SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-06, 08:26 PM   #1
alex.j

Default Filthy Bike

Hi,

This is my first post as I've not had my sv650 long. I bought a yellow curvy sv650s as my first bike and as a commuter to go up and down the a19 to work. I've ridden through the winter fairly successfully but have been unable to get my bike really clean. From the photos that I've seen on this website it looks like people dont even get their bikes wet or I just cant clean mine properly!

Also, how I seem to have the equivalent of rust on the front forks and was wondering what i can do about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can expect a fair few posts from me in the future as I don't know a great deal about bikes and also don't know anyone who has one so I thought you kind souls would be able to help me out!

Thanks in advance,

Al
Old 06-02-06, 08:32 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

See this , re the forks if your talking about a mk1 (curvy) Sv

http://www.sv650.org/sv_restorer.htm

John
Old 06-02-06, 08:32 PM   #3
Peter Henry

You may think I took the not wishing to get my bike wet a tadge too far? But hey ho here we are in sunny Spain!

My advice instead of trying to bring the whole bike back to showroom look in one go,simply concentrate on one particular feature at a time. Then you will soon have her back to her gleaming glory.
Old 06-02-06, 08:34 PM   #4
philipMac

I think a lot of the lads here just clean their bike every week, sort of keeping the dirt level down in the first place. And, the weekly cleaning is in part an inspection of the bike, where you pick up any problems that are in the offing. (Like cracked rotors and the like )

A lot of the guys simpley spend a large amount of time on cleaning the bike... and I think this is the secret. (I suppose its like anything.. you get quicker the more you do it?) (And each week concentrate on an area or something... )
Old 06-02-06, 08:38 PM   #5
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
See this , re the forks if your talking about a mk1 (curvy) Sv

http://www.sv650.org/sv_restorer.htm

John

Hi, thanks for this link. These are exactly the problems that I have on my bike!

Very much appreciated.

Al
Old 06-02-06, 08:40 PM   #6
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
I think a lot of the lads here just clean their bike every week, sort of keeping the dirt level down in the first place. And, the weekly cleaning is in part an inspection of the bike, where you pick up any problems that are in the offing. (Like cracked rotors and the like )

A lot of the guys simpley spend a large amount of time on cleaning the bike... and I think this is the secret. (I suppose its like anything.. you get quicker the more you do it?) (And each week concentrate on an area or something... )
Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. I don't have a garage to keep it in at the minute and I dont have much space for cleaning products. I'm moving soon though so hopefully I'll be able to sort myself out!

Thanks
Old 06-02-06, 08:56 PM   #7
Diveboy

Hello mate. I'll have to keep an eye out for you. I live in Whitley and travel down the A19 to work. Look out for a Yellow SV650s (two yellow SV's in Whitley ohhh suits you)

As for keeping it clean its impossible just give it a rub down once a week and oil the chain. If you get any major problem give me a shout then we can both point at it and scratch our heads
Old 06-02-06, 09:04 PM   #8
Banus

Hi,
Good luck with your new bike.
I suppose you know you've sold your soul to a life in the garage now ?
I had a week in France at Le Mans last year. It rained nearly every day and we did 1300 miles in rain !
Took a full 8 hrs of toil and a lot of cups of tea went cold in the process - to get it back to its showroom condition - but at least I had one of those nice warm feelings at the end !
Old 06-02-06, 11:08 PM   #9
rob13

Keep a look out for me guys in the next couple of months as ill be travelling up the a19 on my sv to work in Sunderland.
Old 06-02-06, 11:14 PM   #10
Diveboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester
Keep a look out for me guys in the next couple of months as ill be travelling up the a19 on my sv to work in Sunderland.
I leave the A19 next to the Nissan factory. How far up do you come?