SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-14, 01:34 PM   #11
Pete7

Default Re: Continental Conti Motion opinions?

The loud report on the ride to work made me jump, but since this is Gosport I presumed someone was just shooting at me . The bike trundled on a couple of miles to work with no noticeable difference. Came out of work later on Thursday evening and the the rear tire was flat. Opps, now I know what the bang was. Crawled into ATS just down the road and the lads pulled a 50 x 5mm bolt out of the middle of the tire. Hole to big to repair, time for a new tire.

So the existing Conti montions have done 4000 miles over the last year and been very impressive. Shame about the rear because it could have done another 2000 miles easily. Therefore asked ATS to replace with a new Conti montion rear which seems well suited for the daily commute to work and at a sensible price.

Picked the bike up and it came with both tires now filled with Nitrogen Not totally convinced by the benefits since air is 79% nitrogen anyway, but its in there and so will see. Oh and she now sports bright green valve caps, perhaps they could catch on.

Pete

Last edited by Pete7; 22-01-14 at 01:36 PM.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-14, 09:09 PM   #12
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The loud report on the ride to work made me jump, but since this is Gosport I presumed someone was just shooting at me . The bike trundled on a couple of miles to work with no noticeable difference. Came out of work later on Thursday evening and the the rear tire was flat. Opps, now I know what the bang was. Crawled into ATS just down the road and the lads pulled a 50 x 5mm bolt out of the middle of the tire. Hole to big to repair, time for a new tire.

So the existing Conti montions have done 4000 miles over the last year and been very impressive. Shame about the rear because it could have done another 2000 miles easily. Therefore asked ATS to replace with a new Conti montion rear which seems well suited for the daily commute to work and at a sensible price.

Picked the bike up and it came with both tires now filled with Nitrogen Not totally convinced by the benefits since air is 79% nitrogen anyway, but its in there and so will see. Oh and she now sports bright green valve caps, perhaps they could catch on.

Pete
Dry air works just as well as nitrogen, and anybody using their compressed air to fill tires (or run tools) should have a good drier on the system.
Old 22-01-14, 09:42 PM   #13
Murley.

I'm on my third set of conti motions on the sv and they are simply brilliant for the price. Plenty of grip in the dry and wet and I managed to get 7 to 8 thousand miles out if the rear. When pushing hard in the dry they do like to squirm about but they do this very predictably.
Old 23-01-14, 03:24 AM   #14
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Still running mine and still very happy with them, my chicken strips are less than a cm from the sides which shows that I am trusting them in corners and with about 6K covered and still plenty of tyre still left on the rear, they are doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-14, 12:04 PM   #15
Corny Gizmo

Getting some fitted tomorrow at 1 oclock, I'll let you know how it goes if you want OP?

Heard nothing but positive comments for their low price
Old 24-01-14, 01:43 PM   #16
SUPERSTARDJ01

I have road attacks 4000 miles on them on a heavy 1200cc and still going strong, only time I had a issue with them is when I hit a diesel spill while turning and the back gave way otherwise never an issue.
Old 24-01-14, 03:31 PM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
I have road attacks only time I had a issue with them is when I hit a diesel spill while turning .
If you find a hoop that can cope with diesel don't keep it a secret
Old 27-01-14, 11:05 AM   #18
Corny Gizmo

I can confirm, brilliant grip even in wet and they werent fully "Scrubbed in", "Worn in" or whatever we are calling it these days!

Had a spirited ride to work this morning on them
Old 04-12-19, 09:42 AM   #19
Pete7

So, after another couple of sets of Conti-motions I again need new tyres. Bike used to commute through town traffic all year round with very little motorway work. Price important but not at the expense of quality.

So more Conti's or is there something better of late?

Pete
Old 04-12-19, 10:35 AM   #20
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Michelin Road 5, or Metzeler 01.

I've been impressed with both Road 5 and PR4 that I had before. trying out the Metzeler at the moment, too early to tell yet but a lot of people recommend them.

I find Conti tyres including car and bicycle wear out too quickly. Grippy, but at the cost of durability.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote