SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-09, 08:08 AM   #1
thedonal

Default Datatool alarm removal

Good morning!

Easy question- does anyone in or near the Surbiton area have the skills to remove a Datatool alarm?

Mine is well dicey- it decided to stop working after I filled up with petrol last night. I thought that maybe water had got in somewhere, as I'd done a nasty ride from Christchurch to Portsmouth on the M27.

After an hour or so of fiddling with the breakdown mechanic (he was quite impressed on how 'hands on' I am- he says no-one's ever like that!), it seemed that something is loose in the box.

The case for the alarm is fairly battered- partly due to the efforts in getting it apart to remove the battery when I had to sync a new disclock to it and also it seems to have taken a bash from the disclock that sits loose under the back seat.

Frankly, the alarm's more trouble than it's worth, so it's got to go...!
Old 12-07-09, 09:12 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Datatool alarm removal

Yes, you have.

The alarm is fitted very simply,the connections simply need to be traced and removed from where they have been spliced into the bike's wiring. Most modern alarms also incorporate an immobiliser, the wiring for that is simple too, there will likely be two immobilising circuits, one that inhibits the starter system so it won't turn over and one that inhibits the ignition system so it won't run. In each case you will find a pair of wires from the alarm unit that have been inserted into a cut wire - the alarm has switches internally that now control whether these wires are continuous or not.

Alarm removal:

1) Find the alarm wires connected to the wiring loom, remove those which are simply spliced in.

2) Immobiliser wiring; you do not need to concern yourself with a wiring diagram or think about colours, simply find where the wires from the alarm unit enter the bike's loom, you will see that a given wire in the loom has been cut and each end connected to a black wire from the alarm, reconnect the original wires.

3) Make sure everything is suitably insulated and correctly reassembled.

4) Be pleased at how clever you are.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 09:48 AM   #3
thedonal

Cheers Squid- I may take the back end apart tomorrow and have a gander.

The ignition immobiliser circuit- is it going to be down as far as the ignition key, or somewhere nearer the alarm itself?

The only obvious wiring I can see for the immobiliser is under the battery cover/fusebox connectors- there's a section of stripped wire and a loose wire (clearly a badly bodged 'pro' fitting job) that I just leave wrapped around it- never got round to resoldering it.
Old 12-07-09, 10:21 AM   #4
stewart-250

As Sid says it's easy to remove yourself. I removed the immobiliser from our SV and the ignition connections were close to the fuse box, alarm installers are lazy like the rest of us and unlikely to strip a bike down any more than they have to to fit a unit.
It really is very easy once you remove all the tape from the alarm wiring harness and see where all the wires are going. After all all you are doing is returning your wiring harness to the way it is shown in the manual.

cheers

Stewart
Old 12-07-09, 11:37 AM   #5
speedplay

I've just removed the system 3 from my daytona.
Its simple enough.
If you have any problems pm me and I'll email you some pictures of what was done.

I dont think we should give too many pointers on an open forum though as all it will do is help muppets nick bikes..
Old 12-07-09, 04:26 PM   #6
thedonal

Cheers guys- and fair point about posting too much info!
Old 13-07-09, 07:38 AM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Don't be paranoid, no-one is going to use this info to steal a bike as it would take far, far too long at the crime scene to do this. A thief certainly might rip the alarm out to stop it squealing - but he's going to do that with a hammer and without worrying about the wiring details, and similarly isn't going to fuss over the niceties of what we're scribbling here.

Stewart is right, you'll almost certainly find all of the wiring connected into the loom at the rear of the bike, I'm not sure this is fairly described as 'lazy', simply all of the circuits required are in that area - a supply, connections to the indicators, for the immobiliser both the starter solenoid itself and the supply to the ignition system, they're all under the rear bodywork.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-09, 06:34 PM   #8
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Don't be paranoid, no-one is going to use this info to steal a bike as it would take far, far too long at the crime scene to do this. A thief certainly might rip the alarm out to stop it squealing - but he's going to do that with a hammer and without worrying about the wiring details, and similarly isn't going to fuss over the niceties of what we're scribbling here.
I didnt mean so much as steal it, more of a case of after they have unloaded someone elses bike from their van and at their leisure in a garage somewhere.
My datatool system 3 took less than 15 minutes to take out once I had the relevant information.
Old 13-07-09, 09:14 PM   #9
Lozzo

Take my advice... fit a used wiring loom instead of farting around trying to work out where the Datatool wiring goes in and out of the original loom. If you think you're up to removing a Datatool, then replacing the complete loom will be a doddle and take a fraction of the time.

I replaced the one on my K3 naked in an hour and a half at a cost of 35 quid for a loom from a breaker on ebay, where I reckon it would have taken me many many hours trying to suss how the alarm had been connected and rectifying it to a satisfactory standard. The best 35 quid I ever spent that was
Old 13-07-09, 09:23 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart-250 View Post
Alarm installers are lazy like the rest of us and unlikely to strip a bike down any more than they have to to fit a unit.
I think you'd better tell the guy who fitted the Datatool to my old K3 naked this, he may reward you with a clack round the chops. Never have I seen an alarm so inconspicuously and professionally fitted - every single connnection was made quite a way from where the original cable had been cut, and sometimes nowhere near where you'd expect it to be. When he reloomed all the old and new cables together you couldn't tell where Suzuki's efforts stopped and his started. It was a nightmare, and I'm certainly not one to shy away from electrical work - I spent 4 years of my working life managing a busy car alarm fitting workshop.

I worked out that nearly 2 metres of original wiring loom had been removed and replaced with alarm cables that were plain black. To remove the alarm and remake all the connections was just too much bother, so I simply got a replacement loom and fitted it from front to back, bit by bit removing the old one then fitting the new one as I worked my way up the frame from the headlight to the tail light