SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-15, 07:51 PM   #1
leebex

Default scratched pointy forks, is there an easy repair?

My wifes `05 sv650 was leaking fork oil from the seal on 1 leg only. I decided to change both sides while Im doing the job.

All appears to be ok, refit new seals, measure the correct height of oil etc, yet get back from a 5 mile test ride and its leaking the same amount of oil from the same leg.

There do seem to be lots of vertical scratches on that leg after closer inspection, but not deep, like a human hair I suppose.

Has anyone had any luck removing scratches with a very fine wet and dry paper and metal polish? any other methods or is it a job for the professionals?

Thanks, Lee
Old 13-04-15, 02:12 PM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: scratched pointy forks, is there an easy repair?

Hi Lee, to my knowledge sanding or polishing out scratches that are deep enough to allow oil past the seal wont work. The amount of material you would need to take off will reduce the diameter of the fork tube.

Some one I know repaired a similar problem by filling the scratches with epoxy resin and then sanded that back, but I am not sure if it is such a good idea.

Your other option would be to have the stanchions ground down and re-chromed, which can be an expensive option. However if you go down this path, a coating of titanium nitride improves the looks and is well worth the investment because it is a finer surface for the seal to work on.

Good luck and hope that you get it sorted... There is always the Gixer fork upgrade though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 13-04-15 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 06:13 PM   #3
nutzboutbikes

New stanchion from Wemoto is a £112!, If you changed the seals your self a stanchion change should not be a problem.
Old 13-04-15, 08:28 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

It can be roughly redone with araldite, but it's more for big chips

Rechroming is more expensive than new stanchions. Go for the Italian ones on wemoto as I had no issues once they were bedded in

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 13-04-15 at 08:30 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 08:44 PM   #5
leebex

cheers for the replies, fork now pssing out oil so not sure if its seal, scratched or both. £112 doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting, and an easier get out than trying to remove scratches.
Old 13-04-15, 09:35 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

as a last attempt i would try 1200 wet'n'dry with some autosol. go round the tube not up and down. take the stanchion out to do it.

£112 each from wemoto.

£165 a pair for rechrome from Pitted Forks. you could also try Dynasurf as well. try doing a search on Google and phone around. BTW there are a lot of people offering the service but get it done by someone else.

Last edited by Bibio; 13-04-15 at 09:36 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-15, 09:08 PM   #7
wideguy

It seems a fair number of people replace their stock forks with USD forks from other Suzukis, what do they do with the stock forks? I'd look for a good used fork, or set.