SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-05, 02:33 AM   #1
SteveNZ

Default Renegade airkit - Crankcase breather hoses.

I've just decided to stick the Renegade airkit back onto my K3 and see if I can come up with a better way of sorting out the 2 crankcase breather hoses. As it stands they either drip filth onto the ground or onto the framework, or they result in a constant smell of petrol while the engine is running and the bike is stationary.

Has anyone come up with any clever way of sorting these out? I'm tempted to see if I can make up some sort of semi-sealed container with a breather valve so that air can get out, but not in (stop moisture entering the crankcase) and pack it full of dacron or somesuch to soak up and oil residue that gets out. Does this sound reasonable? Anyone got any better ideas?
Old 10-09-05, 12:18 PM   #2
empty

With regards to the crank case breather pipes, I've replaced the spring clips with jubilee clips, when done up correctly no leaks. Frame can get in the way a bit on a curvy, plus means having to remove LHS fairing when removing airbox which is a pain.

Smell of petrol sounds odd, it's oil vapour in them that leaks out making a mess everywhere. From the look of the airbox, the breathers go up into a container with a strainer in it, the airflow goes into the airbox - would removing this result in problems (cue minds better than mine here....)? I'd check the fuel lines and carbs for any fuel leaks first.

MT
Old 10-09-05, 01:44 PM   #3
SteveNZ

As far as I know, the breather hoses are to let the crankcase expel excessive pressure from "blow-by" (or somesuch) of any gasses that manage to get past the piston rings, the hoses are definately where the petrol smell is coming from, if I hook them back up to the original airbox, it goes away.

The original airbox is semi-sealed and just has some sort of mesh material over the top of where the hoses fit with a chamber to stop any fluids getting into the intake area, unburnt gasses then presumably get sucked back into the throttle bodies to have another go at being burnt.

With the renegade airkit, the breather hoses just go to open-air, with a not insignificant amount of air pressure coming out of them.

I'm no mechanic, so I might have completely the wrong idea.
Old 10-09-05, 04:44 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Do a search (tuning + ...section) on www.svrider.com

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 05:46 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNZ
As far as I know, the breather hoses .......I'm no mechanic, so I might have completely the wrong idea.
That's about the size of it!

The amount of blowby varies with speed and load and exactly how the ring-pack was developed, but it'll be somewhere in the region of 10 lts/min as a ballpark figure. However with a V-twin there is a very large pulse effect due to the pistons' motion and the breather hoses will see big flow reversals every revolution.

Without a properly functioning separator you'll probably see a much higher oil consumption (loss through the breather).

The blowby is in essence exhaust gas but with some oil mist and fuel vapour thrown in for good measure, which is what you can smell. Legally the breather gas must be "consumed" (as manufactured), and in the UK I suspect it could be a Construction&Use infringement strictly speaking to have an open breather on a machine which didn't have it originally (going back a long time for that!), and I would guess a potential MOT failure if it was picked up by the Tester. You may have similar regs in NZ.

Whatever the legal issues, it's not really recommended to run with an open breather for road use anyway.

I don't know what the induction kit you're referring to looks like, but some way of incorporating the separator arrangement from the standard airbox might be advisable.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 08:26 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

The collector/seperator on the carbed models is seperate from the airbox- you could get one of those and then run your single exit tube elsewhere, I'd have it go down to immediately above the front sprocket to act as a chain oiler Should cut your oil losses and gets rid of the oil in a sensible way. Carbed airboxes tend to cost about a fiver on Ebay
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 09:40 PM   #7
SteveNZ

I was going to see if I can find a suitable T-junction hose connector and join both hoses and run another off to where the front sprocket is, see if there's something convenient to cable-tie the hose to or something.

Just in case people aren't sure what I'm talking about, this is the Renegade airkit:

http://www.renegade-products.com/ren...tml?1058285365

aka - replacing the entire airbox with 2 pod filters.

http://www.renegade-products.com/ren...tml?1068110643

Renegade themselves actually suggest exactly this thing, use the outlet as a glorified scottoiler. I'm still gonna have a think and try and see if I can come up with some way of keeping the whole system out-flow only in a safe manner.[/url]
Old 10-09-05, 09:43 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I was thinking of using the carbed collector since it should reduce the amount being ejected...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 09:53 PM   #9
SteveNZ

I'll see if I can find some pictures to see what the collector looks like/does, see if I can adapt it to my needs. Thanks for the idea.