SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-18, 12:04 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Looking into buying a 2008 SV650, concerns

2500 miles in eight years and the two years without use is not good, bike has spent most of its life sitting still, and that can be worse than an average mileage bike. At that mileage tyres likely to be original and maybe will have developed flat spots from standing, either way new tyres will be needed. Battery may also be FUBAR from lack of use. Inside of petrol tank may be rusting, various bits probably seized up, electrics a bit corroded. Bike looks shiny on the outside, but maybe if it did not get yearly oil changes when used and fresh oil before it was layed up there may bearing and bore / piston ring corrosion and seals hardened up through lack of use. Personally I would not buy it but that is just me who has seen a lot of problems caused by bikes and cars not being used regularly.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 12:10 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

if its sold as a non runner then thats what it is. when buying a bike you must hear it running but it takes good knowledgable ears to spot if something is wrong. you could buy something else but that could be a dog.

something else to consider. is it a genuine 2008 model? if it is it should be a twin spark.

two years is nothing depending on how fresh the oil was when stored.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 12:24 PM   #13
jwray4422

Default Looking into buying a 2008 SV650, concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
2500 miles in eight years and the two years without use is not good, bike has spent most of its life sitting still, and that can be worse than an average mileage bike. At that mileage tyres likely to be original and maybe will have developed flat spots from standing, either way new tyres will be needed. Battery may also be FUBAR from lack of use. Inside of petrol tank may be rusting, various bits probably seized up, electrics a bit corroded. Bike looks shiny on the outside, but maybe if it did not get yearly oil changes when used and fresh oil before it was layed up there may bearing and bore / piston ring corrosion and seals hardened up through lack of use. Personally I would not buy it but that is just me who has seen a lot of problems caused by bikes and cars not being used regularly.

Thanks for the suggestion, I bought a 2010 CBR1000RR in 2016 and it only had 2900 miles. Everything works great the only difference is that it ran at the time, I’m trying to get the lady to send me a video of it running before I tow a trailer 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jwray4422; 18-06-18 at 01:59 PM.
jwray4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 02:24 PM   #14
jwray4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
It looks pretty much like my 1999 Curvy when I got it last year.16k on the clock but well looked after.I've been right through the machine as well and keep up regular maintenance as this could well be the last Motorcycle I buy

Good looking bike!

Old 18-06-18, 05:38 PM   #15
Talking Heads

When I look at this excellent example of a naked curvy it strikes me that something has been lost and heads need banging together at the design department.

Compare the look of this Curvy with the current SV.
On the Curvy the tank looks like it was made to fit on the frame, the AL7 needs a plethora of plastic covers to hide the mismatch in the shape of the tank with the lines of the frame. This despite the fact that the AL7 tank is a new design made specifically for the AL7.

The Curvy has a functioning grabrail and if you look closely you can see bungee hooks. AL7 has replaced these functioning items with utterly useless fabric straps.
Curvy has nicely finished clocks and headlamp mount, AL7 has yet more plastic shrouding.
The frame on the Curvy is a major design feature of the bike and boldly on display.
AL7 trellis frame actually looks quite good imo but has yet more plastic shrouding.
Curvy has really nice pillion footrest/exhaust hangers, AL7 has cheap tube and pressed steel jobs.

The SV has come a long way and for me there are two areas in which the AL7 is undoubtedly superior (ABS, fuel economy) but in many ways I feel the aesthetics and functionality of the original design were better.
Suzuki are to be congratulated for the styling improvement of the AL7 over the Gladius, but it looks to me like its been one step forward and two steps back.

Still love my AL7 but looking at the Curvy I realise it could have been so much better.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 06:37 PM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
When I look at this excellent example of a naked curvy it strikes me that something has been lost and heads need banging together at the design department.

Compare the look of this Curvy with the current SV.
On the Curvy the tank looks like it was made to fit on the frame, the AL7 needs a plethora of plastic covers to hide the mismatch in the shape of the tank with the lines of the frame. This despite the fact that the AL7 tank is a new design made specifically for the AL7.

The Curvy has a functioning grabrail and if you look closely you can see bungee hooks. AL7 has replaced these functioning items with utterly useless fabric straps.
Curvy has nicely finished clocks and headlamp mount, AL7 has yet more plastic shrouding.
The frame on the Curvy is a major design feature of the bike and boldly on display.
AL7 trellis frame actually looks quite good imo but has yet more plastic shrouding.
Curvy has really nice pillion footrest/exhaust hangers, AL7 has cheap tube and pressed steel jobs.

The SV has come a long way and for me there are two areas in which the AL7 is undoubtedly superior (ABS, fuel economy) but in many ways I feel the aesthetics and functionality of the original design were better.
Suzuki are to be congratulated for the styling improvement of the AL7 over the Gladius, but it looks to me like its been one step forward and two steps back.

Still love my AL7 but looking at the Curvy I realise it could have been so much better.
I understand exactly what you mean.Apart from all the other things like a great power-plant and I know and understand SV carbs I coveted a,"Naked Curvy" because of it's aesthetic simplicity.The AL7 are still a Super machine though

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 18-06-18 at 06:39 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-18, 12:31 AM   #17
jwray4422

I want to say thanks for everyone’s input! It apparently has less than 1000 miles on it but the speedo is off and reading high, I need to work on that, everything else looks new except the chain as it is rusted pretty good. Started right up when hooked up to cables. I guess I’m part of the SV650 family now (:

Old 21-06-18, 01:17 AM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

the speedo reading high is due to the sensor rotor more than likely broken.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-18, 03:10 PM   #19
Talking Heads

Spot on Seeker, esp about the committee build of the AL7.
I'm reminded of camels and horses.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-18, 03:26 PM   #20
jwray4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the speedo reading high is due to the sensor rotor more than likely broken.

Thank you, I will be order parts in a week or two.