SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 15-04-08, 10:56 AM   #1
ejohnh

Default Normandy Beaches

Five of us from the WRC went for a tour of the Normandy landing beaches etc.

We left Wales on last Thursday afternoon and stopped overnight at a Travelodge in Bournemouth before catching the early ferry from Poole to Cherbourg.

First day we visited St Mere Eglise and the Utah beaches. Stopped overnight at a really nice BnB in Carentan with gated parking for the bikes. Found a nice restaurant with not so nice prices but with the slide in the pound against the Euro we are a bit up against it.

On the Saturday we toured the Omaha beach and memorial, went to Pont de Hoc where the rangers scaled the heights to take out the German gun emplacements, Gold and Sword Beaches and then stopped at Arromanches for coffee and toasties..

Another break at the Pegasis Bridge, where the Brit Paras landed the night before DDay, and then headed north to Fecamp where we were to stay the night. We had taken sleeping bags(I took a summer weight one doh!) and mats etc to spend the night in a 'scout hall'. It was bloody freezing there and with the cacophony of sounds made by 5 blokes who had downed a few pints I hardly got an hour's sleep all night. I couldn't wait to get up and start moving about to get some body heat going.

We blasted back to Caen early, stopping for a 2 hour coffee and toastie break on the way, and caught the faster ferry back to Portsmouth.

On the way back to Wales the Sunday traffic was heaving and we had to contend with several periods of heavy showers. My new Hein geyrick Gore-tex gloves were a bit thin for the temperature but no leaks whatsoever. Same comment about my Alpine stars smx boots.

All in all it was a good trip but next time I'll forget about choosing the beggar's free night option. That was sheer torture.

I clocked just over 700 miles, some of it over what seemed like farm tracks, and the SV ate it all up with no probs at all.

Taking the Mrs to lake Como for a long weekend this thursday(to accumulate some brownie points) and then the next bike trip is to France and Spain starting 23rd May. Hope it's a bit warmer by then!
Old 15-04-08, 11:01 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Normandy Beaches

Cool, sounds a great trip.

What is the WRC?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 11:05 AM   #3
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Cool, sounds a great trip.

What is the WRC?
Welsh Rideout Club.

Forgot to mention that the other bikes were: Ninja, FJR1300, Blade, Bandit 1250s. (mine 2003 reg SV650 K1).
Old 16-04-08, 09:12 AM   #4
Tara

Sounds like younhad a great time i would love to something like that too
Old 14-01-09, 08:10 PM   #5
GazandKatie

Sounds like you had a good time, we are planning a 10 day bimble round france in may. I have been trying to research B and B's on the web but with little joy. Will I be able to just ride into a town and find one easily or will we need to find somewhere and book in advance?
Old 14-01-09, 08:19 PM   #6
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazandKatie View Post
Sounds like you had a good time, we are planning a 10 day bimble round france in may. I have been trying to research B and B's on the web but with little joy. Will I be able to just ride into a town and find one easily or will we need to find somewhere and book in advance?
I would never book in advance. You want to keep all your options open. At that time of year you will be able to find places to stay easy. The cheap hotel chains are well worth a look.
Old 14-01-09, 08:52 PM   #7
GazandKatie

Thanks John, Will staying for one night be a problem?
Old 14-01-09, 08:53 PM   #8
hovis

we went a few monts ago

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ighlight=hovis
Old 15-01-09, 01:00 AM   #9
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazandKatie View Post
Thanks John, Will staying for one night be a problem?
No, most tourists stay single nights. A couple of us did 10 days thru France and Spain in may/june last year. Accommodation was no problem. It did rain every day though..
Old 15-01-09, 10:15 AM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
No, most tourists stay single nights. A couple of us did 10 days thru France and Spain in may/june last year. Accommodation was no problem. It did rain every day though..
Totally agree and many hotels have a garage / courtyard where the bike can be kept.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote