SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-18, 05:59 AM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Rust in brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Word of warning.Fitting none standard brake lines without certification e.g steel braided outers are considered an,"Upgrade" and anyone considering this should contact their Insurance company before fitting them to make sure they are covered under their,"Terms and Conditions" otherwise it can invalidate the Insurance.

This may seem petty but it's not.In the event of an accident and an Insurance assessor can find anything to save the Company money,they will.It's part of their job.

Worse case scenario a 3rd part is injured.All hospital bills that may have been covered under a valid insurance are not paid and could lead to financial ruin for the holder of the policy.

I'm not,"Scaremongering" just laying out what has happened to some.

If in doubt,check with the insurance company.A few extra quid now can save a lot of grief later
It's declarable, but it's classed as a non performance item/ replacement part. It shouldn't actually affect the premium

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 07:07 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsen Cooper View Post
A friend of mine had an accident on his gsx and the whole front end was damaged. They didn’t pay out as he had an aftermarket exhaust fitted, therefore it was an undisclosed modification so he got the whole bill!! I was not aware of mods like brake hoses coming under this as whilst exhaust may affect performance (increase in horsepower etc) brake line do not... made me think about making a phone call to check unless anyone else on here has done that already?
As I said Tamsen it's specific to the Insurer and Policy what they class as allowable mods.If you want to be certain it's best not to second-guess Insurers for the sake of a phone call IMHO.

Sort of on the topic of insurers.Last year I fitted a,"Slip-on" exhaust but also wanted to up my usable mileage so rang Bennets whom I was with to check and the exhaust was fine but I had to pay another £30 for the extra miles and of course their £35 Admin fee so my total insurance had now cost me £175 from the original £110.I was earning good last year so didn't mind.

This year's renewal from Bennets including the 1 year ,"No-Claims" I now had(I used to have Classic Bike insurance so had no no claims bonuses to use) came in @ £286!!!!!!!!!!

Same bike and conditions.

Sod that.Shopped around and got what I wanted all things declared from MCE for around £160.

Point being Insurance can be complicated hence my warning.Now I'm not telling anyone to do as I do but just giving fair information so they can be armed with info and decide for themselves.

Here's how I look at it.

With the work I've done on my SV and it's condition I value it to replace at around £2000 and if the worst should happen and it had to be scrapped because of an accident/theft etc not to mention any 3rd Party liabilities.

I'm not risking that 2 grand for the sake of an Extra £50 whatever and the cost of a phone call etc.

HTH
Old 11-05-18, 05:10 PM   #13
netsurfer

Quote:
I have done a couple of videos on brakes, my channel is in my signature if that helps.
Hi Tamsen!

Your channel needs no introduction Think I must've watched all if not 99% of your videos by now

Quote:
Fork rebuilds are getting closer to the top of my list... I have seen a rebuild kit (seals, dust cover, new bushes etc) online for £40 + 2 bottles of fork oil for £15 so £55 total.
That's good to know. I was worried about rebuilding them but after watching a video that Delboy did i'm pretty confident I could do it - looks easy Just hope that the surface rust on them is above the seals!

I've had a look at those HEL lines and think i'll get a full set of those, once I get the engine running and know there's no other problems lurking around the corner.

Cheers
Pete
netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 07:06 PM   #14
Tamsen Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Hi Tamsen!

Your channel needs no introduction Think I must've watched all if not 99% of your videos by now

That's good to know. I was worried about rebuilding them but after watching a video that Delboy did i'm pretty confident I could do it - looks easy Just hope that the surface rust on them is above the seals!

I've had a look at those HEL lines and think i'll get a full set of those, once I get the engine running and know there's no other problems lurking around the corner.

Cheers
Pete
Wow! your lovely comment has made my whole night!

I am doing a fork rebuild video soon, my seals are slightly leaking so I figured it would make a great video!

The HEL lines are good, but I will compare them to the ones Venhill gave me to film, I have to say I am impressed with the quality of them. I went for blue so they would match the colour of the bike! Next Friday there is a video about revamping the petrol cap so it might be the week after that.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 11:03 PM   #15
netsurfer

Great!

Will wait to see the brake line review before deciding which to go for.

Tonight I got the carbs back on but when I retrieved the tank from the shed I discovered it it very rusty inside 😭

Ironically, in your video tonight you mention about keeping the tank full if storing for a long time 😖

Going to go out to the motor factors tomorrow to see if I can get some sort of treatment to help with rust removal.

I think until I get the engine going I will put a hold on buying anything, in case there are any more hidden surprises!

Last edited by netsurfer; 11-05-18 at 11:05 PM.
netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote