SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-16, 11:40 AM   #1
froymot

Default curvy electrical shenanigans

hey guys
my w reg (2000) curvy left me stranded at the side of the road last weekend after it started to splutter and cut out, bump starting wasn't very successful either.As this was happening the dash was repeatedly going through its start sequence and all dials dropping out.
when i tried to restart the bike at the side of the road the engine turns over very slowly. i guessed that a charging issue was to blame and that the battery was flat as a result, however when i got the bike home the battery reads 11.5 volts which dips to 4ish when cranking the engine. i have already fitted an upgraded reg rec to the system with a new gel battery about 6 months ago which was charging well and had daily use with no trouble.
any help would be great if anyone has a clue
regards Tom
Old 22-06-16, 12:25 PM   #2
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: curvy electrical shenanigans

11.5 volts is around 25% charged, it should be around 13 volts for a full battery. See here

I would get it charged first and then do some charging tests with the freshly charged battery.

should be charging at 14.5 volts @ 5k RPM, if its significantly less you have an issue. If it is more your reg/reg is broken.

Last edited by Corny Gizmo; 22-06-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 22-06-16, 10:12 PM   #3
froymot

Ive just replaced the main section of loom with one from the breakers and its the same story. Intermittent on the button and slow turn over even when the starter solenoid is bridged.
Im going to charge the battery tomorrow at work and we'll see from there.
Cheers Tom
Old 23-06-16, 06:42 AM   #4
Geodude
Mega Poster

Give the guide in my sig a try if you haven't already. So easy to follow even a mechtard like me can

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-16, 12:25 PM   #5
mep

The guide Geodude has linked to is very good and easy to follow. I have a printed copy in my Haynes for further reference.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-16, 03:50 PM   #6
RogerNeville

Check the Five way connector in the loom near the LHS sidepanel.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=197750&goto=newpost

Old 30-06-16, 08:24 PM   #7
froymot

right! i charged the battery, nothing on the button, turns over quicker when the solenoid is bridged- so i can guess that the battery was down from trying to get it going at the roadside BUT no spark when i bridge the solenoid and turn over the engine this way with ignition on.

i have continuity from one of the ignition wires to the starter solenoid (black and yellow at the solenoid) but didn't know where the other went at the time. since looking at a wiring diagram it goes to the ignition control unit via the coils (orange and white) so once i have checked and made sure that the clutch switch and or the side stand switch are not interfering then would i be right in thinking that the ignition control unit is at fault?

also on a quick glance on ebay they are expensive and hard to come by, the only one being in the US and over £100, so id rather be sure before i heads or tails it.
thanks for the help so far dudes!
Old 01-07-16, 10:51 AM   #8
yamrdtez

i to have this problem on my 99 curvy, have checked what geo has posted with no luck of finding the problem.
i have started to look into the genny, sometimes there is more spin on the starter than other times. if you get what i am trying to say. new r/r and battery. and bike is used daily
i must add that even if it cranks over slowly it still fires up
Old 04-07-16, 07:05 PM   #9
froymot

i bypassed the clutch switch and had a play with the side stand and now she starts on the button and sparks! BUT isn't charging.
my 12 month old upgrade reg rec also went up in smoke. so other than the checks ive found on here to see if the stator is doing its job properly does anyone have any preference on what reg rec is best to buy? genuine suzuki? el cheapo chinese? you tell me :S
my fried one is a mosfet which i upgraded to for piece of mind but now im not sure if it was at fault OR if the stator killed it.
Thanks for the help so far! let me know if im being an idiot!