SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-11-11, 09:16 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Which games console for the wife's exercise regime?

Wife want's a Wii Fit for xmas!

Now I work with leading/bleeding edge business IT systems, and don't really wanna think about technology when I get home, so I'm a bit of a technophobe at home and know nothing about gadgets, and I'm not a gamer.

Friends have an Xbox with a sensor thingy that detects their movements wirelessly, and the kids play dance games and the figure on the screen dances as they dance. What's this called and would it be better than Wii Fit? Does it have adult exercise games as well as kiddies dance games.

It would also be used for some kiddies games by my 4 year old son, and I guess I could be persuaded into the odd first person shoot 'em up or driving game. I used to enjoy Half Life on the PC.

I've also heard of people using their consoles as a Blu Ray, this would be of interest too as I've recently bought a Panasonic 42" plasma 3D TV, and was looking at Panasonic 3D Blu Ray 5.1 cinema systems.

Primarily though, it's her xmas present, with little time to go to the gym these days, she wants to exercise at home. Wii Fit has been around a couple of years. Is there something better?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 27-11-11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 09:22 PM   #2
muzikill
Mega Poster

Xbox kinect with ufc fitness? You can buy a 3d bluray player for under 100 quid now.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 27-11-11 at 09:25 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-11, 09:27 PM   #3
-Ralph-

Default Re: Which games console for the wife's exercise regime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
Xbox kinect with ufc fitness?
That's the one, is that better than a Wii Fit? Does Wii Fit still need you to hold a wired controller in your hand?
Old 27-11-11, 09:29 PM   #4
Specialone

Wifit is cheaper though I think Col, the dedicated games and balance board also weighs you.
Old 27-11-11, 09:35 PM   #5
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Which games console for the wife's exercise regime?

Xbox + kinects.

The big advantage for both small children and women is you don't have to hold anything. the sensor thingy does it all. In the dance / excercise games, the camera sees arms, legs, hands,heads - everything! Not just your hands, or your waist if clipped on.

I'm not that keen, but my daughters love kinectimals (6 year old) and dancing (11 year old).

Bloody good excercise as well, have had a go at adventure game and was bloody knackered after 1/2 hour jumping around.

Plus side is motoGP on xbox is an excellent bike game

Last edited by SIII; 27-11-11 at 09:39 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-11, 09:37 PM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Wifit is cheaper though I think Col, the dedicated games and balance board also weighs you.
Just noticing that on Google shopping, but if it saves us buying a Blu Ray player...

Does the Wii play Blu Ray and have HDMI?

What about games? The last time I looked at Nintendo stuff (maybe 15 yrs ago) they had just bought out hand held consoles that you could play Mario and cartoon sh!t like that on. If I'm going to buy one, I'd rather get something that will be good for Euan and maybe keep me amused from time to time. Do you get 'proper' games on Nintendo?
Old 27-11-11, 09:43 PM   #7
SIII
Mega Poster

The best 'proper games are on Xbox and PS3, wii/nintendo games are a bit chidish!
If you fancy a really good (bike or car) racer or shooter game the wii is definitely not the system to go for.
Old 27-11-11, 09:45 PM   #8
Amplimator

My missus uses EA active 2 on the PS3. It comes with 2 sensors, one which straps to your upper left arm and one which straps to your upper right leg to sense movements. The arm one also monitors your heart rate and a stretchy thing to aid in some of the exercises. The game has a pretty darn good exercise management system and plenty of extras are available to download. It gets the missus sweaty which in turn gets me sweaty...win win!

Also PS3 is just as much a multi-media tool as a games machine being bluray and 3D compatible, online TV etc etc. Plus...its better looking than the xbox so doesnt look too ghey in your front room.

Last edited by Amplimator; 27-11-11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 09:55 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Yep, I bought EA active for the Wii, for £12 incl HR monitor.

Problem with all Wii games is the controllers aren't that sensitive, and can make game play bloody frustrating.

If XBox has a blu ray option I'd go for that and I'm thinking about buying an X Box.

Wii screen definition isn't as good as X Box or PS3, looks a bit naff and there isn't an HDMi output from the Wii

Perhaps Wii version 2 which must be imminent will have on-board blu ray & HD drive & HDMi output
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-11, 10:22 PM   #10
pookie

xbox 360 runs on dvd dual layer format they also had the now defunct hd dvd external drive. PS3 is blu ray with 3d capability.

Wii fit is great as it monitors weight and balance. Great for yoga and posture. I never lost any weight using wii fit and not sure I know any one who has or willing to own up even using it.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote