SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-11-19, 10:31 PM   #841
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Note to self, running on an empty stomach is unwise. But then so is running on a full stomach

Only managed about 3 miles then walked home

I can't seem to find the right headwear for this time of year. Bald head is too cold, tammy head is too hot
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 12:09 AM   #842
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Note to self, running on an empty stomach is unwise. But then so is running on a full stomach

Only managed about 3 miles then walked home
Try a banana or an energy bar before you go, and take an energy bar with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I can't seem to find the right headwear for this time of year. Bald head is too cold, tammy head is too hot
A long neck buff worn on the head may work Darren, as you can pull up like a hat if it's cold and roll it down a bit to let some heat escape when you've warmed up.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 11:26 AM   #843
shiftin_gear98

I got out this morning, first run since Nuclear. It took a little while to get into it. Pity my Garmin made a noise to tell me it had 5% left. Just back before it died. 6.25 miles.
Old 10-11-19, 11:33 AM   #844
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

First run* for possibly a year today. Last time I left it for a while I got back into it surprisingly easily and was amazed how I'd retained some fitness. This time was a very different story. I don't run often even when I'm into it, but do a usual 5k with not too many problems. This time however... didn't even get that far and felt very sick! The cold air and breathing issues from working in the city centre again aren't helping. Feeling good now from having done it though. I love how it leaves you feeling for the rest of the day.

( * I say run.. I imagine it would be more realistically called jogging by most people, or even fast walking at times )
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 01:17 PM   #845
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I say run.. I imagine it would be more realistically called jogging by most people, or even fast walking at times
But you got out there and did it Adam, that's the main thing.

You're absolutely right about it leaving you feeling good for the rest of the day, something I think non runners don't really get.
Old 12-11-19, 09:52 PM   #846
shiftin_gear98

I got to interval training tonight at the running club. Alas I failed to press start! Annoying. 5x 4 min reps at 10k pace 1 min jog rest in between. Last two reps 5k speed for the last minute. Quite a workout.
Old 12-11-19, 09:59 PM   #847
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'm starting to think I should do something like this to to get me out more regularly. I'd quite like to get something set up with the canicross groups locally. Be good for me and Mabel.
Old 22-11-19, 11:51 AM   #848
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Aaargh! Finally, after a fortnight managed to get out for a run with Mabel on the trails around one of my local loops. Just under 4.5 miles of muddy slipperyness with a short stretch of necessary metalled back lane. More of a jog than a run with its attendant slow time(!) but feeling all the better for getting out.

Not as cold as I thought it was going to be. I felt a bit overdressed with a baselayer top, running T, and waterproof shell. The hat and neck buff were removed after a mile!

A few pictures from the run. Very autumnal!

Friday run
by garynortheast

Friday run
by garynortheast

Friday run
by garynortheast

The Relive bit!

Friday run
by garynortheast, on Flickr

The monthly Trust10K trail run is this Sunday at Chirk Castle so I'm going to go and run that. It's a glorious run through woods and parkland. There are always lots of other canicross runners there too, so a chance to catch up with folks I know and run with now and then.

Last edited by garynortheast; 23-11-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 23-11-19, 05:31 PM   #849
shiftin_gear98

Gary your pics look nice. Glad you got out, the constant cold, drizzle and general darkness is making it harder to just get out the door. Getting home of an evening cold and wet from my commute doesn't really make me want to get out a do it all again for a run.
Got out today for my second ever interval session. Which was hard. However as I'm an idiot I told my missus who was there with the boys, that I'd run home after. Moments after she drove off I realised my error. That was an even harder 5 miles, my right knee currently doesn't like me. Ah well you live and learn.
Old 23-11-19, 07:32 PM   #850
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Rest that knee! Well done though on the extra 5 miles after the interval training. It all ups the fitness levels!

The cold, dark, and dreary mornings and evenings stop me getting out so readily too. Once I'm out I'm OK. If I do a morning run the best way for me is to get running kit on as soon as I get out of bed, then, when the girls have left for college I can go straight out the door. Putting kit on when I get up is like making the commitment to go.

Just got all my kit ready for tomorrows Trust10K. Need to be in the car and away by 7.45am for registration and a 9am run start. The weather looks ok so far; cloudy but dry and about 8°C.