SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-07, 09:42 AM   #1
andy

Default Parking fine appeal - bike on centrestand

Just heard a news story on the radio.

A barrister in Surrey is appealing 100 parking fines he got on his GS500, he argues that as the bike was on its centrestand and none of the wheels were touching the ground, the fine was not valid! (I dont really see how he managed to balance it on the centrestand)

Imagine how many SV's will get centrestands if he wins!
Old 13-07-07, 10:20 AM   #2
wyrdness

Default Re: Parking fine appeal - bike on centrestand

It's difficult, but not impossible, to balance a bike on its centrestand. You need just the right amount of petrol in the tank, which makes me a bit suspicious of this guys claim.

I once saw a BMW balanced on its centrestand. It was rocking gently forwards and backwards, which was constantly setting off its alarm.
Old 13-07-07, 10:31 AM   #3
The Basket

He has 100 parking tickets?

He believes that a centrestand can give him magic powers or is a cloaking device?

He owns a GS500?

It just doesnt make sense.
Old 13-07-07, 10:46 AM   #4
pups3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post

He believes that a centrestand can give him magic powers or is a cloaking device?

He owns a GS500?

lol
Old 13-07-07, 11:20 AM   #5
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post

He owns a GS500?

Old 13-07-07, 12:48 PM   #6
Warthog

Hmmm, bit of an idiot waiting for 100 parking tickets to try out his feeble defence!
Old 13-07-07, 01:50 PM   #7
K

Perhaps he is under the illusion that it is one of those 'unwritten' laws of the road...

... like the one that states that if you switch your hazard lights on it means you are allowed to park anywhere. Usually on double yellow lines, right outside the shop you want to just 'pop' into.
Old 13-07-07, 02:05 PM   #8
MiniMatt

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2067281.ece

If I've read that right he's taken it to the court of appeal and they've yet to make their judgment? If they do make a judgment (either way) would that set a precedent?

Overall, I'd have to say I agree with the comments posted at the bottom of the posted link, ie. "using his knowledge of the law for a childish avoidance of his social responsibility" and "before one buys a vehicle, one should consider where it will be kept...just not stick it on public property to the inconvenience of anybody else".

Presumably all the other party needs to do is take a photo of his bike with one of the wheels touching the ground, as I can't believe his centre stand perfectly balances on each and every occasion.
Old 13-07-07, 05:45 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Generally I'd agree with the comments about social responsibility, with my politics it's a subject that matters. Before we criticise though think; we don't know anything about the circumstances in which the bike in question is parked, I often used to park my bike on the pavement outside my house, where I live it makes complete sense to do so, obstructs no-one and frees up valuable roadspace for parking cars. Of course it's always been illegal to do so, but before there was a residents parking permit scheme where I live, (kerchingg! Camden), we weren't infested with parking warden filth, and the Police didn't care as it caused no problems. Now that's another yummy ticket for a rapacious, disgustingly behaved and commonly fraudulent parking service. (Just like the one in Islington which is equally the cause of complaint to the residents there).
We have to bear in mind that just because someone parks illegally it doesn't by necessity mean badly, obstructively or in any way that we should criticise. There are many places very close to where I live that have been lined for no higher reason than the desire to fine - there's no moral high ground in calling something illegal if it's like that because of the profit possibilities of making it so.
I haven't any problems at all with someone using a technicality to avoid the profiteering tactics of a greedy local authority - they'd use any and every weasel technicality to relieve you of your money.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-07, 06:15 PM   #10
independentphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
I can't believe his centre stand perfectly balances on each and every occasion.
I was thinking about this..... maybe he has welded some large(r) discs onto the feet. That might do the trick.

Garry