SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-12, 02:42 PM   #1
Sebulba

Default Why isn't chain slack controlled automatically?

Hello org,

It's probably a stupid question, but why don't bike chains have a tensioner?

I understand the need for slack in the chain, since the sprocket is not concentric with the swingarm pivot point, but why can't this slack be controlled by a tensioner?

Mihai
Old 17-08-12, 03:07 PM   #2
HoL

Default Re: Why isn't chain slack controlled automatically?

If it could be done, someone would have done it. If you accellerate hard then the force on the tensioner would be massive & the chain would go slack at the bottom.

I don't really have a clue of course but that makes sense to me
Old 17-08-12, 03:14 PM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Simply put its cost over function
Old 17-08-12, 03:26 PM   #4
ClunkintheUK

If the drive only went on one side of the chain, it would probably be possible (like on a pushbike with a freewheel).

But since motorbikes engine brake, the tension can go to both the top (accelerating) and bottom (engine braking) of the chain, thus the tensioner cannot go on either side as it always has to be on the 'slack' side (like a fixed wheel pushbike).
Old 17-08-12, 03:30 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think its called an idler wheel and if i'm not mistaken a trials bike used to have one as i'm sure i have seen one before.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 03:32 PM   #6
Spank86

Presumably the pressure required to keep the chain taught would cause a lot of wear on whatever was doing it, plus you wouldn't get any warnings that your chain was getting old and tired.
Old 17-08-12, 04:00 PM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes trail enduro bikes used to have them My DT 250 had one.
But you need a combination of the sprung loaded action to keep the tension right,Plus a ratchet mechanisum to step out to take up wear.
Same as cam chan tensioners.We know how well they behave don't we,And they are sheilded from muck and grit.
Old 19-08-12, 08:50 AM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I know that a chain drive is a fairly efficient transfer of power from the engine (providing that it is well maintained), but why has shaft drive not dominated the scene, the benefits must surely outweigh the negatives?

No need of a chain oiler if you have a shaft spinning in a lubricated gear box and no dirty wheels from chain fling either also no need to check chain stretch once a week and adjust for slack. Opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-12, 09:07 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Shafts don't generally run in oil, the bevel drive at the back end has gearbox oil. The front bevel drive runs in the engine oil.
The only bit in the middle is the UJ which on most is enclosed inside the swingarm with a rubber boot to keep the crap off.

I'm not particularly concerned about my XJ wearing it's final drive out, I think they nicked it from a tractor.

Nothing wrong with having a chain tensioner but it couldn't have a ratchet, this would snap something right sharp due to suspension movement.

And also I'm fairly sure I've done 15,000 miles or more without adjusting the chain on the SV, don't really see the need for more modification!
Old 19-08-12, 09:31 AM   #10
speedyandypandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
I know that a chain drive is a fairly efficient transfer of power from the engine (providing that it is well maintained), but why has shaft drive not dominated the scene, the benefits must surely outweigh the negatives?

No need of a chain oiler if you have a shaft spinning in a lubricated gear box and no dirty wheels from chain fling either also no need to check chain stretch once a week and adjust for slack. Opinions?
Because it cost more to manufactor, less spare part sale, less power(us boys are terrible hung up on bhp) just some reasons that came to mind before the coffee kicks in