 PM   #3
jonboy

Default Re: FORK OIL CHANGE - ADVICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sensible
I guess that this has already been covered in previous posts but I can't find it!

I'm planning to upgrade the fork springs and oil on my 02 this weekend. My question is; has anybody had experience of draining the oil without removing the forks, if so, how did you do it and was it successful?

Thanks

Steve
It can be done but you won't get all the crap out without removing the forks and upending them. To be honest having been part of the team of newbies that did six bikes in one day (with Rictus and the Evil Dr Squid giving orders ) I'd say it took no longer to remove the forks than to siphon out the oil.

Old 02-02-05, 09:14 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: FORK OIL CHANGE - ADVICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sensible

Thanks

Steve
It can be done but you won't get all the crap out without removing the forks and upending them. To be honest having been part of the team of newbies that did six bikes in one day (with Rictus and the Evil Dr Squid giving orders ) I'd say it took no longer to remove the forks than to siphon out the oil.

Damn. I wish i'd been around when you guys did that.
I dont mind getting my hands dirty and doing jobs like that on the bike ... if i'm in the company of someone who knows what theyre doing that is!!
Shame i missed it, cos if my bike dives any more i'll have to get it a wet suit!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 10:13 PM   #5
jonboy

If there are enough peeps that want to get it done in a month or two I think everyone would be up for a repeat performance.

Old 02-02-05, 10:15 PM   #6
BURNER

I visited Elmerfud's and had my suspension modified. If you saw the crud that came out of my 4 year old forks you'd always take the tubes out and up end them.
Check out some of the threads on jacking your bike up. Easy enough to do.
Old 02-02-05, 10:42 PM   #7
Mr Toad

Having been the one out of the six that had to drain the oil without removing the forks, I'd say that it was probably better to remove them.

If you take the end caps off, they're still under some pressure, so tend to spring off, eh Greg

You can then siphon out the old oil without too much bother, but refilling it to the right level becomes a bit hit & miss

I took loads of photo's of the day, and am supposedly writing it up, but I have to admit that I forgot all about it, and am now very busy work wise, so it'll be a few more weeks yet . . .
Old 02-02-05, 10:45 PM   #8
jonboy

Here's the thread about it:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...ight=fork+fest

Old 02-02-05, 10:52 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Can't see any point in trying to avoid it myself, the strip-down is dead dead simple. I know it could be intimidating to basically take the whole front off your bike But it's really not a big deal.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 01:35 PM   #10
Barty_b0y

you could always download the manual from here somwhere and use that as a reference