SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-02-18, 08:51 AM   #21
Seeker
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NE Lincs
Posts: 186
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

So, that's cleared up then

Shall we resolve oil or tyres next? Just kidding

I must admit, I looked at the sprocket made my opinion (which I'm keeping to myself) read other comments, thought "what?" and took another look and thought "well, ok, maybe", took another look and thought "nah".

Still, it keeps me occupied and stops me bothering other people (until I start thinking out aloud).
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 11:06 AM   #22
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 907
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
So, that's cleared up then

Shall we resolve oil or tyres next? Just kidding

I must admit, I looked at the sprocket made my opinion (which I'm keeping to myself) read other comments, thought "what?" and took another look and thought "well, ok, maybe", took another look and thought "nah".

Still, it keeps me occupied and stops me bothering other people (until I start thinking out aloud).
For what it's worth its staying on!

I've moved on to shall I flush the coolant and brake fluid now, both of which I think are more urgent

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 12:49 PM   #23
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 485
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Yeah, replacing brake fluid regularly can prevent corrosion in the system and pay dividends in the longer term. Modern coolants are good for a least 5 years (10 years in a car) - how old is the Daytona ?
__________________
SV650 AL7

Fear knocked on the door, Hope answered and when he opened the door there was nobody there.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 12:50 PM   #24
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 907
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Yeah, replacing brake fluid regularly can prevent corrosion in the system and pay dividends in the longer term. Modern coolants are good for a least 5 years (10 years in a car) - how old is the Daytona ?
2012

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 12:52 PM   #25
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 485
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Here is recent thread on coolant.. enjoy

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229185
__________________
SV650 AL7

Fear knocked on the door, Hope answered and when he opened the door there was nobody there.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 04:05 PM   #26
Bibio
Member
Mega Poster
 
Bibio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dreich Fife (its grey and miserable)
Posts: 10,515
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

i can only see a pic of a front sprocket and to me it looks like new so no need to change it.

there is a simple test on rear sprockets/chains. if you can insert a pencil between the chain and sprocket tooth then your chain and sprockets need changed as they are fubar.

visual inspection, if the teeth on a sprocket are 'hooked' then they need changed.

i have said it before but a scottoiler is the key to chain & sprocket life. if you have OCD then use 'dry lube' and put up with shorter chain & sprocket life.

cracking the throttle open to get your kicks also reduces the life of tyres, chain & sprockets.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 04:08 PM   #27
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 907
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i can only see a pic of a front sprocket and to me it looks like new so no need to change it.

there is a simple test on rear sprockets/chains. if you can insert a pencil between the chain and sprocket tooth then your chain and sprockets need changed as they are fubar.

visual inspection, if the teeth on a sprocket are 'hooked' then they need changed.

i have said it before but a scottoiler is the key to chain & sprocket life. if you have OCD then use 'dry lube' and put up with shorter chain & sprocket life.

cracking the throttle open to get your kicks also reduces the life of tyres, chain & sprockets.
I used a scottoiler on my sv but there is little to no room to fit one on a Daytona 675 without it looking ugly and let's face it it's half the reason I got a 675

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18, 05:21 PM   #28
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 907
Default Re: Is this sprocket too worn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Here is recent thread on coolant.. enjoy

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229185
Good lunchtime read that was, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curvy rear brake disc, sprocket and sprocket carrier Bunkle Stuff Wanted 2 05-04-14 10:08 AM
And the award for the most worn chain and sprocket goes to.. LewSpeight Bikes - Talk & Issues 20 25-04-13 10:32 PM
Kreiga R25 worn once SVRIDER07 For Sale - Other Bikes and General biking items 0 04-07-12 07:45 PM
Standard front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, how many more links in chain required? Holdup Bikes - Talk & Issues 6 27-02-12 12:40 PM
part worn 180/55/17 husky03 Stuff Wanted 0 02-02-11 09:11 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.