SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-21, 07:45 PM   #2301
svenrico

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
i would only imagine stabiliser is needed if you're not moving or running the machine for months, and its being left dormant.
yes, that's what I thought.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-21, 07:57 PM   #2302
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
i would only imagine stabiliser is needed if you're not moving or running the machine for months, and its being left dormant.
I agree, but I use a splash of Redex pretty much every tank, not a stabiliser but a cleaner. I think Ethanol fuel is another smoke and mirrors climate change thing, it is supposed to be carbon neutral because the sugar cane or corn or whatever they brew the ethanol from is supposed to grow again and absorb the carbon released by burning it, this does not cover the carbon used to process the stuff or to transport it around the globe. The fact that they destroy rainforest and use land that could be used for food to grow the stuff, and that Ethanol contains a lot less energy than petrol so you need to burn more to go same distance seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-21, 09:20 PM   #2303
Seeker
Mega Poster

We used to import ethanol from Brazil but British Sugar opened a production plant (in Norfolk) that takes locally produced sugar beet (from Lincs, Cambs). The Vivergo Fuels ethanol plant near Hull reopened this year and it takes wheat (I think) for its raw material.
We are moving to E10 (%) ethanol from E5 later this year. "Super" grade petrol, which used to be ethanol free (at some stations), will become E5.

Last edited by Seeker; 17-05-21 at 09:21 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 07:44 AM   #2304
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I really narks me that UK land that could ( should ) be used to grow food, and now the food itself (wheat and corn ) is being used to degrade our petrol...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 05:29 PM   #2305
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I agree, but I use a splash of Redex pretty much every tank, not a stabiliser but a cleaner. I think Ethanol fuel is another smoke and mirrors climate change thing, it is supposed to be carbon neutral because the sugar cane or corn or whatever they brew the ethanol from is supposed to grow again and absorb the carbon released by burning it, this does not cover the carbon used to process the stuff or to transport it around the globe. The fact that they destroy rainforest and use land that could be used for food to grow the stuff, and that Ethanol contains a lot less energy than petrol so you need to burn more to go same distance seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.
For my bike & car i tend to use the branded fuel stations, as their standard quality petrol (with their added detergents and other chemicals) are *supposed* to be better for the engines than normal Supermarket fuel. If i do have to use supermarket fuel (bike only) i use the highest Octane, as i do see a drop in MPG on the normal version.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 07:01 PM   #2306
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've been considering buying an intercom for a while but was put off by the prices in the past. I'm not interested in making calls but I would like to talk to others riders whilst out riding on the odd occasion I've a riding partner. I've a trip coming up in June and due to its location it means a 3 hour ride to meet up with my London chums, music might be good...

After reading various reviews I bought a Fodsport MS-1. It only cost £66 so I'm not expecting miracles but so far I'm impressed. As well as doing the phone thing and playing media via Bluetooth it can also do 'hey Google' and do other interactions. I just need to test it out on the road next.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-21, 07:20 PM   #2307
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
....... Fodsport MS-1. I just need to test it out on the road next......
I'll be interested to see how well it works John.

The thing that deters me from using a bluetooth/intercom thingy is the fact that I like to wear earplugs. I'm wondering about how much wind/road noise will leak past earphones.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 07:38 PM   #2308
aj76

I have just got the HJC (Sena) 20B on an offer for just over £100 only to find I mis-read the leaflet in the box with my latest (last year) lid. Mrs said as it was a deal I can have a compatible lid for fathers day

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I bought a Fodsport MS-1.
I was talking at the weekend to a colleague at the gliding school and the regular group of friends he rides with really rates them, said they also act as relays between the group so no one misses anything.
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 08:05 PM   #2309
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'll be interested to see how well it works John.

The thing that deters me from using a bluetooth/intercom thingy is the fact that I like to wear earplugs. I'm wondering about how much wind/road noise will leak past earphones.
I wear Motosafe earplugs which cut a lot of the low frequency sound out and I can usual hear people talk okay with them in. I'll still be wearing them with the intercom, it seems loud enough to penetrate.
Weather looks okay tomorrow so maybe I'll get a chance to try it.

Old 18-05-21, 08:11 PM   #2310
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj76 View Post

I was talking at the weekend to a colleague at the gliding school and the regular group of friends he rides with really rates them, said they also act as relays between the group so no one misses anything.
I bet they work well up in the air with nothing to interfere with the signal. You can link up to 8 bikes over 2km using a Bluetooth relay system apparently. It uses Bluetooth v4.1 too.