SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-15, 08:54 PM   #151
Heorot

Default Re: Test ride challenge

I also test rode a NC750 and I agree with everything you say. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with it. The salesman said that Honda had messed with the engine internals to give more torque low down. What torque? there wasn't any. I cut short the test as couldn't wait to get off it.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-15, 07:38 AM   #152
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
I'd build up to corners slowly.

I think the first thing I noticed was how rubbish the brakes are, remember to use the rear! Once you get used to looking twice as far ahead (because of the brakes) and remember it only has 5 gears, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Ended up having it 2 days. About 170 miles and in the dry! A 1200T Super-low(bags and screen) mid controls, 18" front wheel, 17L tank.

Surprised how much poke it had. I'm an engine man, I can make most anything handle but the Harley was a touch too much. Even my missus was decking it out. Shame, as it can be tossed easily about.

So gorgeous engine, easy getting up to 90mph, goes some blatting out of corners but also enjoyed just watching it at idle jumping about in the frame although I would not want to be stuck at the lights for ages. The dentist bills, you know.
Standard pipes unfortunately, so you could hear all the unfamiliar sounds coming from the engine but I know you could enjoy listening to a free'd up motor all day along with even more performance.

Keyless ignition is a joy to use and the ABS reassuring when you primarily use back brake all the time. Its also a must for her next bike. Light clutch which was another surprise. Digital, numerical rev counter and gear indicator which she particularly liked, scrolled through from the switch gear from the usual trip/odo etc.

Comfy too. Certainly I found it night and day from (having) to ride her Virago535 which is not much smaller in size but has a very tight riding postion. No stretched out daftness on this Harley. Like all croozers with their teeny shocks (hand adjustable pre-load on this one)jarring on the rough roads.

She did not like the weight still being a novice, particularly when stopped or at slow speed.

And of course the price (£9800) although if you have that kind of cash to spend I think its very good value with the amount of standard kit. Excellent residuals too, the 2nd hand 12Sportsters also pricey but most with what most would deem the necessary performance mods (pipes/filter/FI module.)

So overall we were both impressed and surprised. Good bike.

But the search continues. (V7 too tall/wide. BonnieSE, no ABS, weight. MT-07 next and expecting great things....)

Last edited by STRAMASHER; 24-08-15 at 07:36 PM.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-15, 08:32 AM   #153
L3nny
Mega Poster

I'm going to have to add a cruiser to the test ride list one day. I'm not sure how I could convince the salesman I'm interested though. Maybe I'll say I'm buying it for my dad lol

A rocket 3 would be good.
Old 24-08-15, 08:44 AM   #154
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
However the Mrs needs a bike which she can use for commuting and as quite a new rider won't really be able to exploit the power and handling

Better IMHO to have a bike that she can grow into as a rider, than a bike that she's comfortable with today, but will grow out of. It's only as quick as she twists the throttle, and the handling will be there if one day she gets the confidence to exploit it.

As for looks, that's one think I love about Triumphs, they are not plastic jelly moulds.

I wouldn't have said the CB650F was an SV replacement, more an SV alternative, whereas the Street is.

Last edited by Fordward; 24-08-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 24-08-15, 01:11 PM   #155
L3nny
Mega Poster

I can see where you're coming from but I've been riding 8 years and still wouldn't be able to fully exploit an SV or CBF on the road so what's the point in having a bike which costs a lot more to buy, insure and run?

This is the reason I got rid of my Fireblade.
Old 24-08-15, 05:29 PM   #156
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Test 26 - 2014 Triumph Street Triple

As with all of the other Triumphs I have tested the brakes seem a bit spongy, maybe it's just how they are set up bit they don't give me as much confidence as on the Jap bikes.
the brakes can be addressed by opting for the R version which gives you radial and i think the suspension is also better, chucca would be better to say.

looking at the pics you posted it looks like that bike is sitting slightly noise up as the CS are very wide on the front compared to the rear. so if you thought that the handling was good then a slight tweak would bring a fair old gain.

its not about exploiting the capabilities of a bike its about enjoyment of your time upon it. if a bike makes you smile and happy then its the right bike.

Last edited by Bibio; 24-08-15 at 05:30 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-15, 06:14 PM   #157
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the brakes can be addressed by opting for the R version which gives you radial and i think the suspension is also better, chucca would be better to say.
I tried the standard Street before I tried the R.

I found the suspension on the standard bike was very similar to the SV, it was fine until you pushed on and it started to wallow in the corners. The R is set up a bit on the firm side but once you get the pre-load right it tracks way better than the standard bike.

The brakes do have a slightly spongy feel even with the braided hoses, but they have plenty of stopping power and I certainly don't over work them (not even on the track)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 05:53 PM   #158
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I finally got a go on a Yamaha Tracer I did a massive 42 miles.

Things I liked;

The engine - its like the street triple's but on steroids, its very smooth and torquey all the way through the rev range and the bike is plenty quick enough, when I first pulled on the the motorway I found that I was going way quicker than I had thought. I found that it would be more than enough to do big long trips two up and it seemed to be giving good fuel economy as the bike shows your instant MPG and average MPG if you select it to show.
The dash also shows things like ambient temperature, which in a way I quite like but it would only confirm things like OMG its too hot or FFS I'm freezing - talking of the cold the bike has an option to have heated grips fitted that can be controlled through the same system that controls the dash options I do like that idea.

Things that I neither like or dislike;

The riding position - its slightly less focused than the Street and the bars feel a lot wider, even though the tank looks huge on the bike the area around your legs is very narrow so give a nice overall riding shape for all day riding.

The screen - It's a bit of a double edged sword for me having a screen. I found that it really aided in the comfort stakes and I would be able cruise along the motorway for ages, but it also meant I had no wind pressure to make me realise how quickly I was going, I seemed to be going way quicker on the back roads on than I would on a naked bike (and I don't know if that is wise)

The engine management options - I tried all three options on the short ride that I took. All I an say is I'd like a mix of the sport option and the standard option. The Sport option was great on open roads giving the throttle a nice immediate reaction but in town with slow traffic it was far too sharp and made the throttle control almost like a switch. The Standard setting was fine in town but was a little soft out on the open roads. As for the 'safe' option it made the response so soft it was like the cables needed a clean, I doubt I would ever use this option.

Things I didn't like;

The seat - maybe its just my bony backside but I found the seat really firm and it felt like it was cutting into me even after the short 15 mile hop from Falkirk to Kilsyth. I was really quite disappointed because the seating position was great otherwise.

Front end - Once again for me the front end feel when tipping the bike into corners, maybe I'm spoiled with the bike that ride but I find the feedback from the front end somewhat lacking, however I did like the ABS because I had to give it a test as I've never ridden a bike with it before, I did find the leaver pulse slightly strange the first time but once I got over that it was fine. The rear of the bike was fine I could feel what it was doing and you could quite happily push on and feel if the back tyre was starting to give a little.

So overall, I think the Tracer is a great bike but there wasn't any love for me and certainly not enough of anything for me to trade in the Street and get a loan.

Tomorrow I'm going the opposite way to try and sort my touring issues and I'm going to Triumph Edinburgh to try a Sprint ST. I already have the feeling I ain't gonna like it, but you gotta try. Lance your gonna be making me some Pannier frames sooner than you think.

Old 10-09-15, 07:47 PM   #159
Fordward

Default Test ride challenge

I'm already seeing loads of S1000XR on the roads round here, but if BMW reliability in the last 10 years is anything to go by I'd be dubious about that.

There's the Caponord, too focused for me but you like sporty bikes. Trouble is again teething issues, dealers are calling them the Craponord.

If it's touring you want the new Versys 1000 and the Z1000SX need looking at.

The Sprint is a great bike, and the big triple engine will have you hooked, but it's probably feeling a bit dated now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fordward; 10-09-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 08:19 PM   #160
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

the big issue with the Aprilia and BMWs are the price. I can't afford the cash for that. I'll see how the sprint go's tomorrow and Lance's idea of the ST is appealing. I could afford to buy one of them AND keep the STREET for fun.... or even sell the street and have an ST for sense and get an RS250 for ridiculous fun...

Must go convince my mother that having two bikes in her garage would mean I see her twice as often