SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-04-08, 11:53 AM   #1
thegunnerman

Default Slack Chain

Hi all, as a newbee rider this is my first post so Hope its goiung in the right place on the sight. So heres the problem I have. I have a curvy 2000reg SV650, I travel 190 miles on a Sunday to get to work, do a few short trips during the week and then a 190 mile trip back home on a Friday. Now after every 190 mile journey the chain has slackened off to around 4 or more cm play. I re-tighten it to the recommended settings as per the manuals, (Loosen the Nut on the Spindle, loosen the Torque bar, adjust using the Allen key on both sides and then re-tighten all to the correct torque setting). Is this right? Should I need to check and adjust the chain this often? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-08, 11:57 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help!!! Slack Chain

Your chain's fubar'd mate, simple as that!. A healthy chain shouldn't need adjustment that much.

Given that weekly mileage,you should really fit a scottoiler (at a minimum lube it every couple of hundred miles).

Oh and Welcome.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 12:03 PM   #3
Mogs

Welcome
Old 09-04-08, 12:07 PM   #4
sinbad

Make sure you're adjusting the chain tension at the chain's tightest spot, and give it a really good clean and lube next time, if you don't anyway. I think it's quite likely that, as rictus sasys, your chain is worn out though. How do the sprockets look?
Old 09-04-08, 12:58 PM   #5
DanAbnormal

Default Re: Slack Chain

Hmm, yeah sounds knackered to me. Get new chain and sprockets and lube once/twice a week.
Old 09-04-08, 03:30 PM   #6
thegunnerman

Cheer fellas, what a fast reply. A new chain it is then, sprockets are fine and I have a Scottoiler fitted.
Old 09-04-08, 03:36 PM   #7
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunnerman View Post
Cheer fellas, what a fast reply. A new chain it is then, sprockets are fine and I have a Scottoiler fitted.
Change the sprockets at the same time. They will have worn "with" your old chain and will knacker a new chain in double quick time if you don't change the lot.
Old 09-04-08, 05:00 PM   #8
sv650k4

+1.
Old 09-04-08, 05:51 PM   #9
thegunnerman

Nice one, will do. Thanks for the advice. and what a great site been hear for the 3 hours reading through all sorts of stuff.
Old 09-04-08, 06:03 PM   #10
sv650k4

go into the for sale section of this site and you will see a guy selling a new chain and sprocket kit.may be of use 2 you.