SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 31-12-13, 04:50 PM   #2091
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Photo a day 2013

I'm cheating for my last one of the year as I took it the other day, but forgot because it was on my phone. Looks like the doorway to an enchanted house.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-13, 07:07 PM   #2092
maviczap
Mega Poster

Right as the author of this thread I was struggling to think of a way to sign it off. I've not been well the last couple of days and the light has been crap to do anything outside.

So a few things to say.

YAY WE DONE IT

Thanks to Brettus for sowing the seed in my mind to start this thread

Thanks to everyone who contributed, didn't matter what or how good it was just the contribution was enough, I've only had to rescue it a few times.

For me it has been a welcome distraction in an annus horriblus, just making sure something ha been posted has helped me personally.

As my Mum & Dad were both professional photographers I do have a good idea of what constitutes a good photo, there's been some absolute stunners.

So all that remains I think is my final photo of 2013

maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-13, 07:10 PM   #2093
Brettus

For some reason I can only attribute to stupidity I didn't realise today was the last day of this thread. (It might have something to do with the ego swelling compliments posted earlier today )

Late notice but I managed to do something that I'd been wanting to do again.

Farewell 2013 by iBrettnet, on Flickr

I'm still rubbish at writing backwards (it took 18 goes to get one I was happy with)

Thanks Maviczap for keeping the thread going and looking forward to what you have in store for next year
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-13, 09:11 PM   #2094
GowerSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Actually got out with the camera, but hardly anything to take pictures of...
Ah yes, the photographer's equivalent of the writer's blank page. When I taught photography in schools a few years back, I would often send them out with a brief to enable subjects to be found almost everywhere. Rather than, 'there was nothing much of interest out today', 'the interest is in your eye', I would tell them. There are a million photographs all around us at all times - finding them is the challenge -
mister c's lovely shot of water movement around the rocks ( camera braced on wall or maybe just a slowish hand held shutter speed perhaps?) is a case in point. 'Movement' as a theme will often get students' shutters clicking in all sorts of creative ways ( moving pedestrians all blurry against a sharp background can be soooo rewarding

Low light, still-life, reflections, faces, texture, selective focus (eg: line of railings at wide aperture) low viewpoint etc are just some examples of 'enthusiasm starters'

The picture you are hoping for may not be there for everyone to see - but your photographic intuition can guide you to finding a great shot when others see an ordinary one. Imagine you have one of the world's greatest photographers along side you - he will be looking at exactly the same scene as you - it's what is in your mind that differs. Having a camera that focuses well is useful - having a mind that focuses better is probably more useful.

In the 60's my father was commissioned to photograph a London bus. He stood in Piccadilly Circus and all he could see were buses against a familiar background - he needed something different. Then suddenly as he turned away he saw a highly reflective glass building. He positioned the tripod and waited - the resulting image of a Routemaster reflected in modern architecture accompanied by traditional Eros was used on hoardings across the Capital.

Next time you stand in front of a lovely scene, just reflect on the number of ways, viewpoints etc in which it can be depicted - it can be quite a few!

Sometimes the photograph is within rather than without. Close-ups indoors can be worthy subjects - recently these cotton wool buds interested me by their arrangement and Photoshop gave me a bit of fun with which to manipulate the raw image:

Last edited by GowerSV; 31-12-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 11:42 AM   #2095
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I've really enjoyed this thread too. A lot of the pics I've posted haven't been technically brilliant, and no post production, often taken on my phone or my G15 but the fun was just trying to remember to take a pic each day. It shows what a variety of stuff we get up to. Mine has included everything from Maasai Warriors and monks to Andrew Strauss having wax squirted in his ears to atmospheric sunsets and fun times with my best mate Chris8886. I'm off to on another biking trip shortly do should be some good photos from that to come.
Old 01-01-14, 04:18 PM   #2096
maviczap
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=206434
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-14, 09:03 PM   #2097
Teejayexc

You're a year too late
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-14, 09:48 PM   #2098
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

moved

Last edited by Richie; 20-01-14 at 11:51 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote