SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-08, 06:17 PM   #1
Pedrosa

Default Le Tour(Tour de France 2008)

Nice mods,sticky request please.

There are many cycling fans on the ORG or just those that take an interest in the Tour like many instantly become tennis fans when Wimbledon comes around. No matter.

Well we are about to push off for this year's event so who do you fancy to win it?

I think it a travesty that the brilliant Alberto Contador cannot defend his title due to his team,(not him) being banned. He would have been my choice.

However I have soft spot for Oscar Pereiro the 2006 champion, but my real hope this year has to be Alejandro Valverde. He has prepared by entering less events as a build up,but one's that offered a quality test for him.

Bring it on.
Old 03-07-08, 06:24 PM   #2
Woz

Default Re: Le Tour(Tour de France 2008)

I can't say I'm a fan of cycling but I love watching Le Tour. Ever since Channel 4 started showing it in the mid 90's, I've made a point of trying to catch it every year.

Being bloodthirtsy, I do love to see a mass pile-up during a sprint finish too. Especially when that mad Russian was riding a rew years back (why can you never remember a name when you need to?).

Edit... mad Uzbekistani, Djamolidine Abdoujaparov. What a nutter!

Last edited by Woz; 03-07-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 07:28 PM   #3
rob13

Was addicted to Le Tour as a kid (dunno why - I guess I thought I was gonna be a cyclist when I grew up) and was engrossed during the Indurain years and Virenque was King of the mountains.

Being suitably laid up at the moment, I feel I might see a lot of Le Tour 2008. I just hope that the doping scandals of the past wont be seen this year. Its about time, the event made the headlines for the right reasons.

Unfortunately I havent followed cycling for a while now and therefore can offer no tips for winners at all!
Old 03-07-08, 07:34 PM   #4
Dave The Rave

Yeah I like Le Tour too. I have my money back on the little Czech ... Kreuziger. Should be good this year as there is not a dominant rider.
Old 03-07-08, 07:58 PM   #5
sinbad

I think the whole thing should be the down-hill sections. Now those are entertaining.
Old 03-07-08, 10:53 PM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I think the whole thing should be the down-hill sections. Now those are entertaining.
Now you are talking, bring on the off roaders and watch some damn fine riding. Having ridden and watched mountain bike races, it makes you realise that these roadees must get awfully board when in the peleton, no wonder they all take drugs!

Just for the record, I have been a cyclist for twenty years, I used to cheer for Stephen Roach and Greg LeMond (the guy who competed despite having been shot on the knee with a 12 gauge!). Then I found off roaders and used to follow the career of John Tomac. Now he was a nutter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:52 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Nah going up hill is where its at. Nothing I like better than the drama and tension and sheer grit of watching the mountain stages.

I used to love the tour when I was a kid, Robert Millar, Greg Lemmond beating Fignon by those 9 seconds I was on the edge of my seat at that time trial in 89 and then the flawed genius that was Marco Pantani. The domination of Indurain. I was never a huge Lance fan, I admire the guy but theres something about him that I dont like seen a different side of him after reading some books about him.

I lost touch with it all when C4 stopped showing the coverage. Last years was brilliant drugs, controversy, drama. Lets hope no drugs this year but lots of drama and maybe David Millar or Mark Cavendish can win another stage or two.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 07:41 AM   #8
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Nah going up hill is where its at. Nothing I like better than the drama and tension and sheer grit of watching the mountain stages.

I used to love the tour when I was a kid, Robert Millar, Greg Lemmond beating Fignon by those 9 seconds I was on the edge of my seat at that time trial in 89 and then the flawed genius that was Marco Pantani. The domination of Indurain. I was never a huge Lance fan, I admire the guy but theres something about him that I dont like seen a different side of him after reading some books about him.

I lost touch with it all when C4 stopped showing the coverage. Last years was brilliant drugs, controversy, drama. Lets hope no drugs this year but lots of drama and maybe David Millar or Mark Cavendish can win another stage or two.
Ugly little fakker but christ could he ride up them cols. I used to have a poster of him on my bedroom wall - followed the Carrera team for a few years, always rated Pantani and Claudio Chiappucci. Big Mig was always the master though, seem to recall his resting pulse was 28bpm
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 07:46 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
Ugly little fakker but christ could he ride up them cols. I used to have a poster of him on my bedroom wall - followed the Carrera team for a few years, always rated Pantani and Claudio Chiappucci. Big Mig was always the master though, seem to recall his resting pulse was 28bpm
You sir are a man of taste. These are my two favourite cycling jersey, thought you might appreciate em

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 04:46 PM   #10
Filipe M.

And chalk another one for the "Pantani poster in the bedroom wall" club. The guy was simply amazing to watch, what happened to him was just a shame.