SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 06:34 PM   #1
guytimes

Default Fork Caps

Just got a 05 SV650S and after 2 days of riding, my wrists are killing me. Rode around with a chick on my back yesterday for an hour and today I'm not sure I'm going to be able to ride.

Somebody help me before I sell this thing! I wanted the FZ6 because of the more upright riding position but went with the suzu because it's more popular and I found a good deal on one.

It has clip ons... so I have been scouring this site and seems like the easiest way to fix would be to lower the back end a bit, and use fork caps and get the clip ons up higher.

Any other suggestions that don't cost too much and not TOO complicated? Where do I get fork caps and longer dog bones for this thing?

Thanks
Tom

Old 04-07-07, 06:39 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fork Caps

I've got a few that dont involve spending cash...

1. Adjust the brake and clutch levers so that you can draw an imaginary straight line through your elbow and wrist to the end of your finger tips.

2. Grip the tank with your knees more, it takes weight off your wrists.

3. Try and stay relaxed when you're riding.

4. Ride more, you will get used to it after a few days.

Failing that, If you drop the rear end you'll need to drop the front to otherwise you'll mess the handling up IMHO so thats not going to get you anywhere.

Your local Suzuki dealer should be able to sort you out with some longer dogbones if you're going to go down that route.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 06:43 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

I had the same problem as you when i first rode the SV, but after a few weeks of riding you loosen up and become more relaxed with the bike. Don't go spending money yet, give it a month or so and then report back. I'm sure you'll become one with the bike before long!!!!
Old 04-07-07, 07:01 PM   #4
FishyMug

I had exactly the same problem, stick with it for a while and it will get better as you get used to the bike
Old 04-07-07, 08:31 PM   #5
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I've got a few that dont involve spending cash...

1. Adjust the brake and clutch levers so that you can draw an imaginary straight line through your elbow and wrist to the end of your finger tips.

2. Grip the tank with your knees more, it takes weight off your wrists.

3. Try and stay relaxed when you're riding.

4. Ride more, you will get used to it after a few days.

Failing that, If you drop the rear end you'll need to drop the front to otherwise you'll mess the handling up IMHO so thats not going to get you anywhere.

Your local Suzuki dealer should be able to sort you out with some longer dogbones if you're going to go down that route.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum
Yes as fizzwheel said try first to alter your riding before changing the geometry of the bike. Point three is the best one because you mentioned you had a chick on the back. I find it very hard to stay relaxed with a pillion never mind a chick climbing on me
Old 04-07-07, 08:59 PM   #6
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
This has to be numero uno to try. The levers on my naked SV are lower than those in your picture. And I'm not tall. I found the levers on my bicycle were causing my wrists to hurt too. As Fizz suggests, I've adjusted them so they're in line with my arms and it makes one helluva difference.
Old 04-07-07, 11:27 PM   #7
ejohnh

I've had a naked curvy since september and I still got that problem. One of the jobs I have to do is to get some renthal bars to enable a more upright stance. I get most gip in my right wrist though.
Old 05-07-07, 02:19 PM   #8
guytimes

Thanks for all your help. I took your advice and I did some riding yesterday. I tried to relax more and hold myself up by by legs. Then my right leg was cramping. Turning down the levers helped a bit too.

What if... I lowered the front end just enough to put the clamp ons on TOP of the forks? I think an inch would make a big improvement.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-07-07, 02:26 PM   #9
Gnome

Dropping the yokes through the forks that much just to put the risers on top of the top yoke (or triple tree), will dramatically change the steering geometry, making turning in to corners very quick, and making higher speed riding unstable.

You can buy aftermarket clip-on "riser" kits.
Old 05-07-07, 02:33 PM   #10
guytimes

Really? It would only be an inch.

What kind of after market risers are you referring to?