SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-05, 08:12 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default speed cameras

Someone in todays metro suggested that "everyone knows speed kills" and that "speed cameras should be placed every 180m, and fines quadrupled"

How long do you reckon before we see this very thing? If I could buy a country, I'd fit speed cameras that flashed you if you weren't going fast enough.

I can just imagine it though, SPECS camera set at 31mph flashing people left right and centre, banning you from driving in one stretch of road and hitting you for £500 fines. They should have a scoreboard at the end "'Number of banned motorists: "

Old 10-02-05, 08:33 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: speed cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton2005
Someone in todays metro suggested that "everyone knows speed kills" and that "speed cameras should be placed every 180m, and fines quadrupled"
Who was this? i demand you post his full name and address immeadiately. For research purposes of course

By the way... cant make out the uniform in that pic... are you a copper or a pilot??
Sorry for the insult if your a pilot btw
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 08:54 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Speed Kills = B0LL0(K5

We keep hearing this as a mantra for the hang-'em-high contingent, it seems as if this issue is to be spun as hard as most issues of this government.

Surprisingly the governments own statistics suggest that only7% of accidents are as a direct result of speed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:16 PM   #4
Anonymous

Default Re: speed cameras

[quote="Spiderman"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton2005
By the way... cant make out the uniform in that pic... are you a copper or a pilot??
Sorry for the insult if your a pilot btw
check my profile
Old 10-02-05, 09:31 PM   #5
Carsick

I like this as an illustration of how insane people have got http://www.abd.org.uk/ht-kills.htm
Old 10-02-05, 11:28 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Nice one Carsick All perfectly logical, in a completely screwed-up way.

I dunno... I can see the point about increasing speed cameras, in certain areas.. The facts about the chances of survival in a pedestrian vs car collision at 40 compared with 30 do speak for themselves, so I reckon speed in residential 30s should be controlled as tightly as possible... I saw someone say once put a speed camera outside every school, and that i'd agree with.

But it's nonsense to suggest speed's dangerous by itself... So I'd balance it with a total review of speed limits- those 30s that everyone speeds in because they feel like 40s, make 'em 40s. Motorways at 70? Makes no sense. Fast duals at 50? Nonsense...

Combine that with marked play streets to help keep kids off busy roads- that's a great scheme that's never really been fully implemented, it worked well in the pilot areas then got more or less ignored in favour of 20mph zones.

In residential areas, develop well-marked quicker trunk routes, cut down parking on them so that visibility's better, so you can flow cars through safer areas and not down back roads.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 12:45 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Nice one Carsick ... I saw someone say once put a speed camera outside every school, and that i'd agree with.
disagree, the last thing you want outside a school is drivers staring at their speedo to make sure they're not over the limit.

I'd vote for 20 limit but no cameras outside schools.

Overall, the experiments which have removed all road markings, kerbs, footpath edges etc, including at crossroads and T-junctions, seem to work. If you make the roads more puzzling and uncertain, everyone seems to be more careful and tolerant (no priorities = no arguments! )
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 02:08 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Nice one Carsick All perfectly logical, in a completely screwed-up way.

I dunno... I can see the point about increasing speed cameras, in certain areas.. The facts about the chances of survival in a pedestrian vs car collision at 40 compared with 30 do speak for themselves, so I reckon speed in residential 30s should be controlled as tightly as possible... I saw someone say once put a speed camera outside every school, and that i'd agree with.

Now to play devils advocate here, have you seen the TV ad with the kid , broken bones, telling us all if she was hit at 30 she had an 80% chance of surviving and at 40 an 80% chance of not, well me question would be, what the f**k is she doing in the road in the first place

I've no problem with speed limits if they make sense (at 3 pm I'm the guy doing 15 mph going past the school, terrified one of the mums is going to kill me ), but speed cameras are 24hrs and disregard weather or road conditions, so surely going passed a school is safer at midnight as no-one is there? so why should it be 20 mph.

I temper my compliance to the legalities of road use, with a good measure of common sense, much the same as most motoring laws, a dark visor is illegal, but on a bright winters day, I'm not prepared to risk my life and those around me by using a clear one and compromising my observations.

Speed cameras only tell me someone thinks there's a hazard ahead, so I look for it, if it's there, I'll react, if not it's a skills teat, fast as you can up to it, heavy braking before the first marker, straight on the gas at the last one.

Now that should get someones back up

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 08:34 AM   #9
Sholay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
well me question would be, what the f**k is she doing in the road in the first place
She has as much right to use the public roads/pavements as anyone else. Every single person is a pedestrian at some time and every single one deserves some protection from the abuse of public areas.

I believe that 30mph limits should be enforced. Don't care much about other higher limits, by definition the most vulnerable are much less likely to be affected.
Old 11-02-05, 09:11 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
well me question would be, what the f**k is she doing in the road in the first place
She has as much right to use the public roads/pavements as anyone else. Every single person is a pedestrian at some time and every single one deserves some protection from the abuse of public areas.

I believe that 30mph limits should be enforced. Don't care much about other higher limits, by definition the most vulnerable are much less likely to be affected.
both my kids knew not to play in the road, and before they were old enough to understand, were subjected to parental control around roads?

green cross code? parental neglect?

I'm not advocating driving or riding on a playground here, but if kids are to young to understand and cross a road sensibly then someone should either tell them how or take them across. 30 mph will still kill people and as for "abuse of a public area" isn't that playing in the road and not driving/riding down it?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote