SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-10, 07:36 PM   #1
bengodden

Smile Restricting Curvy to 33bhp

Hi,

if you are like me and bought a curvy sv650 and have to restrict it then hopefully this will help.

I had no idea how to restrict my sv650s and looked for ages and couldnt really find an answer.

finally I decided to just have a go and it worked!

the restrictor kit comes in the form of two washers (ebay, £20), which you have to place in the rubbers between the carb and the engine.

To do this you must remove the front seat then undo the two allen bolts on the front of the tank (Handlebar end). I found it easier to undo the two bolts at the rear of the tank as well and remove the tank completely, remembering what pipes go where!

Then remove the airbox, mine is just a push fit onto the carbs basically.
once this is lifted off, you can see the two carbs. I personally just undid the jubilee clip things on each at the bit between the carb and engine (bit fiddly on the front carb) and popped them of.
If you take your time and are lucky you can fit the washers without removing the carbs from the bike.
you then place the washers in the rubber seal between the carb and the engine, not the seal and engine. there is a little lip that it pops right into. this is again easier on the rear cylinder than the front. with this done, you just reassemble the bike as you dismantled it.
Thats the way i did it and it literally took 45 mins and saves you a bunch of cash. obviously u still need to get the certificate, so just dyno run it.

Hope this helps,

Ben
Old 18-10-10, 07:57 PM   #2
Scythe92

Default Re: Restricting Curvy to 33bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengodden View Post
obviously u still need to get the certificate, so just dyno run it.

Hope this helps,

Ben
Nice guide, but you do not need the certificate!
Old 19-10-10, 03:07 PM   #3
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
Nice guide, but you do not need the certificate!
I was always under the impression that you do, i cant recall all that well; but i seem to remember producing that for someone (insurance maybe...) but it was a while ago.

I think also the police can ask you to produce it if they pull you......
Old 19-10-10, 03:10 PM   #4
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Feet View Post
I was always under the impression that you do, i cant recall all that well; but i seem to remember producing that for someone (insurance maybe...) but it was a while ago.

I think also the police can ask you to produce it if they pull you......
there is no law saying you need one.
Old 19-10-10, 03:59 PM   #5
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
there is no law saying you need one.
I have actually just discovered the post from Flameboy about all his problems!! i am still in utter shock with what i have just read!

but that also seems to be the consensus on the matter. I know i defiantly had a certificate from the garage that fitted the restriction for me.
Old 19-10-10, 04:06 PM   #6
benji106

Some fitters supply a certificate and some insurance companys may ask for a certificate but there is no legal requirement to have a certificate.
Old 19-10-10, 04:34 PM   #7
barwel1992

^ exactly what i was going to say
Old 19-10-10, 05:40 PM   #8
Milky Bar Kid

As I have repeatedly stated, there is NO legal requirement for a certificate. I checked, double checked and triple checked the legislation at work and spoke with my Traffic Dept.
Old 19-10-10, 06:10 PM   #9
bengodden

I dont think there is a legal requirement for a certificate, but if you get tugged and dont have one, your bike can be seized and dyno'd and/or stripped, so common sense just says get a certificate to save the agro!
Old 19-10-10, 06:30 PM   #10
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengodden View Post
I dont think there is a legal requirement for a certificate, but if you get tugged and dont have one, your bike can be seized and dyno'd and/or stripped, so common sense just says get a certificate to save the agro!
It doesn't happen frequently! And there would have to be reasonable cause to suspect you didn't have it restricted.