SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-05, 07:34 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default I took the K5 for a test ride and...

Bought one before I went home. Took out the K5 and also the other suggestion from this group, Kawasaki Z750 for an hour each. I loved the SV, thought far less of the Kwak. I did find I was using all the power the SV had to give, and maybe I'll be wanting more after a while, but I just loved everything about it - the torque, the engine braking, the balance.. etc etc. Roll on next Saturday morning
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-05, 08:10 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Nice one

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-05, 09:56 PM   #3
bobbydee

Quote:
I did find I was using all the power the SV had to give, and maybe I'll be wanting more after a while,
Yep this is true, first time i bought an naked SV, i nearly pooed my pants as i rolled it off the pavement onto Seven Sisters Road. Mind you I only passed my test the week prior. Now, after trading that in for a Fazer6 I couldnt wait for the grunt of the twin again. So that had to go and now onto a SV K3 (bout a year now) and just love it. But trust me you will want more as most of us do, but if your honest with yourself the SV does it all......
Old 20-03-05, 09:02 AM   #4
frednuff

why don't you ride the SV1000?
Old 20-03-05, 12:43 PM   #5
Dirty Baz

tiger, the Z750 didn't impress????? why not? I've earmarked the Zed as my next bike so would love your opinion on it...

as for the SV buy..................... good choice!
Old 20-03-05, 12:46 PM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednuff
why don't you ride the SV1000?
I would have done if they had one avaialable. Actually it was hard to stick with the two bikes I had originally asked for, when there was the entire Ducati range, GSX R1, Fireblade etc all there for the asking on free demo. Talk about kids in a sweet shop - it was a busy day at our motorcycle shop
Old 20-03-05, 01:51 PM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
tiger, the Z750 didn't impress????? why not? I've earmarked the Zed as my next bike so would love your opinion on it...
I rode it straight after the SV, so immediately I was working with a different engine, all that low down grunt was missing. The mirrors were useless, no matter what I set them to all I really saw was my arms. (Same for the Ducati). I found there to be too much vibration once I got it above 100mph, and much more wind exposure than the SV650S. (However I was grateful to be sitting up straighter after my hour on the SV). It certainly was willing once you got the engine on the boil, but thats not really what I was looking for. Maybe the suspension setup was not quite right for me either, on one occasion I tried to flick past a car at high speed and it just didn't do as I expected. There appears to be no front fork adjustment at all. The analogue speedo is hard to read too, not enough contrast and small numerals. (A neat trick though is when you first turn on the ignition - the dials both do a self test and and turn forwards and back again). Bearing in mind this bike costs a full £1k more than the SV650S, I dismissed it from my shopping list very quickly.
Old 20-03-05, 02:25 PM   #8
650newb

Default Re: I took the K5 for a test ride and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Bought one before I went home.
as seen as no one else has asked yet, what color did you get?
Old 20-03-05, 02:48 PM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: I took the K5 for a test ride and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Bought one before I went home.
as seen as no one else has asked yet, what color did you get?

Blue. They had all 3 colours in stock, I thought the Red was not a very nice shade, looked pinkish in the sunlight. Black with black wheels and black frame - too black.

Old 01-07-05, 12:14 PM   #10
SVeeedy Gonzales

Kind of glad to read this as I've been semi-thinking of getting a z750 as the next bike instead of another SV... what if both the z750 and SV650 were available for the same money? George White in London has 2004 pre-reg models of each for just under £4k... would that have swayed you or would you still have gone for the SV? I really like that instant grunt (and I only ever had a restricted 33bhp SV) and would never want to give that up for more top end power, plus I thought the handling, etc. on the SV was fine so not after anything more in that area.