SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-06, 09:56 PM   #1
Jon from Bristol

Default K4 SV650s Rear LED light Cluster question

Hi all,

I bought my K4 from new in 2004 and have done 2K on her so far and am loving every mile i've riden. I recently noticed that only 5 of my 7 LED's are lit up both sides of the rear light cluster. Can anyone tell me does this mean that the LED's are blown or could there be a problem with the circuit board? Also is this an easy job to fix? I thought I'd ask you guys before I did something stupid and went out and bought a whole new assembly from the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon from Bristol.
Old 11-06-06, 10:07 PM   #2
rigor

I've had exactly the same thing happen on my k3. It was pointed out to me at one of the Selkent meets, and I thought in my hamfisted-ness I'd trapped one of the cables while fitting my hamicad, and penciled itin as something to fix next time I was checking the bike. Lo and behold, next time I checked they were all working

Sinnce then I've kept an eye on them, and occasionally they stop working. But as far as I can tell its just the tail light part of the wiring, when the brake is applied all the LED's light up. So I'm not overly worried about it.

I've also spotted another pointy with the same problem (I'm not sure who it was, they were leaving a Soho meet as I arrived), so while I don't think it's a common problem, your not alone

IMO it's not a bad thing from a visibility point of view either, since the whole section lights up when braking, I think it would make it easier for people following to tell when you brake, as opposed to just an intensity change as standard.

So, at the end of this long and rambling post, I would just suggest to check the cabling and connections, and check it with the brake on, to see if the bulbs have blown, I'd be surprised.

HTH

Rigor
Old 14-06-06, 10:55 AM   #3
Jon from Bristol

Hi
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Only both sides of the 5 of 7 lights are lighting both individually as side lights and simultaneously as brake lights.

I just stripped down the rear seat cowling (what a fiddly job that was!) only to discover its a sealed unit. I confirmed this with my local Suzuki dealer. The only wiring going into the unit is the main supply wires from the loom. So i'm guessing the fault lies within the unit. By the way, the parts dept want £85 for a new unit. Ouch! Wish I bought a bike with good old fashioned light bulbs in now.

Jon.
Old 14-06-06, 10:58 AM   #4
Jon from Bristol

Anyone know where I can get a new rear LED light unit for my K4 SV650s any cheaper than asking £85?

Jon from Bristol.
Old 14-06-06, 12:08 PM   #5
BillyC
Mega Poster

I think it might be something to do with the voltage provided by the alternator and rectifier when the bike is idling. The top LED's on many bikes are dimmer at idle or engine-off - once you get going, things are much better I think.

Keep an eye on it, before cashing out for a replacement set that you don't need and is a pain in the backside to fit!
Old 14-06-06, 12:52 PM   #6
Jon from Bristol

Thanks Bill

Never thought of trying it with the engine running. I just tried it now in the garage with the engine running and the wife almost being choked to death at the back end, squinting her eyes at the lights....and its still the same. Good point about the voltage though. I'm totally in the dark about this as electrics is not my strong point. If I knew the amount of current and voltage that is supposed to be supplied to the unit i could check it with a voltmeter. If I had one lol.

Do you think a dealer would have a clue? I'm sure they would take one look and say "it needs a new unit Sir". But then if its the voltage......hmmm, Maybe I should give them a call. I hate DEALERS lol.

Jon

Ps. Wife is recovering nicely now
Old 14-06-06, 01:53 PM   #7
TimTucker

You might want to be giving it some revs, rather than just relying on tickover.

I try to check all my electrics are working every time I clean the bike. I've noticed on my rear lights, the top two LEDs of each stack are faint in normal operation, but everything lights up like Satan's Christmas tree when I hit the brake pedal or pull the front lever.

If everything is lighting up fine on your LEDs when you hit the brake pedal then I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old 14-06-06, 10:13 PM   #8
Jon from Bristol

Ok
So I called the dealer today and said that they will look at it. Silly me, they have reminded me that it still has a few months warranty remaining and they say this problem should be covered by the warranty. I'll hold my breath for this one.

I'm sure it has something to do with the voltage. And no it DOESN'T make any difference when i rev it.

Its with the dealers on the 23rd of this month (June). I'll let you all know if you are still curious what the outcome is. Thanks for all your help.

Jon from Bristol.
Old 15-06-06, 08:31 PM   #9
gomez

Default Rear LED Problem

How old is your bike and what kind of milage? I'm thinking of buying one and want to know if this is common.
Old 15-06-06, 11:24 PM   #10
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I imagine you have fractured the pcb at some point, LEDS use painfully little power so revving ought to make no difference apart from vibrating the unit
LEDS should last a lifetime. I've not seen inside a unit, will it come apart? If so should be a few mins with a soldering iron.

Theres one on ebay here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-SV650-S...QQcmdZViewItem a lot cheaper than a new one
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote