SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-06, 10:43 AM   #1
ejohnh

Default Special air pumps for Bikes? k2 curvy BS

Went to out air in the front tyre today. Couldn't get the airpump nozzle to the valve because of the discs - what to do?

John
Old 14-12-06, 10:44 AM   #2
thor

Take the discs off
Old 14-12-06, 10:51 AM   #3
carlos

The pumps at petrol stations are awkward but it can be done. You've just got to get your valve at the bottom of the wheel and approach at an angle from the front.

Otherwise, just get a decent footpump with the flexible hose.

Oh, and a decent pressure guage because those petrol stations are notoriously inaccurate.
Old 14-12-06, 11:02 AM   #4
valleyboy

You can also get those valve addapters that instead of point in towards the centre of the wheel, point outwards, so its far easier to get the hose onto them...
Old 14-12-06, 11:59 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Take a real deep breath, and...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-06, 12:09 PM   #6
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
Otherwise, just get a decent footpump with the flexible hose.

Oh, and a decent pressure guage because those petrol stations are notoriously inaccurate.

A foot pump and good gauge ain't a lot of sovs. I've become a bit anal about tyre pressures and do mine before riding if I haven't checked them within the past week. I've got three bikes on the road, so depending on mood, needs, weather, etc., I can go several weeks without riding one or other of them.
Old 14-12-06, 02:01 PM   #7
Kylie

Yep, go down to you local car parts place and get a footpump. I used to have an Argos one but that bust recently, now got a nice Michelin one from Halfords that does the job. You only need the single cylinder version, around 10 pumps will take you from 32 to 38psi on mine.
Old 14-12-06, 02:04 PM   #8
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
You only need the single cylinder version
A double barrel is better simply because it is wider and therefore more stable - it also pumps quicker....
Old 14-12-06, 02:08 PM   #9
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
You only need the single cylinder version
A double barrel is better simply because it is wider and therefore more stable - it also pumps quicker....
Do not rely on the gauge on footpumps; they are often/usually/always wildly inaccurate. Buy a separate one.
Old 14-12-06, 02:15 PM   #10
Kylie

Quote:
A double barrel is better simply because it is wider and therefore more stable - it also pumps quicker.
I've got one of these:

and its stable and quick enough for bike and car tyres. But each to their own!

Quote:
Do not rely on the gauge on footpumps; they are often/usually/always wildly inaccurate
The old argos one had a woeful gauge, but the one on the pump above compares pretty well to the number I get from my pen gauge thing. To be fair I don't worry too much about manufacturer's recommendeations, you get a feeling for whether a tyre feels right or not, so I only need the gauge to be consistent, not super accurate.