SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-16, 01:03 PM   #1
Tdi90

Default Wiring help on a Kawasaki KLX250D

Mate got 2 early 90's non running KLX250's for £600. Made a deal with him that I'd get one running for him then keep the other for myself .
His is a KLX250E which just needed some dodgy wiring soldering, the carb stripped, cleaned and set up & a service so that was really easy (cost me about £20 in bits )

Mine is the D model (off road only) and has quite a few bits missing. The engine has compression but had no wiring loom at all so I've made one up. After 20 mins of kicking it over I still could not get a spark. Changed plug, coil & pick up from the running bike but still no spark so I reckon the CDI is dead.
I have a working one from the E model but its slightly different, pick up and coil connections are the same but the E CDI has an extra 3 wire plug. These wires go off to ignition switch, side stand switch, and brake light switch. Any one know if these would be neutral and if it'd be ok just to link them up and ground them? Not getting a spark with them not connected to anything so thinking the CDI needs a ground signal?

Dont fancy blowing up the CDI lol.

The plug in question is the one with the pencil pointed at it. (Its the wiring diagram for the E model, the D model only has front and rear light. No side stand switch etc)

Last edited by Tdi90; 01-07-16 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Wiring diagram
Old 01-07-16, 02:40 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wiring help on a Kawasaki KLX250D

i would need to see the whole diagram but from what i can see the BR (brown) is the main power feed. the other two are safety related loop. the other plug looks like its the spark control.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 02:48 PM   #3
Tdi90

Thanks. So in theory if I loop the BK/R & G/Y together and leave the BR disconnected I should get a spark?
Old 01-07-16, 02:53 PM   #4
Tdi90

Best piccy I can get
Old 01-07-16, 03:25 PM   #5
Tdi90

The loom I've made is bog basic with just a kill switch. Theres no battery or lights (this model is kick start only) so I've not wired in the regulator. Does the CDI need a 12v in to operate?
Who ever had the bike last took out the original 4 wire mag (R, W & 2 × Y) and replaced it with the E models 3 wire one (3 × yellow).
Old 01-07-16, 03:25 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if anything i would guess that the BR and GY need to be connected and the BR/R feed connected to GY. GY looks like its ignition ON and BR/R is check for sidestand with BR being power feed.

i'll study it a bit better later on.
Old 01-07-16, 03:30 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

as far as i know you need the reg/rec to bring the voltage down to 12vdc or you will fry everything. a reg/rec converts AC to DC without the conversion you are running full AC from genny.
Old 01-07-16, 06:03 PM   #8
Tdi90

Awesome, thanks.
Old 03-07-16, 01:13 AM   #9
Tdi90

Right, fingers crossed its sorted. Sat down with the engineers at work and have traced everything back with the help of google. We've made up a wiring diagram from scratch and I will make up a new loom in the next few days. After all this I hope the engines a good un lol.
Old 10-07-16, 01:34 AM   #10
Tdi90

New loom made, sparkplug is sparking, kill switch works, brakes sorted, all put back together and that's it
After 10 minutes of jumping on the kick starter and only getting a few little pops and bangs, its now up for sale. I'm far to old, unfit and short to be kick starting old trail bikes lol. Tbf, the other one (you can just about see it in the background) is lower, has leccy start and lovely to ride. Nice power delivery and very well balanced. Shame that ones not mine.
Mine still needs a gear lever, front sprocket cover and a chain but not keen on spending anything else on it. It's only cost me £25 to get it where it stands now.

No idea what its worth so its on eBay at 99p start